5 Speed FHN Swap - Stuck on the Hydraulic Clutch Line

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I'm finally back at it after some months of no progress. I'm trying to finish up my Passat 5 speed manual Transmission Swap. I'm still missing a few things that I need help with.

I'm currently trying to fish the clutch line through the firewall. The pedal and master cylinder is in place, but the master cylinder and pedal assembly I got, didn't come with the retainer clip for the master cylinder. I've been trying to find a parts diagram but so far have had little luck.

I found a donor v6 gasser in a local junk yard, it did not have the clutch line or clip. When I was removing the hydraulic line that goes between the brake reservoir and the master cylinder. The hose on the car I found was rotted and worthless, and when I tried to remove the plastic 90° nipple that goes through the firewall, I broke the nipple. Does anyone have a part number for the hose and nipple?

Thanks!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Cutch slave cylinder 8E0-721-257M
Clutch Master cylinder 8E1-721-401AK
Hydraulic clutch line from 98-2005 Passat 8E1-721-460C

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Cutch slave cylinder 8E0-721-257M
Clutch Master cylinder 8E1-721-401AK
Hydraulic clutch line from 98-2005 Passat 8E1-721-460C
VWzips! Thanks fro the quick response. Unfortunately, I don't need the master cylinder, the slave, or the hard line line between them. I've got those, but am looking for the line that goes from the master cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir , in the pictures it looks like a short 90° rubber hose, a hard plastic rubber hose (that I broke) and another longer hose that goes to the brake res.

Thanks!

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
857 721 453

It's blue braided hose. I believe the colour is to tell you it's rated for brake fluid.
In the pictures on the other threads, it looks like three peices, a small 90° elbow of hose, to a plastic 90° nipple, and then up to the brake res. I'm guessing I could use a full length piece of hose, but on the master cylinder side, the nipple diamter is small, like a bleeding port on a brake caliper, say .125" diameter, and on the reservoir side its like .25" dia.

Which end would you size the hose for?

Thanks!

is there a plug or seal for the fire wall? Since I've punched the two plugs through, I'm worried that if the battery tray fills up with significant water, it will leak into the car where the new clutch pass through have been opened up.

Thanks!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The hard plastic line and 90° fitting are part of the master cyl. There is a grommet at the firewall it goes through. 8D0721495C.

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
The hard plastic line and 90° fitting are part of the master cyl. There is a grommet at the firewall it goes through. 8D0721495C.

Doh!

I was hoping to buy the retaining clip, the grommet and the 90° fitting separately as I already have the master cylinder mounted, but it looks like just buying another master cylinder is easiest (although not cheapest) route.

Thanks VWzips and Uberhare for getting me sorted out and setting me straight!

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I searched for that part number on ECS, IDparts and World Impex and had no luck. Using a 2005 Passat, 2.8l V6 manual as the search criteria on Word Impex, I found the part number 8E1-721-401-AK

I'm guessing is the same thing? No pics though to compare. The weird thing, is it looks like your picture (uberhare) came from ECS tuning, but when I tried to search the number and for "Clutch master cylinder" I had no luck?

Sorry you are having to spoon feed me all the way to the feeding Trough! Thanks for the help!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The picture I used was as a result of searching 8E1721401AK in google. Any decent supplier should be able to get you one.