Water Methanol injection on a TDI?

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Water/methanol injection kit on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474661805
Current bid: $47.00 although the reserve has not been met.

I've never been interested in water/methanol injection but I was searching for a liquid to air intercooler and that auction caught my eye. The description is interesting, but I'm still skeptical on its effectiveness on TDIs.

Does anyone have experience with Snow Performance kits or general water/methanol injection with TDIs? Besides Simon Cooper and his 250+hp monster /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

I have Snow kit in my car right now, been playing with it.

Trying to get nozzle size, placement, etc, correct before posting but what the hay. I'll post some pics later.

Strange, but it actually seems to INCREASE EGT at high settings- like I said, I need to play with it a bit more. Most of the time I just keep the arming switch off for now.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d

Interesting, I look forward to your review.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Snow kit? Do they have different sizes, etc? Their official site seems to be offline so I can't get any more information at this time.

wvwalltheway

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd,Satin silver,2004 Golf TDI PD w/Tiptronic, Reflex silver
water methanol injection question

Hi I would like to know if any one as tried water methanol injection on a TDI and what results were acheived. Snowperformance is one manufacture that I know of. Any info would be much appreciated thank you .

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Yes tdi-rs has used it on the engine i have got at the moment , and acheived a 13.02 1/4 @ 105mph he had around 220whp with one of the fuels being Methanol.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Simon's worked with 4 jets/nozzles into the inlet manifold for each cylinder and was fed via a pump from say the water bottle or some form of container.

Then when wot was reached a switch was prested and hay presto , if you have an electronic pump which you do have you would have the methanol mapped in............which was not the case with simons setup being/having a mechanical pump.

jsw5620

TDI
99 Beetle
I have used water injection before but it was on my GMC Syclone. It cut down the detonation to almost nothing and allowed me to up the boost. A company from europe makes a very nice setup http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

I organized several group purchases on these when I had my Syclone and the owner even sent my kit to me for free because everytime I organized a GP something came up and couldn't afford it so on the fourth one, he said he'd send me something for organizing them and about 2 weeks later I had an aquamist kit on my door step. Anyways, check them out if you're interested.

DieselTweak

TDI
02 Golf TDi
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has done water methanol injection on their tdi. I know that snowperformance has a setup that works well on the diesel trucks, but was wondering if anyone had experience with that.:D I heard it gives a pretty good power increase and that it would help keep the egr clean.

pegbox 7

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi (130)
I posted a video up on here a few months ago with an auto tdi 90 nearly beating an NSX in a drag race. That car was using water/meth injection and it was done locally here in the UK. It worked well, I seem to remember they used it mainly for cooling- but i could be wrong !!!

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
That's an interesting idea. Water methanol injection goes back to the 1930s in aircraft engines and is still available today with some aircraft turbines. It's usually used to give a relatively short duration boost for take off power (especially on hot days), but also cleans and cools. I haven't heard about it for a diesel.

DieselTweak

TDI
02 Golf TDi
all the big dodge cummins trucks used it cause it cools the exhaust gas temps about 250 degrees on the trucks, and a stage one kit gives like 80hp on the trucks, I wonder how much they would give on a tdi. I was told you could run it all the time too. and get a little mpg gain.

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle, 05 cummins (8,040 pounds-13.47 quarter mile), Dodge half ton cummins (nines on the way)
The car racing the NSX was using nitrous. Water meth has been useful in the trucks, though you can't get carried away with the meth or it will go poof.. In a very small amount it seems it should help out on the TDI, especially if you have EGT problems..

pegbox 7

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi (130)
Morse, the car was using NOS but if you look closely it was also useing wat/meth as i suggested it was more than likely used for cooling purposes. The car is still in current use here in the UK, but the owner doesn't frequent any forums.

pegbox 7

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi (130)
If I can find it from the net I will have to send it to one of you guys as i did last time..failing that i will look for my original posting...

VortexNL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV, 2002, Silver
I got the aquamist water/meth system on my 1.9TDI.

Its great and it works super.... lots more power... and torque... on my xtreemly tuned TDI it adds 45nm of torque and around 22HP... to 28HP.

And the EGTs are lowered...

Mark

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle, 05 cummins (8,040 pounds-13.47 quarter mile), Dodge half ton cummins (nines on the way)
Pegbox, if I'm wrong I apologize. I was thinking that car was running nitrous along with a propane system for added fuel. Nitrous alone on a stock car would do very little if anything because the lack of fuel on a stock car.

DieselTweak

TDI
02 Golf TDi
Wow, 22-28 hp is a really good power increase VortexNL. Do you run the water meth all the time or just when you want the extra umph?

pegbox 7

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi (130)
Morse said:
Pegbox, if I'm wrong I apologize. I was thinking that car was running nitrous along with a propane system for added fuel. Nitrous alone on a stock car would do very little if anything because the lack of fuel on a stock car.
Yes it used Propane as well with the NOS, it was a bit of " everything chucked at it " kind of machine but it worked very well.

Some detailed picks of a water/meth install would be excellent..

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've heard of water and methanol being sprayed on the intercooler to make it colder. Are you sure the system you're thinking of injects it directly into the intake? I would think that to be very dangerous in a diesel.

DieselTweak

TDI
02 Golf TDi
yeah, you just drill and tap the intake and there is a nozzles that goes right there. They use water meth injection on all the diesel trucks for drag races and sled pulls. And is supposedly very safe. it cools things way down and adds power.

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
Some guys run certain brands of windshield washer fluid as well.. The guys at snow performance can fill you in.. The kit I have is boost activated. You can preset it to spray at a given boost level.

DieselTweak

TDI
02 Golf TDi
so do you run the system all the time then, or usually? Or do you just use it when you want more power?

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
Turbo gassers use water injection as an anti-detonation device so that they can run up their boost to really high pressures. Sounds like most use a 50/50 mix of water and windshield washer fluid (Windshield washer fluid is a water, alcohol, and detergent mix), and the water injection pump is usually wired into the ignition to engage at about 4000 rpm or whatever rpm they choose. No need for water injection at lower rpm because the turbo is not producing enough boost to necessitate using it.

Thats the what i know about turbo gas engines, but i dont see why this wouldnt work/be beneficial do someone who wants to really turn up the boost on their turbo-diesel. Like a gas engine i would suspect the water injection would serve as an anti-detonation device so that boost pressure could be pushed to the limit. Sounds like some others here know of real world examples.

Ever notice your engine running really smooth on a misty or foggy day when the air is saturated with water?