02J shifter swap kit for 02A transmissions

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
MK4 jetta tdi , alh wagon
02J shifter swap kit for 02A/early 02J transmissions

I'm selling all the parts needed for swapping your old 02A style shifter mechanism to the newer 02J one. This fits any 02a and earlier mk4 (pre-2000)
Kit includes:
Shifter assembly
cables and bracket
shifter tower and coupler
reverse light with pigtail to splice to your harness.
price is $170 + s&h (my source raised the price,sorry)
(things are sold as is ,when taken off)

If you only need certain parts ,not the whole setup..I can provide those too as long as I have them. :)
pictures:

this is the ball type but I also sometimes carry the clip style

Last edited:

turborado

TDI
none
02J shifter swap for 02A

I just purchased the conversion kit from mrurbina and is complete with good parts. Fast shipping and no hassles. Two thumbs up!!

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Would this kit work on a 1997 Passat? Would any modifying need to be done to retain the original shift knob?
If it'll work have any available?

Last edited:

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
here's a picture of what clip ends look like.

some people prefer those over the ball/socket type ..but they're pretty much the same.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Would this kit work on a 1997 Passat? Would any modifying need to be done to retain the original shift knob?
If it'll work have any available?
Yes, it'll work, Windex swapped one in the B4V I bought. He cut a little off the top of the shifter and tapped it so the OEM shifter screws right on. I can get pictures if you want.

He also added the short shifter and it shifts smoother and better than any car I have driven yet. I'll be doing the same thing to my sedan when spring arrives.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, it'll work, Windex swapped one in the B4V I bought. He cut a little off the top of the shifter and tapped it so the OEM shifter screws right on. I can get pictures if you want.

He also added the short shifter and it shifts smoother and better than any car I have driven yet. I'll be doing the same thing to my sedan when spring arrives.
Here is what Abacus' 02J install looks like (in car):

There was a little clearancing needed to have the shifter box sit flush to the tunnel - a notch at the base, and about 3/16" at the top left to clear the linkage on the shifter.

Alternatively, you can use threaded rod and spacers to space the box down (would require some sort of insulation to keep out road/wind noise/air intrusion). This way will allow you to omit cutting down and threading the shifter, but your shift throw will be a little longer. I tried both and settled on the above.

Last edited:

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
Definitely doing this to my B4V, it is the worst shifting VW I own...I like very smooth, notchy shifts and it is pretty awful.
My favorite shifter is my MK2 ECO with full USRT kit and all UHMW bushings, it is amazing.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I need to figure out what is going on with my insurance before I move down this route, but I'm staying subscribed cause I want one :)

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I've got this setup in Jezebel. Most awesome shifting car I've owned. Add a Polo shift box for your B4 and Synchromesh fluid and you get the perfect OEM+ experience. All factory parts and 100x better than the stock 02A stuff.

Daemon

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
While attempting to install a Dieselgeek short shifter -> http://www.dieselgeek.com/5_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-sigma5.htm I managed to shear off the bracket that holds the up/down lever.

I'm not clear on what all the parts are called, but I guess I need a new shift tower? It's the part that bolts to the transmission and contains the splined shaft which rotates and moves up and down. I do not need the golf club shaped lever, nor the up/down lever. I do need the plastic bushings that go around the pin for the up/down lever though, because Dieselgeek's instructions say to reuse them, and mine are stuck and falling apart.

Help?

Last edited:

Daemon

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Mr. Urbina answered all my questions and shipped the parts I needed the next day.
Excellent seller!

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
I've been seeing that some club members are using the Polo's shift box. How does it differ from this one?
The polo shift box is more for mk3 cars like b3/b4 passat/corrado/golf/jetta because it makes up for the space that the mk4 box would have ..since it's not as tall as mk3 boxes but it's not really a big deal. Not to mention the cost since polo boxes are imported. So, not a big deal if you don't care about some gap

on a scale of 1-10 (oil change being a 2) how hard is it to swap this linkage?
.maybe a 4 . All you would do is drop your shifter box, remove the bolts from the trans (7 total) and just splice the reverse switch in. As stated above,you'd just have to come up with a way to cover the gap between the top of the box and the exhaust tunnel..it's not bad.

I was planning on my Diesel Geek Short Shift kit this weekend ....tips??
Check out this video and DG's play list
https://youtu.be/wZFx5RjnHSQ

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
on a scale of 1-10 (oil change being a 2) how hard is it to swap this linkage?
Into another Mk4? Cake.

Some additional steps required for older stuff.

You beat me to changing your location to "Hella NORCAL"

Great minds think alike ;)

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've been seeing that some club members are using the Polo's shift box. How does it differ from this one?
Polo box is a better OE fit. But if you don't want to pay to import one and swap in the components from a mk4 box, the mk4 box is just fine. Needs some modification, as does the chassis of your car, to fit. But all in all, not bad.

There will be a gap to the body, but I generally fill it with some carpet padding. Makes the car quieter than ever :)