Rod Bearing Spun

BigRigger

TDI
199.5 Jetta 5 Speed
Hello all, i took my 99.5 Tdi Jetta to NHIS this past weekend and tracked it, had a blast to say the least:D . Unfortunately i think i hurt the motor over the course of the day. It ran flawlessly all day at the track and on the way home, but when i left for work this AM the motor started making a rather distinct sound i do believe is a rod bearing:( . I pulled the dipstick and i think i see small metal fragments in the oil. Not exactly what i had in my mind that would happen when i went to NHIS to say the least.. Now the question is can i pull the crank and rods out from underneath or do i have to pull the whole entire motor, that would suck..
Secondly i work 60 hours a week and i really don't have the time to mess with this anyone interested in this repair?? I live in Dartmouth,MA. I was thinking maybe GeWilli might be interested, i also called Chris in Braintree,MA and he is way to busy to even look at it. Let me know what you all think. SAUL

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Hi. I can always look at it....no problem. May not be a rod either.....just may sound like one. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
If I were you I would redo the entire engine right away. I know that isn't always in a budget. But, if there is a bearing gone, it will push metal fragments all the way down the line and start to wear all your main and con rod bearings, and might also get into the cam bearings.

Its your call though, I would just personally be worried about the life of the rest of my engine after this.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Pull the filter out and cut a section of the material. Put that in a vice so you are squeezing it like an accordian and squeeze, squeeze, and squeeze some more.

Wipe off the oil on the outside and loosen the vice to remove the piece. Now open it and look at the dirty side. This is a good way to see if there is metal in the oil.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
This sounds like a job for Herm TDI. :cool:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If he suspects a spun rod, I suggest he doesn't drive it though. Pulling the filter and cutting/squeezing is easy enough though. It will be a bit dirty, but it all washes off eventually.