Sprint 520 vs PP520

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
i am sure there has been much debate on this subject, but i am going to order injectors after i finish my high pix, but i wanted to hear some of the pro/cons of the sprint520 and pp520's. power gains, economy, reliability etc. thanks in advance

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Dyno plots with the PP520's -vs- stock are abundant, and there is absolutely NO down side to having 'em. I get the same mileage as before (as long as I keep full-throttle romps down to 2 or 3 a day) I have no smoke, nothing but grins. Easy installation, 20% more power, same fuel economy. It's a no brainer.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Aghghghghghgh! I HATE YOU JP!

I'm getting moditis again

I hold you responsible

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
The nice, warm hangar and Mr. Tim's tools are all ready for you to do the install when you get your nozzles, Nick. Come on over and join us on the dark side.
Here's a little motivation for ya': Blue = you, red = me.
Bwaaahahahahahahaha!!!

-ps- I am ignoring the fact that you put a D/G shifter kit in this weekend

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Expect about 10 hp and 20 ft-lb torque gain over stock with the Sprint520.
Some dynos have shown as high as 112 hp and 215 ft-lb with the PP520 on an otherwise stock car (ALH). Generally, though, you can count on about twice the torque gain and about 5-10 hp more with the powerplus versus sprint over stock ALH injectors.
One downside to the PP520 that "gern" failed to mention is the wait time for the different Powerplus nozzles. Shouldn't be too bad of a wait for the time being, though.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
What KERMA isn't mentioning is that although I had to wait about 4 months to get mine,
<font color="red"> IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!! </font>

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
So if I decided to jump up from Sprints to PPs, the difference would be noticable?

Hmmm.............

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
You should also consider the fact that with PP520 your clutch is much more likely to slip and cause problems.
The clutch in our beloved TDI's is the weak link in the drive train. Getting an aftermarket clutch is expensive and problems are possible with it.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
So if I decided to jump up from Sprints to PPs, the difference would be noticable?

Hmmm.............
Giuseppe intended the Powerplus 520 to upgrade the TDI 110 with more torque. Those cars come from the factory with 150P520 nozzles (sprint520 equivalent). So, yes.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
I added the PP520's with about 30k miles on an '03 Golf and absolutely love them! I now have 52k miles and have been down the drag strip quite a few times. The only time the clutch has ever slipped was on a REALLY cold morning. I always accelerate pretty hard and look forward to adding the aftermarket clutch so I can go with the PD150 turbo and RC 3.1 chip.

Few other notes about the PP520s: very noticable power increase, MUCH easier to pass on 55mph 2 lane roads, and merging onto 70mph expressways became much more fun. 100mph comes pretty quickly when you roll onto the throttle in 5th (so I heard). Best mod money I have ever spent on a vehicle. Fuel economy really depends on how you drive it. I accelerate pretty hard all the time and still get at least 650 mi / tank and could have easily broken 800 on an all highway tank from Detroit to Maine (my wife needed to stop with 786 miles and the fuel light hadn't come on yet - doh!)

Smoke is also not an issue. I have played with my IQ a little bit and can see a little smoke in the mirrors when there are headlights behind me in the evening. The smoke was a little easier to see after I added a rear-exit exhaust/mufflerectomy but would clear after a second or two of full throttle.

My recommendation - go with the PP520s and invest in the CAT 2 micron fuel filter. I'd do it again in a second. I also highly recommend the Dieselgeek Race Shift kit - these mods greatly improve the fun factor of the car.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
My only concern is with the clutch. Temps here are never below 30, and 99% of the rest of the time, it is much warmer.

How much might a cluch job cost? Im guessing that the VR6 clutch is the only way to go here.....

tx

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Here JP, rub some rock salt in it, that sea salt is for wussies!

Oh well, I guess I've got that DG-SS. Nyah nyah nyah nyah

(that was for the bwahahahahahaha!)

****Must.....Resist....the pull of....the DARK FORCE....***