How do you remove panoramic sunroof sunshade repair?

bens993

TDI
2011 JSW
I'm replacing my sunshade on a 2011 sportwagen. I have the headliner out but appears both glass panels have to be removed. Anyone know how to do this? There are several threads but none specifically for the mk6.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It appears that you only need to remove the rear sunroof glass. I have never done this, but this is what I know:

Removing Pano sunshade: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_sun_shade.pdf
Removing Pano Rear Glass: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Rear_Glass.pdf
Sunroof Adaptation (needed after replacement): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Adaptation.pdf

Note: These instructions say they are for 2005-2008 pano roofs, but these were never sold in the US. The (US) 2009 is exactly the same and I have been told that the 2009 - 2013 (and probably 2014) "Sportwagens" have the exact same part numbers for all Pano sunroof parts. Therefore, the instructions above will probably be helpful to you.

bens993

TDI
2011 JSW
Reinstalled Sunshade Doesn't Close

Wow thanks that was very helpful.

I got the shade installed but when I went to close it the shade starts to close but then it stops and goes back. Does this mean it needs the adaptation mode performed? I was just trying to test it before I reinstalled the rear glass panel.

I included some of the obstacles I encountered. Hopefully it will help someone as it isn't clear in the manual it takes 10 times to get it right.

The rear glass panel fairly easy to remove. The ***** is feeding the spring into the track and lining it all up. The shade assembly is cumbersome because the shade and spring are supposed to route through a channel on the shade roll holder. it pops out easily while you are thing to feed the spring in the track. If the side of the shade pops out of the channel while installing it the spring will be crooked in the track. A dental pic and lots of light help a lot. I thought the shade assembly would be a all in one snap in piece. It was a roles up piece of sunshade material with the spring. You simply place the shade roll in the holder. Then feed the shade material and spring (all one piece) through the channnel in the holder. If you ask me this is a bad design and is a failure waiting to happen. The roll just sets in the holder. A better design would have included a spring loaded roller like on a window shade.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I got the shade installed but when I went to close it the shade starts to close but then it stops and goes back. Does this mean it needs the adaptation mode performed?
I suspect so. As I said, I have not done this, so I am no expert but it sounds like the pinch protection is not working right and the adaptation is supposed to reset the pinch protection. It can't hurt to try it, it sounds like a very simple procedure. I would watch is very closely as it closes the first time, just in case it gets caught on something.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Since you already have the headliner down, you can probably see the sunshade motor. You can stick an Allen wrench into that motor and manually open and close the shade without power. This might be a way to safely test operation before you try the adaptation.

Last edited:

bens993

TDI
2011 JSW
Sunshade installed and working.

It turns out the right side of sunshade and spring popped out of the feed channel in the holder. I was able to pop it back over with a small screwdriver being careful to only put pressure under the metal spring part of the shade. I couldn't find a place to crank the shade motor by hand but I just tested it with the switch. No adaptation needed. This is probably because I didnt remove the front glass.

Next dilemma is I didnt expect the wire harness connector for the visor would be attached to roof of the car with a metal bracket. I ended up tearing the ribbon type harness. If i can't fix it with jumper wires and solder I will get one from the dealer for $ 77.00 All in Im under $350 to fix it myself. Not bad considering the dealer wants 5 hours labor.

Thanks for your help. Now that I have done it, I can give guidance to anyone on the forum who want to diy.

smtelegadis

TDI
Jetta SportWagon
There have been changes to the part numbers and Assembly. New track clips are necessary if you attempt this repair. Parts department neglected to tell me either of those things when I ordered. Had to take apart and replace the Headliner twice while waiting for the part.

I really hated doing this repair. It wasn't hard just time consuming. Worst part is the new liner is now failing as well. It's just a terrible design I'm buying a heat sheild, tinting the glass and cutting my losses.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yet another reason for not having something as ridiculous as a Pano sunroof. What a really stupid thing to put on a car.

Just awesome. An option that at some point might cost you $3000+ to repair.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
There have been changes to the part numbers and Assembly. New track clips are necessary if you attempt this repair. Parts department neglected to tell me either of those things when I ordered. Had to take apart and replace the Headliner twice while waiting for the part.
I really hated doing this repair. It wasn't hard just time consuming. Worst part is the new liner is now failing as well. It's just a terrible design I'm buying a heat sheild, tinting the glass and cutting my losses.
One of our friends kids carpooled with us yesterday and ended up ripping out the shade on the passenger side from the rails. We let them know but doubt the will even share any of the costs to replace the shade.

I'm now considering doing the repair myself. Can someone please post all necessary part numbers for this repair? Btw...my interior is cornsilk beige. Thanks in advance.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Rambalu how did your install go, or how much did it cost to get fixed?
I haven't gotten it fixed yet. With all the dieselgate drama, I am still holding out to see what the fate of my car will be.

However, I have gotten quotes ranging from $1200 - $2600 for the fix, both from the same dealership. The $1200 fix is to replace only what is essential (sunshade ($348), guidepiece ($52) & bracing ($110) + labor) and the dealer claims that they may not be able to guarantee this fix. The $2600 fix includes replacing the pieces listed above as well as the frame ($869) and deflector ($229) plus additional labor.

Another dealership quoted me $1300 for the first option, but told me that they don't typically like to take on this work.

antikid

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I am in the same boat. My sunshade messed up a few weeks ago. I cut the shade off and am waiting until there is an answer on dieselgate.

zachmain02

TDI
06 Jetta
I got the drain tubes fixed 7 months ago, now its leaking again. The dealer says its the frame this time. $2000+. Anyone know if this is something hat can be fixed with sealer/epoxy/silicone? Im not usually into badly patching up problems, but $2000 is too much if i might have to sell it back anyway.

The leak is rear passenger corner of the pano sunroof. Im thinking of pulling the rear glass and patching the leaking spot. Please stop me if this sounds like a terrible idea!

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
I got the drain tubes fixed 7 months ago, now its leaking again. The dealer says its the frame this time. $2000+. Anyone know if this is something hat can be fixed with sealer/epoxy/silicone? Im not usually into badly patching up problems, but $2000 is too much if i might have to sell it back anyway.
The leak is rear passenger corner of the pano sunroof. Im thinking of pulling the rear glass and patching the leaking spot. Please stop me if this sounds like a terrible idea!
Perhaps their fix wasn't sufficient. Getting to the rear drain tubes is relatively easy. I fixed mine last weekend and it took less than an hour. There is an excellent video on YouTube on 2010 Sportwagen panoramic roof drain repair. You just remove 2 torx nuts and everything else snaps off. You can reach the drain tubes and pull them off the roof channel. Blow through the tubes and if you hear any air between the tube and the nipple which attaches to the roof, you found the leak. Just seal with silicone and then put a bit inside the nipple so you have a good seal. the silicone was used to seal the connection and then I wrapped some blue painters tape around the repair so I didn't have to wait a day for it to dry. I just put a bit more silicone around the inside of the connector and pushed it back on and snapped everything back. I did the fronts last summer and they haven't leaked.

zachmain02

TDI
06 Jetta
leaking pano sunroof fixed

My leak ended up not being the infamous drain tubes. I had a pano sunroof frame leaking in the rear passenger corner according to the dealer. 2000+ to replace. I took the rear glass off and lowered the rear headliner. All the info on how to do those two things is in other posts. The leak ended up being more of a matter of poor design as it was not broken in any way.

The gutters that direct the water to the drain tubes are attached to the frame of the car and the pano sunroof frame is attached to the gutters. where these connections are made, particularly where the pano frame attaches to the gutters, there are unprotected seams that lead straight into the car. I am sorry I didn't take pictures as I went.

The rear corners of the sunroof are the most susceptible because the water running from the rear gutter (parallel to the trunk) are not as deep. The water only has to splash over a 1/8 lip to access one of the unprotected seams.

The fix for me was to use high quality indoor/outdoor silicone to fill in all the seams that let water in. It took about half an hr to fill them all in. Let the silicone dry, clamp off the drain tube, fill the gutter with water and make sure there are no leaks.

I also added silicone to the drain tubes since I had access to them.

hope this helps anyone in the same situation I was in!

-Zach

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
Panoramic sunroof sunshade question

Hello, Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I am wondering if anyone knows about the fitment of the sunshade I am in the process of replacing the headliner on my daughters 2009 Sportwagen and am having a hard time sourcing the sunshade replacement in aftermarket. The dealer wants @ $600.00 for the sunshade and some replacement guide pieces. There are aftermarket sunshades for $50 - $60 available but the sellers do not seem to know what vehicles they fit. The part number the aftermarket sellers use is 1K9-877-307-A
with a few additional numbers at the end. I am wondering if the last #'s are color codes or actual differences in the shade. Does anyone know of a compatibility chart that tells what truly fits what vehicle I am just trying to get a new sunshade in a lt gray color close to the recovered headliner that fits and works.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
My turn to share my sunshade replacement experience.

The metal "tray" and that roll of fabric is sold together as an "assembly," but at a high price (~$340). It's the fabric roll that usually fails, so your best bet is to just buy another fabric roll on ebay or amazon. The part number would be:
1K9877307B

I learned the hard way, and thought I had to buy the entire tray / fabric roll assembly. I installed my sunshade assembly but made one fatal installation error, and when testing the rolling / unrolling operation, the fabric would not roll back into the tray. The fabric rolls up with the aid of the two steel "clocksprings" on each of the fabric's side, and mine literally straightened itself when it started jamming up. When removing the sunshade assembly from the car, I realized the fabric roll was simply placed into the tray, and that I could just buy another fabric roll and plop it back into this try for another "go around." A few clicks on eBay and I was out another $30.

I don't know how other power retractable sunshades in the automotive industry work, but this design is extremely terrible. Guiding the fabric clocksprings into the sunshade rail is a test of patience, ripping out half the headliner is a workout for the fingers, and the instructions (I had access to even the updated VW procedures) were almost like looking at optical illusions.

Having said that, I can offer a few tips, even though my install failed.

1) No need to remove the entire headliner. In fact, it's easier to have the headliner dangling so that it can hold the sunshade assembly close to the rails while you work those fabric clocksprings into the rail.
2) The ends of my fabric clocksprings had these slots, and each was inserted with a separate metal "tab," probably used for better holding the clocksprings. Once the clocksprings were inserted into the sunshade rail, they're extremely vulnerable to slipping back off / out the rail as you work the other clockspring in. Use the guide clips temporarily hold the clockspring ends in place.
3) It's only AFTER you get the clocksprings into the sunshade rail can you finally bolt the tray onto the mounting bracket. BUT (and I must emphasize this), follow the diagram exactly, down to the placement of the fabric. I believe I had tabs on the tray incorrectly positioned with respect to the sunshade rail, and therefore the tabs weren't able to "guide" the fabric back into the tray. That's my hunch, as I'm still trying to figure out if that was the actual culprit.
4) A sunroof "adaptation procedure" was not necessary, as everything removed and installed were strictly mechanical.

5) Since your rear glass is removed, it's a good time to spray the sunroof silicone grease into the rails.

TDITS

TDI
Jetta
Sportswagen Panoramic Sunshade replacement

Hi. Wondering if anyone has recent information about this problem. My sunshade coil is dislodged and otherwise broken so it won't roll up and needs to be replaced. It's a 2013 Jetta Sportswagen. I see the previous thread that is years old now. All electronics are working. I just got an $1800+ quote from VW Dealer. Would appreciate anyone that has completed this repair with first hand experience contacting me. Thanks!

I just saw ttcheung's post. That's helpful.

Last edited:

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Late reply with long read...

A week after my initial failure with the sunshade install, I bought ONLY a replacement fabric roll from eBay, with the clocksprings and mounting rubber strip and etc attached to it. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy from China vendors since VW has a huge presence over there.

This time around I followed the diagram down to the exact placement of the fabric. I also noticed that the fabric had to be precisely stretched over the tray’s sheetmetal “curvature,” which was crucial to getting the fabric to roll back up into the tray. I unfortunately made this slight oversight and didn’t stretch the fabric when bolting up the assembly to the mounting bracket; a quick roll/unroll test started jamming the fabric. I quickly stopped the motor and proceeded to unbolt the assembly from the car. Then I removed the fabric roll from the tray and literally manually “re-sprung” the clock springs to give back its torsion. The clocksprings weren’t without some small kinks, but was otherwise salvageable.

I put the fabric roll back into the tray, and probably for the fourth or fifth time, I reinstalled the assembly back into the car. By this time I was getting pretty confident with guiding those clock springs into the rail. Prior to bolting the assembly to the mounting bracket, I made certain that the fabric roll was stretched over the tray’s curvature. With the assembly bolted up I gave it one more test, and this time it was successful.

As someone mentioned, it’s not that difficult, just time consuming and not the most ergonomic. Glass removal was straightforward, ripping out rear pillar trim pieces required finger strength, and guiding the clocksprings and lining up the assembly was a test of patience. No special tools needed, just the usual VW TORX bits. And again, 95% you’ll only need the fabric roll.

I know certain members abhor the pano roof; I too had the infamous pool of water in the spare tire wheelwell due to careless assembly workers routing the drain tubes incorrectly. However, I still enjoy spinning that moonroof dial to “full open” whenever given the chance.

hephaestus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
I have a 14 JSW TDI. All the ebay fabrics listed in this thread claim to not fit my vehicle. Does anyone have a link to one that does?

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I guess VW/Audi really sucks at sourcing quality sunshades.

This seems to be a very common problem with the B8 A/S/RS-4/5, as well. I'm curious if they're the same part number. I'd bet they used the same manufacturer to make them though.

Vivyiko

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen MK6
Thank you!!

It appears that you only need to remove the rear sunroof glass. I have never done this, but this is what I know:
Removing Pano sunshade: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_sun_shade.pdf
Removing Pano Rear Glass: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Rear_Glass.pdf
Sunroof Adaptation (needed after replacement): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Adaptation.pdf
Note: These instructions say they are for 2005-2008 pano roofs, but these were never sold in the US. The (US) 2009 is exactly the same and I have been told that the 2009 - 2013 (and probably 2014) "Sportwagens" have the exact same part numbers for all Pano sunroof parts. Therefore, the instructions above will probably be helpful to you.
Your links helped me get the sunshade replaced today! Just wanted to thank you for posting this!!
Michael

Vivyiko

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen MK6

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I guess VW/Audi really sucks at sourcing quality sunshades.

This seems to be a very common problem with the B8 A/S/RS-4/5, as well. I'm curious if they're the same part number. I'd bet they used the same manufacturer to make them though.

The problem, from my observations, is more related to the construction of of the fabric roll. It's without structure, and the clocksprings on the ends are the only things keeping it rolled up. Recall the old skool roll-up window blinds; those have a rod to help aid with a more "organized" rolling up sequence. The fabric roll for the VW doesn't have that. If VW integrated some sort of bendable rod for the fabric to roll onto, it might help extend longevity.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
The problem, from my observations, is more related to the construction of of the fabric roll. It's without structure, and the clocksprings on the ends are the only things keeping it rolled up. Recall the old skool roll-up window blinds; those have a rod to help aid with a more "organized" rolling up sequence. The fabric roll for the VW doesn't have that. If VW integrated some sort of bendable rod for the fabric to roll onto, it might help extend longevity.
I had a similar thought. I've been meaning to pull my sunroof out and pull the shade so that I can take it apart and see if it can be fixed or improved easily, but I've been working on setting up my MK2 for a track day, so everything else has been on the back burner.

donnyglaze

TDI
2011 TIguan
3) It's only AFTER you get the clocksprings into the sunshade rail can you finally bolt the tray onto the mounting bracket. BUT (and I must emphasize this), follow the diagram exactly, down to the placement of the fabric. I believe I had tabs on the tray incorrectly positioned with respect to the sunshade rail, and therefore the tabs weren't able to "guide" the fabric back into the tray. That's my hunch, as I'm still trying to figure out if that was the actual culprit.
Where can I get my hands on these updated VW procedures you talked about earlier? I had this same problem during my install. The shade closed fine, but when I went to retract it, the clock spring got all twisted up and ruined. Maybe the clockspring didn't follow the plastic tabs into the tray correctly?

This time around I followed the diagram down to the exact placement of the fabric. I also noticed that the fabric had to be precisely stretched over the tray’s sheetmetal “curvature,” which was crucial to getting the fabric to roll back up into the tray. I unfortunately made this slight oversight and didn’t stretch the fabric when bolting up the assembly to the mounting bracket; a quick roll/unroll test started jamming the fabric.

I put the fabric roll back into the tray, and probably for the fourth or fifth time, I reinstalled the assembly back into the car. By this time I was getting pretty confident with guiding those clock springs into the rail. Prior to bolting the assembly to the mounting bracket, I made certain that the fabric roll was stretched over the tray’s curvature. With the assembly bolted up I gave it one more test, and this time it was successful.
This may have also been the problem I had when retracting the shade. Can you go into a little more detail about how you stretched the fabric over the trays curvature? Stretched in what directions? What diagram are you referencing?

Thanks for the help on this!

slacker83

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Mine just recently failed and I think I'm going to remove the fabric and tint the sunroof glass so hopefully I don't need the shade. Mostly out of laziness.

kenrinc

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah I've got the parts to do this one. Not looking forward to it. The passenger side clip was destroyed during a retrack and for some reason I cannot retract all the way back. It goes part way then comes back. I thought it might be because there were still some broken pieces left in the track but so far I have not found anymore. I have not removed the cartridge yet so we will see if that solves that problem. Thankfully new clips arrived with the new sunshade. Will take a look at this tonight.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I wish I knew how to attach files from my hard drive onto this forum, it only takes links for pictures. If you PM me your email address then I could email you the VW shop instructions, albeit in German.

Apologies for the late response, but I don't get notifications from the forum.

kenrinc

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks, much appreciated. I think I'm moving forward. It turns out the old rollup springs that were torn from the old sunshade were still in place in the tracks and I believe the clips were hitting the tracks, which the motor senses and then sends them back the other way. Bens993 post actually gave me the hint on that one. Thanks! I now see that the front flat edge of the cassette roll holder assembly fits just at the back of the sunroof covering up the openings. If you look at this with the glass off it looks as if this is all part of the sunroof assembly. This seems obvious but until you actually take the cassette mount out, it's kinda of hard to get a real good view of how everything goes together. Much easier to understand now. Ran out of time last night will tackle the new roll install today.

Ken-

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Original owner of a 2013 wagon with a pano. So far, have just had clogged drains to fix. Cant wait for these other failures. I'll be going the route of cutting the shade and tinting. Ain't nobody got time for all that replacement.
I wish I didn't concede the battle of "I want a panoramic sunroof" with the wife. But it's her dd, and she makes more $$ than me.