View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:34   #1
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: 47 avg
Default PT Cruiser 2.4L timing belt change - Yuck!

I'm in the middle of a driveway (no shade tree to be found) change out of a timing belt on an non-turbo '04 PT Cruiser 2.4L for my mechanically disinclined stepson. For my remuneration I have him participating in the job as my "helper". We're both loving the 95* heat.

I've never wrenched on one these before. As far as I'm concerned doing a TB job on my ALH is a piece of cake compared to this... so many bits and pieces to be removed, pushed out of the way, etc.

I found it negatively interesting that the belt stripped teeth at 67k miles, with other belt teeth obviously separating, when the recommended mileage rating for the belt is 102k miles. But, I don't know the 'age' change out recommendation, and being an '04 means an approximate age of 7 years, which seems awfully long to me.

Stripped teeth:

Separating teeth:

From what I've been able to gather the 2.4L is a 'partially' non-interference engine. The valves won't hit the pistons, but they can hit each other when a TB lets loose. After I get the new belt, new tensioner, new roller, and new water pump on I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a compression check will show good numbers.

If anyone has any tips or tricks I'm all ears! Thanks!
Living outside the statist quo... "All the disasters that have wrecked your world came from your leaders' attempts to evade the fact that 'A' is 'A' ." -- John Galt | On Google+
visionlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.06553 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.79 Kb. compressed to 15.22 Kb. by saving 1.57 Kb. (9.36%)]