Car not starting....HELP!!!

tverhoeven

My car had been running fine for weeks now but tonight I could not start it. I turned the key and it was like the battery had died. I hear what I think is a relay clicking madly. I turn the key off and pull it out but the relay continues to click. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Had the car towed home and it is sitting in the driveway.

This is the first time I have ever experienced this. For those of you thinking relay 109, I pulled it out and the clicking continued.

Please help..
thanks
tony

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
J, I was checking the Bentley and there is a starting interlock relay, but I don't know what it does. I'm struggling with the wiring diagrams in this thing. Do you know anything about it? It looks like it is the last thing before the starter, so it may be what's clicking.

But it could be low voltage at the battery or a bad ground somewheres.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yes it could be that. Good call. Charge the battery and check all the grounds.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm we don't know much about this relay sound. I assumed it was a relay under the dash, but it may be the starter solenoid clicking madly like when the battery is low.

jasonTDI

TDI
Like I said. Charge the battery and start there.

tverhoeven

I will try that tonight. I had it hooked up to a buddy's car but that did not help and it almost stalled his car. When I put the jumper cables on though, the clicking stopped.

Where is the solenoid you are talking about?

tverhoeven

I have been reading thru some older posts. Seems I am not the only one that has gone thru this. People are talking about bad batteries and cleaning the grounds underneath the battery.

Anywhere else I should be looking for a ground to check?
thanks

jasonTDI

TDI
There is one connected to the engine on top of the transmission. Replace the battery. Tell your buddy to replace his too.

tverhoeven

hahah....thanks Jason....I will do that.
Now the battery, I was reminded is about 2 years old but it was put thru hell during the whole IP replacement and timing issues that I have suffered over the past few months. That in itself may be the problem.

tverhoeven

I will take care of that tonight. As well, I will check the grounds.

What specs should I look for in a battery???

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Don't "check" the grounds - clean them. This happened twice to my Passat - turn the key, no turning, just buzzing from the instrument cluster. The buzzing stopped when I turned the key, but I couldn't get the car to start without first disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it. It would start for a while, and at the second failure, I cleaned all of the grounds. It hasn't happened again - 15 months? since that failure.

Next to (almost under) the battery is a bunch of the - don't forget to clean the main ground on the trannie (iirc) - that one that the fat wire goes to. Also, while you're at it, clean the positive lead to the starter motor. Odd, but I think that one may have been my problem.

Good luck.

tverhoeven

UPdate: A buddy went over to my house to have a look. He says the battery is measuring 12V+ and should be fine. He cleaned the contacts on the battery and was able to get the instrument panel to light up but still not turning over and still hearing the clicking/buzzing sound. The clicking sound seems to go away when he hits the brake though. He is guessing that there is enough of a power draw from the brake lights to quiet whatever relay is causing the problem.

Are these grounds obvious? Will I know them when I see them?

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are several wires bolted to the body/frame between the battery and airbox iirc - and that is a common "grounding point" for all sorts of things. Follow the "big ground" wire to where it bolts to the tranny. Basically, look around and if a wire is connected to the frame/body/engine/trannie - remove the bolt, clean the connector and location where it connects to the ground, and replace. I like Deoxit, but have used very fine sandpaper for the cleaning. And don't forget the "hot" wire to the starter motor.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so he measued 12V at the battery. Now what does he measure there when you turn the key? Does it drop right off? If so, do your momma said and replace the battery. :)

tverhoeven

WEll I removed the battery and the plate. I cleaned the two grounds under there. I removed and cleaned the contacts on the starter relay.

I had to jump the car but I got her started. Let it run for 10 minutes or so and then tried to start on her own....no go. DEAD BATTERY...go figure.

I will replace tomorrow and let you know how that works out.

Any particular battery I should look for?? Specs??

thanks

tverhoeven

haha...yes you did!!! I would have never expected a battery to just give up like that. I thought it would be more like a flashlight...start fading away.

Anyway, I will pick up a new battery tonight. I put a charger on the battery over night and the needle never moved from 0. That is one dead battery.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
tverhoeven said:
haha...yes you did!!! I would have never expected a battery to just give up like that. I thought it would be more like a flashlight...start fading away.

Anyway, I will pick up a new battery tonight. I put a charger on the battery over night and the needle never moved from 0. That is one dead battery.
Note that your friend read 12 volts at the battery. Reading the battery without putting a load on it means nothing.

tverhoeven

I was just coming to ask that question. When I put a battery charger on it, does that measure the voltage under load? I had that thing on there all night and the needle never moved. So unless the charger is faulty how come my buddy could read 12V at all???

Just wondering.

Any particular specs I should be looking for in a battery???

jasonTDI

TDI
Almost dead it will still read 12V at the poles. You need a load tester to get an accurate reading.

tverhoeven

by the way Jason; is there any other grounds I should be cleaning??

I got the ones under the battery and the wires on the starter.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you search for battery specs here? There has been much discussion here with some very well researched posts by drivebiwire.

Translation: I don't have a clue.

tverhoeven

well I had a 6 year warranty on my battery and it was only 4.5 years old so I got a pro rated price. running like a charm..

thanks a bunch guys

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the horse has left the barn. Don't worry about the door now.

CrewCabCaddy

TDI
1981 Custom 4-door Rabbit Pickup w/ 6sp O2M
I've had two Sears Die-Hard International Series batteries go bad in my Rabbit TDI. Both ended up with a bad cell and died overnight just like tverhoeven's. Charge them up and I would get one or two starts, and then nothing after the battery sat for a few hours. I think the vibration from the diesel engine is causing the plates to disconnect inside the battery causing a bad cell. Since Sears replaced the batteries at pro-rated cost, I am trying one more Die-Hard. If this one goes I'll be migrating to a different brand!