Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Wouldn't that be basically parking and going to work after plugging in, or raging about the non-EV parked in the EV charger spot? :D
That’s not an unfair statement.
Pretty similar to people going shopping while in front of a diesel pump, but for longer.

It’s why I asked rather than just going there.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Also, those of warnings that the wrong plug/voltage/current was being used!
I have experienced that at a Chevrolet dealer. Everyone came out to see my car catch on fire, worked just fine.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
I did put diesel in my mates Cooper S today....

Its ok though... Its a Cooper S Diesel....

Not worthy of the 'S' badge really....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My wife, who has a gasser Jetta as well as a TDI NB, was really frustrated a few days ago, because she tried to put diesel into the Jetta, but the nozzle wouldn't fit into the tank opening. Yow. It just doesn't pay to try and buy fuel when you're tired.

Cheers,

PH

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
My wife, who has a gasser Jetta as well as a TDI NB, was really frustrated a few days ago, because she tried to put diesel into the Jetta, but the nozzle wouldn't fit into the tank opening. Yow. It just doesn't pay to try and buy fuel when you're tired.

Cheers,

PH
I can certainly relate to that. One of the goofier things that happens when I tired and have been on the road too long is I tend to forget which side the fuel cap is on. And what makes it doubly, nay, triply stupid is I have no cars otherwise where it would be on the driver's side, and I've been driving VW TDIs for 18 years now. You'd think I'd know by heart. But I guess not. :eek:

This isn't so much a story as it is a gripe, but today while out running errands (and tired after pulling an all-nighter) I passed by a newly constructed Circle K Shell station in a nearby town that was selling diesel for $2.779. This was a few pennies cheaper than others I'd seen while running my errands (and a big drop from the $3.149 at the truck stop by the interstate) so I flipped a U-turn and went back to the station.

As I pull in I'm surprised that a) every pump has a diesel handle, but b) every diesel handle has a yellow bag over it. Shoot! This place hasn't been open but maybe four months and already the pumps are wonky?

To add insult to injury, after I stopped at the pump for a second to post prices to GasBuddy, the diesel went up to $2.859 — they raised the price on the one fuel they don't even have! :rolleyes:

I wound up filling up at a new BP station up the road. It was recently converted from a Chevron. I'm surprised to see a BP here. This area was hit incredibly hard by the BP oil spill years ago and I wouldn't think people had forgotten about it. After the spill, this area went from having a good dozen BP stations to ZERO. This is the first “new” one for probably 25-30 miles. The diesel was $2.799.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I can certainly relate to that. One of the goofier things that happens when I tired and have been on the road too long is I tend to forget which side the fuel cap is on. And what makes it doubly, nay, triply stupid is I have no cars otherwise where it would be on the driver's side, and I've been driving VW TDIs for 18 years now. You'd think I'd know by heart. But I guess not. :eek:
Most (if not all) modern cars have a little arrow by the symbol on the fuel gauge to tell you which side it's on. I've sometimes used that on my own cars, and it's very useful in rentals. Of course I remember when some cars had the filler behind the rear licence plate. :)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Most (if not all) modern cars have a little arrow by the symbol on the fuel gauge to tell you which side it's on. I've sometimes used that on my own cars, and it's very useful in rentals. Of course I remember when some cars had the filler behind the rear licence plate. :)
Where was the filler on a 1956 Chevrolet?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Right behind the LH tail lamp. My dad had a Bel Air.
So in that case, if the arrows were in use back then it would have pointed to the left. On my Miata the filler port is on the left but it is on the top of the fender. IIRC, there was a car that had the port right behind the back window but centered.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 1965 Corvette Sting Ray had the filler cap there.
That was probably the one I was thinking of. The plan for automated fueling stations won't have a chance unless the Feds mandate a single location for the fuel tank inlet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The placement of the filler inlet has always seemed up to the manufacturer and the region where the car was designed. On the foreign cars I've owned, I've noticed that the European cars are all on the right and the Asian cars are all on the left. One explanation I got many years back from a VW salesperson trying to sound intelligent is that the placement on VWAG products is a safety thing. If you run out of fuel, you will be standing on the shoulder and out of traffic while adding fuel to the car.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
My wife says people *still* run out to tell her she's making a mistake when she goes to put diesel in her 2016 BMW X3 xDrive28d

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The placement of the filler inlet has always seemed up to the manufacturer and the region where the car was designed. On the foreign cars I've owned, I've noticed that the European cars are all on the right and the Asian cars are all on the left. One explanation I got many years back from a VW salesperson trying to sound intelligent is that the placement on VWAG products is a safety thing. If you run out of fuel, you will be standing on the shoulder and out of traffic while adding fuel to the car.
Sounds like a good reason for the Japanese cars to have them on the left: Japan drives on the left side of the road so their cars are RHD. However it would be too expensive to relocate the filler port to the right side of the body for cars destined to LHD countries.

My '60 Rambler & '63 Chevy Impala had the ports on the left, but my '79 Mustang had it on the right. My German-built '73 Capri & Japan-built '90 Miata had/has it on the right & left respectively. Of course on my '81 & '89 VW Jetta it was on the right while the '04 Toyota Prius has it on the left.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The filler on my '02 Buick Century is on the left. The Volt filler is on the right rear and the charge port is on the front left.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wasn't that year Malibu one of the rebadged Opels? Or maybe that started later than 01.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Originally Posted by El Dobro
Right behind the LH tail lamp. My dad had a Bel Air.

Right on, drove many people crazy trying to find it!
Someone that has one of those needs to go to a NJ or Oregon station, tell them to "Fill 'er up!" and film the attendant trying to find it! :D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
It was very interesting watching the gas jockey try to open the RH tail lamp on the Chevy.

The filler was hidden behind the LH tail lamp on the 50s Cadillacs, too. You pushed in the reflector to open it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I liked in the past example section was the Ford Galaxy being sold as a VW in Europe and the VW Santana being sold as Ford in South America!