View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:48   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
If electrification and/or hybridization of an American 'brute-force' muscle car is a sign of things to come in the mainstream automotive world for the US then, why not?
I totally agree. However, by the same token, why haven't hybrids in general become "the norm" by now? I would have expected it, Toyota certainly did. But after some 20+ years, they still seem to not only be somewhat rare, but even their systems are not even spilling over in great numbers to non-hybrids. I would have thought for sure we'd have more mild hybrids by now, sort of a glorified (but FAR better executed than the ill-fated GM C-trucks) start-stop setup.

We have more and more start-stop vehicles, but they are just using software, no real hardware changes. To me, one of the true hybrid's best attributes is its lack of a conventional starter and generator. They are integrated together into the bellhousing in one slim compact and generally trouble free unit. You could do this, and have a better, more reliable, FAR more durable start-stop feature, without actually employing the expensive and heavy high voltage battery pack of a conventional hybrid.

And this would, I would think, be not as huge of a cost increase, and would eliminate the specter of expensive battery pack service which we do on Priuses now almost weekly.

We DO have some pretty good use of electric steering assist. But beyond that, nothing. Still reliant on mechanically driven water pumps. Still reliant on engine driven A/C compressors.

With an integrated M/G setup, but without the battery, you wouldn't be able to employ regenerative braking to power the motor to get the vehicle moving again, but you could certainly use it to better manage the electrical loads. So every time you press the brakes, all the loads are "powered" by inertia. With modern computers, we already do this to some extent, but it is still done via an old fashioned mechanical driven alternator. Which is still run by the engine.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 6th, 2019 at 06:51.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06902 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.69 Kb. compressed to 15.88 Kb. by saving 1.81 Kb. (10.23%)]