Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

gwalter

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
What kind of driving will you be doing to expect a 50 MPG average? My driving is about 85% highway and my lifetime average is down to 49.9 MPG. I can't complain, and am looking forward to warmer temps to drive that lifetime average up. I'm hoping to have a 52 MPG average by the end of October of this year.
The problem you will see is that the extreme cold weather really hurts these cars. As long as you are experiencing temps under 20*, it's real hard to get much over 45 MPG.
Have fun and keep posting.

I'm hoping that I can exceed 50 mpg in the warm temps on the highway and then for the overall combined average I'm hoping to exceed 45. I still plan on running it hard here and there to keep the engine clean etc. Don't get me wrong though I'm pleased with what I've seen so far. My commute can be about the same mixture as yours (85% highway).

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
One thing that impresses me about the car, and which came as a surprise, is that even my urban driving gets good mileage so long as the trip is long enough. A short hop to the grocery store in cold weather is awful. But as a counter example, I got ~48mpg (using MFI) this past Friday by driving from South of Seattle to North Seattle during rush hour, then back again still during rush hour. Total drive time was about 1hr 40min, with a good 20 minutes of stop-and-go on the interstate, plus plenty of red lights, etc., on the side streets. Ambient temps in the low 40s F.

gwalter

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
I'm finding the same thing already too. We've had cold weather since I bought the car. Short trips are lousy. I did have a couple good MFI averages that were near 50mpg when the temp was in the 40s. My 1992 Benz Diesel gets 33 around town and on the highway in almost all temps. Chalk it up to the lack of sensors and sophisticated computer controls. But, I'll take the TDI mpg every day regardless.

Paulie

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6 speed
This is my first TDI and Its been a real cold winter. MPG's are averaging 37, should I be concerned? I use cruise control all the time, during the first 2800 miles.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
This is my first TDI and Its been a real cold winter. MPG's are averaging 37, should I be concerned? I use cruise control all the time, during the first 2800 miles.

I certainly wouldnt be concerned...yet, what are your average temperatures? Next time you get a chance check your avg speed in the MFI. I have been averaging 38-41 MPH, with the higher speed directly correlating to lower MPG's.

I assume that your MPH will be higher, temps colder and more snow creating more rolling resistence, henceforth your MPG's will be lower.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI

I don't think so. From what I've been reading on this site, driving style matters more than just about anything else for mileage, followed by temp, then fuel quality. You can't control the temperature (not diverging to discuss plug-in engine heaters, etc.). But read some of those other sticky's and see if there's anything you're doing "wrong." That seems far more likely than that you have an actual mechanical issue, based on reading hundreds of posting rather than based on personal knowledge/experience. There's actually an entire sticky devoted to MPG on the TDI 101 forum, that covers all of this and more.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think so. From what I've been reading on this site, driving style matters more than just about anything else for mileage, followed by temp, then fuel quality. You can't control the temperature (not diverging to discuss plug-in engine heaters, etc.). But read some of those other sticky's and see if there's anything you're doing "wrong." That seems far more likely than that you have an actual mechanical issue, based on reading hundreds of posting rather than based on personal knowledge/experience. There's actually an entire sticky devoted to MPG on the TDI 101 forum, that covers all of this and more.
Driving style is a part of it, but if he is dealing with extremely cold weather (unlike what you guys see in Seattle which is fairly moderate) which he probably is, the cold temps KILL MPG in these cars.

Paulie

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6 speed
I am averaging only 38 MPG, with 70% Hwy/ 30% City driving. The weather is bitter cold this winter and I replaced the hankooks with Michelin Primacy, but I haven't been able to break 40 MPGs yet.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have two friends with whom I work that bought 2014 Passat TDI SE 6Ms late last year. They are getting about 36mpg and 38mpg and try to compare my Fulley 38mpg average. Well, I'm only getting 33mpg in these temps. I'll be back to 40mpg and they will be closer 45-50mpg come April just like Paulie.

mobhitmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6mt SE
2013 - roughly 7000 miles on the odometer. Weekend trip from Allentown to Pittsburgh. 562 highway miles, average speed of 70 per the MFI, trip average 48.7 mpg. Temps were in the high 40s to low 50s. Used cruise control on the PA turnpike, stock Hankook tires, etc. Nothing special. These cars can certainly post great numbers if the conditions are right.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Our last trip with a 600 lb bike on a 200 lb trailer yielded only 20 mpg over 2500 miles

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Our last trip with a 600 lb bike on a 200 lb trailer yielded only 20 mpg over 2500 miles

What gear did you spend the most time in, 3rd,4th, 5th or 6th? What was the trip normal speed??

What were the weather conditions, heat or cold?? AC use, how much???

And @ what speed range, a lot of stop and go or long runs on the highway????

On the highway what did the instant mpgs say while pulling the trailer??

What was the terrain, were you constantly going up and down hills or mountains???

Just saying I got 20 mpg over 2,500 miles really doesn't explain why you saw that low.

Pulling this in anything with a lot of accelerations will kill mpgs. Were almost all of the miles accelerating to slam on brakes.?.?.?.?.?..

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
About time we got some warm weather! My commute trip average was 48 mpg last night, up from the mid 30's.
You aren't kidding, Im about 325 miles into this tank and the MFI is showing 55 MPG.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
48 on the drive in and 50 going home. About time this brutal winter and mid 30s got over!

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
PassatSE4me: About time we got some warm weather! My commute trip average was 48 mpg last night, up from the mid 30's.
Amen! I filled up last night and for the first time since October broke 700 miles on a tank. As a matter of fact I was only 18 miles away from logging 800miles, but was getting well into the "I really need to fuel up" zone... Weather folks are saying we may hit 50 in my neck of the woods today! A welcome sign since it's been a long, frigid winter up here!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I can't wait until temps get back to the 60+ range. I have a 200 mile trip I take twice a week. I do it early in the morning so there is no traffic to influence the trip. Same tank of fuel last week and this week, same weather conditions except temps. Last week it was 1dF and I averaged 43.3mpg for the trip, according to the MFI. This week it was 36dF and I averaged 50.2mpg for the same trip. I use the cruise control for 80% of the trip so that minimizes variations.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Something that many have not realized is that the cold hits gasoline powered vehicles even harder than it does us in our diesels. I just clocked the lowest mpg tank since I got my 4 cyl Honda Accord, ~23 mpgs where 29-31 are the norm for me when it's not so cold...............That is a 30-40 % drop below normal penalty for cold weather....

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I only see about 10% penalty in my two gas powered vehicles with winter compared to 20% for my TDI. Bring on the warmer temps please!

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Yesterday I pulled 39.9 on the highway, and thought I was fairly lucky given snow tires AND temps in the teens and single digtits.

Can't wait for warmer temps!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Something that many have not realized is that the cold hits gasoline powered vehicles even harder than it does us in our diesels. I just clocked the lowest mpg tank since I got my 4 cyl Honda Accord, ~23 mpgs where 29-31 are the norm for me when it's not so cold...............That is a 30-40 % drop below normal penalty for cold weather....
I havent found this personally.

On an MPG note, last tank was 870 miles and she took 16 gallons even. Low Fuel light clicked on at 857 miles. 54.4 MPG,:D almost an all time high. I am very hopeful that I will beat my all time best of 54.8 MPG this year. I think my car is breaking in a bit! Oh, and my lifetime average is back over 50 MPG!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Brand new with 600 miles and I'm seeing mid 40's average. My 2013 was the same. This with snow tires, cold weather, and winter fuel.

As others have noted the ambient air temperature will be a huge factor. The moment we see temps rise above the 40's we'll see a noticeable increase in economy.

Having recently had the opportunity to pilot both a 2.5 Beetle and a 2.5 Wolfsburg Passat I can vouch for the fact that Passat is a more "slippery" vehicle as far as air resistance. Head to head the Passat will return better economy compared to the Beetle under similar conditions. As to actual economy the best I could do on a good day was to approach 30 mpg. In adverse conditions the 2.5 Passat would drop to the low 20's.

Passat TDI in my experience will always be at least 10 mpg better than its gasoline counterpart. Winter has never dropped me below the high 30 mpg range and usually not below 42 mpg. The fact is that 10 mpg is conservative as the difference us usually double that figure and a bit more.

Summer fuel on a nice day and out on the open road should push your economy easily past the 50 mpg mark without any particular effort on your part.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I had no idea the cold affected mpg that much in real world driving you never hear about it in the mpg ratings... I live in AZ never cold here ever...

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Winter MPGs went back up to near summer MPGs once I added a front grill cover, either in the form of tube insulation or a winter front.

B00ST00

TDI
14' SE 6spd
Took a trip to NC and back, averaged 46.5 @73-75mph on cruise. Car had 2500 miles when I finished the trip. Very happy with the mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Switched jobs last week. Commute went from ~30 minutes @35mph to ~50 minutes at 60mph. Mileage went from ~40mpg (36-46, depending on lights, temperature, etc.) to ~51mpg. The car and the amazing mileage almost make me happy for the longer commute.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
averaged 54mpg driving to work over 65 miles one way. Had it on cruise control at 68mph.

Coming back home, same distance, stop and go traffic, computer showed 41.7mpg ... not bad considering its a DSG tranny with 17k miles on it.

B00ST00

TDI
14' SE 6spd
My computer read 50.1-50.3 on my trip. When I fueled up I did the math and it came out to 46.5mpg. I wonder if there is a way to adjust values in the MFI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk