Running a 1.6 IDI "on the bench".. what's needed from the chassis?

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hey folks..

I came across a 91ish.. Jetta 1.6 IDI, non turbo car. Took it home and with the speed and effeciency of a guy who's wife was *ahem.. cough.. cough* happy with my great idea.. I pulled the motor and trans.

The rest of the hulk is headed to the junkyard immediately, same with the trans.

This being a non-computery motor.. is there anything I need from the chassis to make the motor run on it's own? As I recall, If it has fuel and I apply power to the starter, the motor should run.

Am I right?

And.. uhh.. I haven't thought this car until RIGHT NOW.. how would I shut it off?

Remember.. "wife powered haste" ;)

thanks!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
12v to the fuel solenoid, starter and starter solenoid. Power to the starter solenoid is only until it starts.

Being an IDI, apply 12v to the GP buss, for about 10 seconds, prior to cranking. If everything is good, it should start. Disconnect the fuel solenoid to kill the engine.

-Todd

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
If the speedometer has a tach, pull that and sell it. You should pull the fuse panel as well since it's a quick job and might come in handy with whatever you decide to do with this engine.

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Glow plugs

-Todd

Heh.. *facepalm* ;) Thanks! I DID save the big ass cable that turns them on! If you don't recall (and something tells me you DO) there is a big cable that went to the dashboard where you pull out this lever to activate the.. I assume.. relay.. to fire them. It's absurd and even in 1991 this has to be the only goofy car that did this!

Burn_money: No tach, sadly, but thanks for the tip.

The next destination is as a mockup engine for an M38 (Flat fender Willys, Army jeep) then probably will become a motor for a generator.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
there is a big cable that went to the dashboard where you pull out this lever to activate the.. I assume.. relay.. to fire them. It's absurd and even in 1991 this has to be the only goofy car that did this!
My guess is that you're referring to the "cold start knob"... cable-controlled advance of the pump's timing and idle speed, to aid in cold-weather starts and warm-up.

The glow plug system itself is entirely electronic... since 1979. :)

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
That does makes vastly more sense. The kid I got the car from declared it the glow plug activator. In this case the dash has no (functional) indication that glow plugs are/were active... I just went with the delightfully awkward "I guess this is how this silliness works!" After all, it did have those awful 2 part seat belts and a radio that doesn't turn off (classic old VW trickery).

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would not expect a 91 Jetta GL diesel to have a tach. Even the ECO-D cars didn't have a tach. Finding a CE2 cluster with tach for diesel, from a US import, is I would say impossible.

The lever in the dash did not activate a relay, it moved a lever on the IP that advanced the timing of the pump a little so that cold weather starting was aided.

Steve