Men driving TDI's women driving Escalades

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
Seriously...if a family man can happily drive a Golf Wagon TDI, does a woman really need to drive a Cadillac Escalade? The Escalade is a giant, behemoth of a vehicle guzzling fuel even when it's idling. They almost don't even look like a car. What is it's purpose? All for show I guess. I suppose it can pull a house and I can't but I can pretty much do everything else it does.

If women are supposed to be the conscience of the family, why on earth would a woman drive one of these cars? Money, money, money.

I don't get it. I must be too practical

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There are also a lot of men who drive Escalades. It is the American way - bigger equals better. Unfortunately, many people (of both sexes) believe this. Escalades, Hummers, Expeditions, etc., they are all the same story. It is just a bunch of people saying "look what I can afford to drive". It is mostly all about ego, it has nothing to do with brains.

Have Fun!

Don

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
My other main car is a Mazdaspeed Miata

My wife drives (not a lot, just around town mainly) a MINI Cooper (2009)

I gave my old (1995) Integra to our son to drive to/from Community College

For us the JSW IS huge, it's like an Escalade compared to driving the other cars....;)

Analogeezer

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If they can afford to pay for the fuel and maintenance for those "over-sized" vehicles more power to them.

And they drive them because it makes them feel safe. An ironically bad combination; a misplaced sense of safety and a 2 1/2 ton missile on wheels.

Last edited:

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I'll take my JSW or my 335d every time over the new co. escalade that I have access to. When I need to tow or move something big I use the Titan

Jason8691

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Women need the oversized vehicles so they can survive whatever mayhem they cause on the road? Remember the old saying: Women drivers, no survivors.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
I see more women driving VWs than men. Most men I see driving VWs are driving more of an enthusiast model though. All of the interest in my JSW have been from women and all of those are current SUV drivers. When the MK4s were current, so many women drove them that they were, in some circles, called Lesbian Mobiles, because apparently it was a girls only thing. I knew a lot of college aged girls that owned one. Don't forget the New Beetle in their first gen.

That said, a lot of soccer moms here drive quad cab trucks. And I mean A Lot. Some with lift kits and mud tires. Almost all men here drive similar trucks.

My demographic being from West Texas is not exactly normal in most other places. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I've driven a few of those big SUV's (friends cars): Big GM, big Toyota. The handling and chassis dynamics absolutely SUCK in my opinion. Just about any car handles better, and VW's are comparatively excellent. You could give me one of those things and I would not drive it. I don't get why folks like them. It's like driving a bus.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Extol the VW TDI wagons. Denounce the SUVs. Leave women out of it.

I hear what you are saying and I can agree with you but where is the social/environmental conscience of these so called "intelligent well-to-do" people? I can almost understand why a guy would drive an Escalade but to see a pint size woman (with all due respect) driving one just makes the lack of social conscience even more glaring.

If men who drive these pigs are insecure and need to show that size supposedly matters yet women are secure and don't need that show of strength, why would a women drive one? Heck drive a Chevy Cruze.

It's a free country I know so drive whatever you want but I just think the TDI with all of it's great features is a tremendously responsible car to drive yet selfishly fun at the same time. It's a win-win for everybody.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
There are also a lot of men who drive Escalades. It is the American way - bigger equals better. Unfortunately, many people (of both sexes) believe this. Escalades, Hummers, Expeditions, etc., they are all the same story. It is just a bunch of people saying "look what I can afford to drive". It is mostly all about ego, it has nothing to do with brains.

Have Fun!

Don

Egos and shortsightedness abound in North America. The higher-ups at these car companies would have you believe "Give the people what they want". It becomes a matter of the well-to-do egos saying "Lets buy something really stupid that we don't need and twice as big as necessary" and heck with what makes sense. They must all be insecure and poor performers in bed.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Why get an Escalade, when you could get a Ford Raptor? 35 inch tires on a factory vehicle is about as good as Big gets. BF Goodies AT at that.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
sounds like you are going after the wrong kind of woman....

why get a escalade or raptor when for the same price you could get a durmax/power stroke/cummins for the same price

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
sounds like you are going after the wrong kind of woman....

why get a escalade or raptor when for the same price you could get a durmax/power stroke/cummins for the same price

You have no idea how many of those trucks are rolling around my city.. are driven by people who have never pulled a trailer and mainly use them as Grocery Getters. I live 20 miles out of town and they drive those on their daily commute, clean as a whistle, parked at an office building and are probably spending $800 a month in fuel. I mean.. It's all good with me if that's how they spend their money. But it makes cringe to think about blowing more than my payment, insurance, maintenance and fuel combined just for a month of fill-ups.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Exactly

You have no idea how many of those trucks are rolling around my city.. are driven by people who have never pulled a trailer and mainly use them as Grocery Getters. I live 20 miles out of town and they drive those on their daily commute, clean as a whistle, parked at an office building and are probably spending $800 a month in fuel. I mean.. It's all good with me if that's how they spend their money. But it makes cringe to think about blowing more than my payment, insurance, maintenance and fuel combined just for a month of fill-ups.

I did have one of them trucks! (for work) Bye bye powerstroke!! enjoying the work wagons!

I like buying older as the insurance is less and we have personal property tax here- every 6 months for vehicles so the less the best.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I like buying older as well. You're right the insurance is cheaper. To me also way too many gadgets in cars these days. To me this means more issues I can potentially have down the road. Funny, my wife misses my truck more than I do by far :)

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
On my 2011 JSW, it's running me about $48 a month for insurance and that is not bottom coverage. I think it's pretty good. I'm 34. I have an additional $1 million dollar umbrella policy ($15 per month) that acts as a supplemental policy if my auto policy maxes out. I don't want to run out of coverage if I'm responsible for another persons injury and/or damage to their property. I'd certainly lose that battle. My brother had a head on with a guy that had the bare minimum and he actually had a $1 million dollar medical bill that luckily was covered by his health insurance. But that health insurance provider's lawyers probably had a field day on the other driver.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM

well the fact is the diesel truck get better fuel mileage... my truck get 12-16 MPG my dads lifted Durmax gets around 19-22 MPG and about 16 MPG when towing. If I tow the same load I get around 9 MPG.

The Durmax is bigger motor (6.6L), heavier truck, lifted, 40" tires, 3x faster then my truck (5.7L)

money has a way of filling the in the gaps, its all relative.

BJS02

TDI
'15 Passat SE 6MT
I have a 1 ton SUV sitting in my driveway that gets used when needed and for random trips to keep the fluids moving around. I am fortunate enough that today I can afford the additional costs of a 3rd vehicle so I do not need to drive such a large vehicle daily. To each his or her own... Why does the retired couple across the street both drive minivans when they have no grandchildren or children that visit?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your moral superiority has been duly noted :p
This. I've concluded I have no earthly idea how people choose to do what they do, weather it's the car or truck they drive, the house they live in, where they buy their clothing, or what they spend on food, liquor, or recreation. And I suspect no one has any earthly idea how I make decisions on those items, either. The only thing I can say I'm grateful for is I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose to do what I want.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I, too, have no interest in driving around in an urban assault vehicle. I do kind of like the ones with chrome, aftermarket wheels and low profile tires. Makes no sense! Anyway, I have a family of 4 and we're not giants, so Jettas suit us well. If you are routinely shuttling around 4 or 5 kids and their friends, then an SUV (or van) makes some sense. A lot of large families probably can't afford to buy an additional smaller car, so the gas guzzler is it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My biggest complaint about the XXL vehicles is that if you can't park it, then you shouldn't be driving it! I shouldn't have to sit in the grocery store parking lot because you can't get your truck into or out of a parking spot. Just to keep myself in hotwater, I made the same comment to my wife when she tried to ride the curb with the Golf.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Seriously...if a family man can happily drive a Golf Wagon TDI, does a woman really need to drive a Cadillac Escalade? The Escalade is a giant, behemoth of a vehicle guzzling fuel even when it's idling. They almost don't even look like a car. What is it's purpose? All for show I guess. I suppose it can pull a house and I can't but I can pretty much do everything else it does.
If women are supposed to be the conscience of the family, why on earth would a woman drive one of these cars? Money, money, money.
I don't get it. I must be too practical
Penis Envy?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
My biggest complaint about the XXL vehicles is that if you can't park it, then you shouldn't be driving it! I shouldn't have to sit in the grocery store parking lot because you can't get your truck into or out of a parking spot. Just to keep myself in hotwater, I made the same comment to my wife when she tried to ride the curb with the Golf.
what most people dont understand is you can always back a truck (or car) tighter into a spot then pulling forward, but that require you looking back and constantly checking all your mirrors at the same time. most people now a days don't look back, its usually in 1 mirror only... if that...

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Preach it brother! Before christmas a woman in a red truck (quad cab, lifted) turned down a parking lane and went past a vacant place near the end with me following her. She started backing up, forcing me to back into a traffic lane 4 times at Walmart. There was no way that she could have seen me in the mirror, not that she had the right to reverse in a one way lane. After th 4th time I laid on the nice loud VW horn. After she parked she said "'What's wrong? People usually let me backup" I said that's because they don't want their new cars to have tire marks on the hood."

kapps

TDI
2014 Golf 6MT
I live down in the south where jacked up trucks barreling down the highway at speeds higher than their tires speed rating is a common occurrence. Me? The Golf is the largest car I've ever had. Still getting used to it actually. I took my driving test in my parents 2000 Honda Insight (they still have it at 150k miles), my beloved 2002 MINI Cooper S which I traded for the Golf, and my project 1970 Lotus Europa which will make even the most petite girl look normal. I'm 6'4" mind you.

I understand work trucks if you regularly need to haul but when people are spending $75+ to get to work every week! it's pretty dumb. Heck, I had a hitch on the MINI and brought a 600lb air compressor across town. The one time a year I need to haul 5k lbs, I'll rent a uhaul.