Best OIl for TDI - ALH

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
hey guys,

I posted a more specific location question under the Ontario threads - however as a general discussion:

any suggestions as where to go to purchase the Diesel synthetic oil??

Also I am running 5W30 in one of our TDIs at the moment due to the Canadian winter months...

does anyone else use 5W30 during the winter or does everyone just stick with 5W40??

also any thoughts on which oil for the ALH engine?

bikerboyriley

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf 2 door
I hope you're using oil that meets the correct specification...Don't hold me to this but i'm pretty sure the oils that meet vw tdi specifications are all synthetic. I stick with 5w40 shell Rotella synthetic. If anything I would use 0w40 in the winter because the first number is when cold. Check napa auto parts

also here is a link that will explain things better
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158788

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is already probably a solid 6 months or more worth of reading here on this same topic. The horse is dead. It stinks even worse, when you beat it. :rolleyes:

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry - search function did not provide much - if there is a link any has please pass it on...

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
tried it again found a few threads... as well as the one posted above. - just looking for options...

thx guys.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to throw you a bone I always use Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 for all seasons.

thx.

does anyone in the northern side use an alternate oil for the winter months?

For garage stored vehicles I would agree that it likely not matter - however our vehicles are stored outside for the moment atleast until the garage goes up and we do see winters easily in the -20C to -30 temperatures the odd night even lower. 5W40 still the consensus?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I recommend Syntec 5W-40 if you can find it.

You probably see colder temps than me, so you may want to go with 0w-40. John Deere Plus-50 0W-40 (a synthetic) is supposed to be a great oil for the ALH, if you can find it. It's on my list to try next.

fwiw,

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think Canadians can purchase a API diesel-rated Mobil (syn) 0W40 that we don't get in the USA. That would offer slightly superior cold-flow characteristics.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Mobil 1 0w40, Petro Canada 0w40, Syntec Euro 0w30. Delvac 1 ESP 0w40 is the oil Dorf is referring to.

There's a few 5w30s out there too that are good, but none to very few are available off the shelf. Which 5w30 are you running now?

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
thx.

I havent seen to many of these on the shelf - the current 5W30 in the car was obtained from BORA - though I just rebuilt the top end and need to flush the engine so I should have purchased a couple more jugs of the stuff.... Doh!