Just got a 2012 TDI

Seansf49

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Excited to join the forum after my purchase of a 2012 Jetta TDI! Got it from a dealer with 64k on the clock, new brakes and tires and fluids all around. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. They have a few kinks to work out sunroof is squeaky, trunk seems a bit floppy and the TMPS light won't come off despite trying to reset it but the dealer really seems to be taking care of any issue with these cars. There were a few other options with less miles but this one is pretty loaded and the service record was perfect. Bought in NM, stayed in NM throughout the process and serviced on time at every interval. Excited to start my journey to 300k!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Congrats on the purchase. I had a 2011 White, M6 with 170k when I turned it in. I always wonder if I will see that car again. They are fun to drive. Enjoy!

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Filling tires at one of those digital air compressor stations solves the TPMS light problem for me.

Drop all of the tire pressures several psi below normal, set the air pump to 38 psi, reinflate all of the tires, and reset the low tire warning light. The machine does a better job of inflating all 5 to the same pressure than I can do with a hand-operated gauge.
Filling station guys switch the air to 'free' because I buy 99% of my diesel there.

(Fifth tire is a full-size spare on a matching road wheel. Too much driving in the boonies for a compact donut, and the 'real' spare fits perfectly in the well).

Seansf49

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Dropped it back by the dealership. They had to swap out the switch for the tpms and fix a couple other things I noticed over my first few days of having it. Getting it back tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Congrats and welcome!

You'll find a ton of information in these forums from those that have come before you, so whatever your potential issues may be (knock on wood, none), rest assured others have likely experienced them and the answer to the solution is to be found here.

Search is your friend, but it does take some getting used to. The sheer amount of volume of material to read will seem daunting, but in my 14 yrs of being a member I can say I've learned a little something from every thread I've read. In the end, your TDI will thank you and your dieseling experience will be better than most (that is, if you prefer knowledge and wisdom instead of ignorant "bliss" like so many seem to).

The TPMS issue is no biggie; perhaps the batteries in one (or more) of the sensors is bad or they buggered them up when replacing the tires. Let them figure it out and fix it on their dime.

You don't say whether it's a 6M or a DSG; if DSG, I'd make sure the service records indicate a transmission service was done at/around 40K miles.

Being that it's a 2012 model, hopefully you are on a recently replaced battery.

The trunk issue sounds like the typical Mexican build quality/assembly experience, where little rattles are difficult to isolate and remedy. In many cases it turns out the spare tire isn't fully tightened down in the trunk, or other bits are loose in the spare tire wheel well area.

As long as the powertrain, suspension, brakes and body are good, these little niggling issues can be fixed in time (often on your own for free). There's no reason why you shouldn't make it to 300K miles just fine.

Drive more, worry less :)

dpcass90

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI SEL DSG
Congrats on the purchase. I just got my first Jetta TDI this weekend. They are awesome cars. I have the same gray color as your car which I think looks awesome.

Seansf49

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Congrats and welcome!

You'll find a ton of information in these forums from those that have come before you, so whatever your potential issues may be (knock on wood, none), rest assured others have likely experienced them and the answer to the solution is to be found here.

Search is your friend, but it does take some getting used to. The sheer amount of volume of material to read will seem daunting, but in my 14 yrs of being a member I can say I've learned a little something from every thread I've read. In the end, your TDI will thank you and your dieseling experience will be better than most (that is, if you prefer knowledge and wisdom instead of ignorant "bliss" like so many seem to).

The TPMS issue is no biggie; perhaps the batteries in one (or more) of the sensors is bad or they buggered them up when replacing the tires. Let them figure it out and fix it on their dime.

You don't say whether it's a 6M or a DSG; if DSG, I'd make sure the service records indicate a transmission service was done at/around 40K miles.

Being that it's a 2012 model, hopefully you are on a recently replaced battery.

The trunk issue sounds like the typical Mexican build quality/assembly experience, where little rattles are difficult to isolate and remedy. In many cases it turns out the spare tire isn't fully tightened down in the trunk, or other bits are loose in the spare tire wheel well area.

As long as the powertrain, suspension, brakes and body are good, these little niggling issues can be fixed in time (often on your own for free). There's no reason why you shouldn't make it to 300K miles just fine.

Drive more, worry less :)
Thanks for the info! The car has a perfect service history and was serviced at the same dealership I purchased it from. It has a dsg that was maintained at 40k. It has a new battery, brakes and tires all around. They swapped out the switch and replaced the trunk hinge as well as a few other things. I honestly couldn't be happier with the car. I've never driven anything quite like it. It makes me sad there won't be more in the future in the US from VW.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
snip... I honestly couldn't be happier with the car. I've never driven anything quite like it. It makes me sad there won't be more in the future in the US from VW.
That's great news then, happy motoring in your future. :)

And yes, it is said to think VW may have ruined small passenger diesels for the foreseeable future with their emissions scandal. Who knows what other manufacturers (Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, etc.) might have made it over here to compete.