What Hp is a 10mm Pump good to

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
IIRC the 10mm pump output is limited to 70ml/stroke so for me PP764's would be fine but would max out my pump. With PP520's I am right at 150hp with my setup and I am sure I could make 180hp with the PP764's.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
its dependant on a few other factors but even with race 520s and 10mm pump 180hp is a tall order . going on a basis that ive seen other cars dynos with a 17/22 just make 180hp with race 520s and 11mm pump but only minor breathing mods . i think if youre plannging 170hp and above i would go for the 11mm pump just so you wouldnt be straining on a 10mm so hard on those figures

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
When I got my car tuned last year (details in sig), the tuner told me that the pump was pretty much maxed out at that point in terms of the duration of the injection event. This is at 138bhp on european diesel.

With bigger nozzles and a larger turbo, 150-160bhp may be feasible but that's more or less it on the 10mm pump in the AHU. Unless the ALH pump can push more fuel than the AHU one, I'd submit that this is your limit on a 10mm pump.

GT TDI Golf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Yucca what other mods were done to achieve 250whp?

I've seen dyno's by IBW that showed about a 20whp gain (IIRC) when he swapped from 10mm to 11mm. I think his mods are 17/22, PP502 nozzles, tune, maybe a SMIC and upgraded piping. With the 10mm he was around 150 or so whp. Granted these aren't the largest nozzles but I would think it's close to around 150-160whp with a 10mm is the max. That's not taking other power adder's (nitrous, propane, etc) into considersation.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I believe 150 whp is easily achivable with stock 10mm pump, VNT-15 and a set of upgraded nozzles on an ALH.

Nozzles and tune are the biggest factors.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
ALH 10mm pump + Dss Ultime2 = 250whp
You mean 250 engine-hp?

10mm ALH pump is surely doing this with DSS Ultime2.

Another ALH makes 235hp with stock, unopened engine!
Just Ultime2, rather big wg turbo, IC and intake/exhaust.

Even with the stock intake manifold flap half shut it made the same hp :D.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Why spend so much to go just 11mm when you could get pump changed to 12mm head?

Unless you need high rpms 12mm is much more fun and prepares for future mods :)

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
thanks for the input you see i did 172whp in my car with the 10mm and want more so im trying to reach 200whp so im wondering what next?nozzles or pump.
180whp with 10mm pump, vnt17, R520 injectors, PD150 intake manifold, eurojet2 FMIC, no cat, no muffler, stock size exhaust piping, Kerma/aligator tune.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
What about a lift pump? I've read here that an in-tank lift pump will be needed at some point to make big hp in an ALH. Would a 10mm pump with a LP be better than a 11mm with no LP? I ask because I have an ALH with 520PP nozzles and custom Kerma tune. I haven't dyno'ed it yet, but I'm convinced that I'm putting down over 140WHP, easy. Next step will probably be a beefy clutch, 17/22, add'l SMIC, and bigger pumps, if needed.

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
Same question - when is the moment that the lift pump becomes a "must have"? Larger IQs or other?

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Dont know my exact figures, but with vnt17 overbore, porting pp764s i keep a mk 5 golf r32 fsi in check, aka i keep up with him in an uphill straight, oh and the r32 is dsg.

But engine is underfuelled aboqve 3500 rpm.

Upgrading to 11 mm now.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
From what I have gathered the LP is a great add-on if you consistently run high rpm's and really need the extra pull of fuel. Many still run both sizes of IP's without issues because we don't push to those levels. YMMV of course...

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
You will need a lift pump once you are heavily modified.... I've seen dynos where 190whp was achieved but the entire power curve just fell off at like 3800rpm because there was no in-tank lift pump.

Under heavy load, the rotary pump needs the assistance of that lift pump or it simply won't be able to get the fuel fast enough. That same 190whp TDI would have done over 200whp had a lift pump been installed and the power didn't fall off at 3800rpm. It would have pulled much harder to 5500rpm.

That 190whp Jetta was a 99.5 and had RC5, 11mm, FMIC, W/M injection, 3" exhaust, ported head, 17/22 turbo, VR6 airbox, 3" OMI, and the rods, pistons, and cam were stock.

Last edited:

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
I put lift pumps on both my jetta's. The 99.5 is modded pretty well, it helps the top end out a bit, but it also should help with longevity of a expensive IP, starving and cavitating isn't a healthy thing for the IP. The stock 03 was sucking air in the summertime, after a few different attempts to fix it, i had it running well until a cold snap in winter. The fuel never jelled with PS in it, but it died from sucking air with added shrinkage of the plastic lines and o rings.

Now the stock one is bullet proof in the winter since i always run PS in the colder months. Its $200 and 3-4 hours of work, but how much is another IP? Or whats it worth to have a unhappy woman when the 03 puked at 0 degrees out. :D

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
The 11mm is problematic over 5400 rpm from a cavitation standpoint. Kerma made 254whp on a clapped out 10mm pump...

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
180whp with 10mm pump, vnt17, R520 injectors, PD150 intake manifold, eurojet2 FMIC, no cat, no muffler, stock size exhaust piping, Kerma/aligator tune.

ive seen the you tube video that's good power

raidaru

TDI
OK, 200 hp can be achieved with both stock 10mm or upgraded 11mm pump. What are the differences? more smoke on 10mm head? or less low end powa? Could someone clear the fog on this thread?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Stock 10 mm pump with OE fuel filter and stock fuel lines, i.e. regular points of restriction. In order to burn the fuel to make the power, I was happily convinced to go with a GTB1756. I am currently "out of fuel" when asking for more fuel than 25 psi of air can burn at around 4000 RPM, and though the pump doesn't fall on its face it's response instead rolls off when I push the pedal further. However, I have an air leak at the rubber-hose-to-clear-fuel-line so it's possible this is augmenting the condition.

That said, before the rebuild, on the base tune about 7 revisions ago and turbo adjustments and port matching et al, my B4 did 195 whp on a dynojet a little more than 2 years ago. I assume its doing better that that now, but have a few more important things than getting back on a dyno.

Hope this helps.

raidaru

TDI
Stock 10 mm pump with OE fuel filter and stock fuel lines, i.e. regular points of restriction. In order to burn the fuel to make the power, I was happily convinced to go with a GTB1756. I am currently "out of fuel" when asking for more fuel than 25 psi of air can burn at around 4000 RPM, and though the pump doesn't fall on its face it's response instead rolls off when I push the pedal further. However, I have an air leak at the rubber-hose-to-clear-fuel-line so it's possible this is augmenting the condition.

That said, before the rebuild, on the base tune about 7 revisions ago and turbo adjustments and port matching et al, my B4 did 195 whp on a dynojet a little more than 2 years ago. I assume its doing better that that now, but have a few more important things than getting back on a dyno.

Hope this helps.
Do u have smoke before boost builds up or even after? What rpm does boost kick in? I still wanna clear out is the differences between 200 hp with 10mm pump and 11mm pump. There must be downsizes and advantages to both versions.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
A puff of moderate smoke @ ~2100 RPM, which lasts to about 2400. Clear from 2500 on. This is on a cool night, ~15 ˚C, with my tiny stock intercooler.