How long can I expect my TDI to last for????

Damien

How long do you think a 1998 Jetta TDI will last that already has 35,000 miles for 16,000. Do you think I will be able to get 300,000 miles on it like the older one????
I'm also looking at a 1999 Jetta TDI GL with 18,000 miles on it for 16,000 from out of state. Someone said earlier that the A4 engine is better than the A3. What do you think?
As far as durability goes, are the TDI's that much better than a gas engine? I'm looking for durability so it's either buy a Jetta TDI or buy a Honda Civic gas. Which one do you think will last longer(I know you guys are bias, but please be objective).
Thank you
Damien

badger

Veteran Member
You will need to search past threads, because this has been discussed at length in this forum, but these diesel engines are clearly very long-lived. They have to be built stronger to take the high compression that makes a diesel run. I am planning to get one and am planning to run it at least 200,000 miles.

------------------
no TDI (yet)

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
My 1991 Honda Civic is has approximately 195kmiles on it. Only problem is that sometimes it won't start - then 15 minutes later it will start. I think it is flooding.

My 1976 Chevy Camaro lasted 198kmiles - but it was a high maintenance 198kmiles.

Anything will last as long as you want it to. The question is how expensive the maintenance will be.

[This message has been edited by HowardZ (edited August 04, 2000).]

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Qualities of the engine aside, the chassis/b odies of these cars are really well screwed together. Or should I say welded? They have a continuous seam laser welding process that makes for good solid welds. It makes for a solid chassis that doesn't come apart.

The evidence is in good crash numbers and drive feel - noting how the body doesn't flex much.

I tell people that the car will last as long as you want to take care of it. And probably well into the severe neglect phase, too.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

SilverJet00

I own a '97 Civic LX and a '00 Jetta GL TDI. I think that both cars can easily outlast 200k, with good maintenance. They are both outstanding vehicles. I've done considerable reading on forums/internet lists, etc. for both of these cars. For longevity, I would give (and most people would have to agree) the edge to the TDI. Also for liking to own and drive the car, I give a huge thumbs up to the TDI. I recommend that you get the A4 TDI, at least that's what I would do if I had everything to do over. BTW, the Civic is working out great for my wife, and I drive it occasionally still, even since owning the TDI. Even though the Civic is very reliable, it's just not quite on the same level as the Jetta, in lots of little ways, and that's comparing the Jetta GL (lowest line--but it's no stripped model!) with the Civic LX (middle line). Although the GL does not have power windows, power mirrors, arm rest. I still would pick the Jetta. Also, btw, you're comparing probably the two best cars on the road today, given money as a major factor, in my opinion. And the two different prices of new Civic vs. new Jetta are very much in proportion to the pleasure of owning each, in my opinion.

The Jetta's worth it. Get the newer TDI. Enjoy.

Monte

M

mickey

Properly maintained the Jetta TDI will still be going years after the Honda has disintegrated into rust. There is no comparison. Hondas are better built in terms of having fewer electrical gremlins and minor glitches, but they won't hold up nearly as long as a TDI. No way.

-mickey

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
I can't really speak to the 99 Jetta, however I do have a 98 Jetta and I put 30k miles in the first year alone because this car is such a joy to drive. I hear very few Honda owners at work discuss the joy of driving their cars.

From a practical point of view I again would suggest the TDi because in the long term this car will probably be cheaper to operate due to the outstanding fuel mileage that it gets. The Civic can't touch the mileage. There's got to be something great about a car that gets over 600 miles to one tank of fuel. I can literally drive 3 weeks to work without filling up. The overall maintenance appear less too. In 53k miles all I have done is change the oil and routine filters. That's it (and last week a new set of tires).

You're really just going to have to decide what you want out of the car and go with the one you think will provide it. Both are good cars. I just prefer the diesel.

200,000 miles is no problem for this car. I will trade the car in at 300k or when VW comes out with the Passat/Jetta quattro diesel (my dream car).

keep thay oil burn'n

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
A TDI will last a long time. You have a 12 yr warranty on the body. The shells of these cars are VERY well screwed together.
The engine will easily last 12 yrs++ with good maintenance and synthetic oil.
I ran a VW store for a few years and I sawOTS of huge mileage cars . well over 300,000 miles. Those were the old style diesels that reved like crazy at 65mph. Our cars rev lots less and have 1-15 more years of advanced alloy and metal technology built in. It's not even an issue. Your civic will be suckin wind to keep up.
Civics have good motors and Trannies but VW's rock
Best to you.
Claude

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TDI Envy:
3kids: you better be saving up for your timing belt change. I think you're past due.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Envy, his car, like mines, is an earlier model with a 60,000 mile belt change interval. He has 7000 miles to go before he needs to change it. I have 8500 miles before I need to change mines. I already bought the belt and the tensioner but still need to buy the serpintine belt and fanbelt.