TDI Tuning; DTUK(4), RaceChip, Dieselpower, Tuningbox anyone ?

TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
I read a lot about Diesel tuning box out there.

It seems to be the best choice for the TDI and also give really big power gains that are TUV approved on dyno and road. Some are safer and better built than other.They are usually tested with DPF and safe.

Here's the URL's so you can read about:

DTUK
http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk

4 TUNES available, 3 under 300 pounds.Digital technology. Eco3, RED, CRD2, and Stage 2 CRD-T MultiChannel Common Rail+Turbo cables. ADJUSTABLE TUNES on the box.

Seems to be a very good tuner, saw some dyno on euro websites/forum and you really get the advertised power and torque. Stage 2 180HP, 400NM.

RaceCHIP
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...CR-3219-r.html

Really good prices, 129 or 229 EUROs, but 45 euro shipping.
2 Tunes, Pro or Regular. Pro offer better power and technology, Digital also. Also saw some dyno or euro websites/forum and power was very good. ALSO TUV certified.ADJUSTABLE TUNE box and 4 fueling maps. SAFE with DPF.

Dieselpower
http://www.dieseltuning.ca/modules/2_channel_cr.htm

Also a tune with Turbo and fuel connectors like the highter end DTUK. Sold on Karma TDI I think for 749$ US. No info on dyno but users seems to like it very much. Adjustable I think

Tuningbox
http://www.tuningbox.com

Not cheap to buy but look to be the cheapest design !
This company as good rep on older TDI but I would not buy this products for CR TDI. NOT TUV certified I think

What do you think ? Any users here ?

Let's talk about

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Since you are Canadian, you might want to also consider Malone Tuning in BC.

http://malonetuning.com/

I do not trust tuning boxes in new CR diesels because they tend to lie to the ECU about fuel rail pressure to cause it to run higher than normal. High Pressure fuel pumps are already a bit of a weak link in these motors and I would prefer to not stress them any more than is necessary. Do a search about HPFP failures and make up your own mind. While at TDIFest, I spoke to the guy who does the tunes for Malone and he said that while he does play a bit with the max fuel rail pressure, he only changes it slightly (much less than a typical tuning box does).

Have Fun!

Don

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
Since you are Canadian, you might want to also consider Malone Tuning in BC.

http://malonetuning.com/

I do not trust tuning boxes in new CR diesels because they tend to lie to the ECU about fuel rail pressure to cause it to run higher than normal. High Pressure fuel pumps are already a bit of a weak link in these motors and I would prefer to not stress them any more than is necessary. Do a search about HPFP failures and make up your own mind. While at TDIFest, I spoke to the guy who does the tunes for Malone and he said that while he does play a bit with the max fuel rail pressure, he only changes it slightly (much less than a typical tuning box does).

Have Fun!

Don
The fuel rail pressure can never exceed the maximum pressure. Maximum pressure is protected by a pressure relief valve.
The Diesel power software is designed to raise rail and boost pressure in the low and mid RPM range and go back to stock at the high RPM range. This effectively protects the turbo and the high pressure fuel pump against any damage.

TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
Interesting...

I think we have 3 serious performers here, just need more info on who use them.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
A box is NOT a tune. A tune is a program that is written by a TUNER and installed in your engine 'CPU'.

BB gun : Rifle :: Box : Tune

Bill

Steve's TDi wagon

TDI
03 Jetta wagon
PowerboX TDi VP 37

I bought a used PowerboX TDI VP37 off a teammate of mine, who used it for 4-5 years. It was a simple plug in device that allowed great pick up and increased fuel economy. I've searched alot of websites looking for this unit without any luck. Have they re-designed something new? No long in production?

What have you installed? Other sugguestions?

Under $200 would be nice, but would like options if not available.
Thank you
Cheers
Steve

TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
racechip offers a solution under 300 bucks and I saw results of 177 HP with it installed on a 140hp CR TDI. Some people said DTUK greem box is the way to go in european country cuz its economical and gives good added power

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
If it was me, I would NOT put any power adder on that raises rail pressure! But then again, I like to keep my engine and injectors operating properly for as long as they are designed.

TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
They do not raise fuel pressure as tuners have said !!! They optimised fuel pressure under the lower rpm range within factory max tolerance and work with injection timing and duration for complete fuel burn. These box can also tune the Turbo.

But I read somewhere that the US/canadian HPFpump are different than the Euro part because of the Fuel differences. Dont remember if they are stronger or not..

Who can confirm this info ?

Last edited:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I bought a used PowerboX TDI VP37 off a teammate of mine, who used it for 4-5 years. It was a simple plug in device that allowed great pick up and increased fuel economy. I've searched alot of websites looking for this unit without any luck. Have they re-designed something new? No long in production?

What have you installed? Other sugguestions?

Under $200 would be nice, but would like options if not available.
Thank you
Cheers
Steve

http://www.tdc-technologies.com/

SoupCan

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

I saw that TDC option. Less than $100? Not bad. I've read some "observations" that this model is just a variable resistor glued in a box that sends mis-information to the ECU for high fuel temp which causes more fuel to be injected. I guess it gets results though... Anyone have experience with this specific PowerBox PD from TDC?

I'm not a tuner. I'm a commuter looking for a little extra umpf for a couple bucks.

Last edited:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I saw that TDC option. Less than $100? Not bad. I've read some "observations" that this model is just a variable resistor glued in a box that sends mis-information to the ECU for high fuel temp which causes more fuel to be injected. I guess it gets results though... Anyone have experience with this specific PowerBox PD from TDC?

I'm not a tuner. I'm a commuter looking for a little extra umpf for a couple bucks.

agreed, but i was just showing where the box could be purhased

a real tuning box is available at my signature

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
You won't go wrong with Malone Tuning or DieselTuning Tuning Boxes. I've used both, and am currently using Malone Tuning in my car. Both companies have top-notch service and intelligent, helpful people to advise you properly.

Both options are good ones. :)
Talk to JSP out of Abbostford, BC to see which route they would advise you to go. They will take very good care of you, and can ship whatever you decide on. Jose and Leigh-Anne are the owners there, they work closely with both DieselTuning and Malone Tuning, and they are perfectionists. They take very good care of their customers!
www.JSPerformance.ca

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
basically it means the module will not negatively effect emissions and has approval for use in pollution controlled vehicles (in europe)