Carbon removal caused engine damage!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
After re-reading your initial post (for the umpteenth time), it appears no only that there is a good chance a chunk of crud flaked off and was ingested by the engine, but you may have experienced a blow-turbo as well.

Leaking oil out the exhaust while engine is idling.......

If the seal on the exhaust side of the Turbo is worn really bad as well as the shaft bushing (bearing), it will dump oil while idling ... Out on the road, such a leaky Turbo will not be quite as bad considering exhaust back-pressure is much higher which helps keep the oil leak in check.

Yep! There could be other issues as well.

Nicrocc

TDI
Golf
I haven't found the time to pull the head yet. But I let it run for a while yesterday and oil started spilling out of the tail pipe.Has any one went through this before?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Leaking oil out the tail pipe is a sign of turbo failure. Stop running the engine because even if it just idles the oil is coming from the crankcase and eventually you will run out of oil and the engine will seize.

I suppose it’s possible that your only problem is a dead turbo. Possible....but you need to at least do the compression test to find out. If that test doesn’t yield good results then you’ll need to pull the head. Yes I would think your friend would be falling all over himself trying to help you out on this since it was his naïveté around Diesel engines that caused this problem.

Nicrocc

TDI
Golf
Thanks for the input guys. I’m just trying to figure out where to start. And my friend will be going half on this with me.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I tend to agree that the OP may have a Turbo on the way out. However, you'd be surprised at the amount of oil that will come out around the "compression" seals (metal, similar to a piston ring) when there is no back pressure, either side (Exhaust or Compressor).

I did a TB job for a friend, 04 PD engine. He sent a couple of friends to get the car (110k miles on the engine). Well, about five miles from my place the Turbo hose come loose. The dude drove the car on to the owner's house. I got a call from him. When I picked up the car oil was everywhere. I had no way to put the hose on at his house. I drove the car back to my garage (virtually no power). I had to pressure wash it to get the oil off. I replaced the hose and the car is just fine, three years later as a daily driver and several trips to Florida.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
It's puked the turbo. Don't toy around. All you can do is more harm. Take the head off.

Where is your 'friend' when you need him?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
leaking or cold oil seals on the pistons create excessive back pressure or blowby* in the Crank, CCV would see lots of oil vapor and splatter leading to more in the intercooler. I have explained this many times already and it would not show up in the exhaust, well not like this.

Op, god bless him, is trying to get things sorted but seems to be making things worse by not taking our advice.
Pull the head, take turbo out, measure the play and what not and fix stuff, stop making bad decisions on your own, were here to help you and are happy to do so. Just dont go putting chemicals in your oil to stop the leak, dont do anyting other than what we all ask you to do. dont tryst your "friends or mechanics" most mechanics look at our cars and instantly know a fact and 1 of 2 things happen, they say no way i dont know or they say yes i know and thats both bad. They know if you have no idea whats wrong than you will know things about how bad they dont know about TDI's and your going to get screwed over, like you did. Im really sorry about your TDI having this issue, is a BIG issue and you need to take the right steps to correct it.

Last edited:

Nicrocc

TDI
Golf
Finally cracked Motor open

I pulled the head off no visible damage.turbo is broken. Worries me because the engine lost oil pressure when it broke down. Oil was coming out of exhaust while running, no power. I don’t want to put engine back together and fined out that the buttom end is broken.

What could of cause me to lose oil pressure?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The engine started with a normal level of oil and probably lost enough to starve the oil pump.
That's what caused the 'huge cloud of smoke'.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I pulled the head off no visible damage.turbo is broken. Worries me because the engine lost oil pressure when it broke down. Oil was coming out of exhaust while running, no power. I don’t want to put engine back together and fined out that the buttom end is broken.
What could of cause me to lose oil pressure?

When the turbo goes you don’t necessarily loose oil pressure right away. What happens is the turbo allows oil to enter the intercooler hose and then blows it out the exhaust. Resulting is lots of smoke and oil dripping out the tailpipe.

Eventually if you run the car long enough all the oil from the crankcase is pumped into the boost pipes and then the exhaust and you run out of oil. Resulting in low or no oil pressure.If you take the boost pipe apart at the intercooler you’ll probably have 2 or more quarts of oil come out creating a huge mess.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
When the turbo goes you don’t necessarily loose oil pressure right away. What happens is the turbo allows oil to enter the intercooler hose and then blows it out the exhaust. Resulting is lots of smoke and oil dripping out the tailpipe.

Eventually if you run the car long enough all the oil from the crankcase is pumped into the boost pipes and then the exhaust and you run out of oil. Resulting in low or no oil pressure.If you take the boost pipe apart at the intercooler you’ll probably have 2 or more quarts of oil come out creating a huge mess.
I can attest to this 1st hand. Yesterday i just had a runaway experience from my gt2052 failing MASSIVELY. im pulling it out today to check it. I was able to stall it out almost immediately by keeping it in 4th.
I chose to take the boost pipe off and limp it home. I have a oil psi gauge and i never saw anything out of the ordinarily. about 15psi of oil pressure when hot is what my worn out AHU runs at about 2,000 rpm. i didn't go over that rpm limping it home so i can say with confidence that you usually dont drop oil pressure by more than 1 or 2 PSI from a failed turbo.
within about 1 mile, the dipstick went from full at the top of the bend to about 3/4 up. this is about 1 quart in my experience with this car. maybe 3/4 of a quart but that was lost in about 1 mile at only a max of 2,000 rpms

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488149

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
With the cylinder head off, you now need to measure piston projection. Some like to call it protrusion. The pistons are supposed to come above the cylinder block an even amount. If there is a variation of more than .005", that is excessive.

Measure both sides of the pistons, in line with the wrist pins, paying particular attention to the piston(s) that are under the worst damaged valves. Many use a magnetic base with a dial indicator. Zero the gauge on the cylinder block, then move the stylus over the thin edge outside of the valve relief pocket and roll piston through TDC, looking for the highest read. Repeat measurement on both sides of all pistons.

A rough measurement for a two hole head gasket is .039"-.043". If that is good, you didn't bend a rod.

We had someone call yesterday that had low oil pressure and it was due to broken oil pan and oil loss. The crank bearings were squeezing out of their shells. In that case, he was really lucky that the crank did not get galled. The clearances for the bearings were huge, causing drop in oil pressure.

It could be that the oil pump is shot or that one of the three pressure relief valves between the oil pump and two in the filter housing are stuck open with debris. Also, no shaft in the turbo...well, there you go...

Check in with me. We got lots of experience with this issue.