20 feet, no throttle... DTC 16612

KamFong

TDI
2003 Jetta
So I recently installed some wiring and accidently disconnected the positive terminal of the battery. Now, about 1 minute or so after turning on the car (don't even have to start the engine) the glow plug light flashes and the check engine light comes on. The car will drive about 20 feet and stop. Engine continues to idle, but the throttle acts as if I took my foot off the pedal. Wait a couple seconds, and I can drive another 20 feet before the same thing happens.

VAG-COM shows the following fault code:

16612 - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor (G79): Signal too High
P0228 - 35-00 - -

Any thoughts? Dealer says I need to reset the basic settings and let the car re-learn itself. I'm skeptical.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well it could be confused so you do this:

Note: Channel 00 is a special case. Performing a [Save] to Channel 00 resets all adaptation values to their original factory defaults. This only works in controllers that support this function, see your Factory Repair Manual to find out if this procedure applies to each controller in your vehicle.

Assuming you have VagCom it is a easy thing to try.

KamFong

TDI
2003 Jetta
Can you explain how to perform the Save for channel 00 with VAG-COM? Has anyone tried this? From the Ross-Tech site, it's not clear that this will work for a TDI and I'd rather not mess something up.

KamFong

TDI
2003 Jetta
Turns out to have been some damaged wiring from where I sent the switch wire through the firewall. Dealer replaced throttle pedal as well under warranty (replaced wiring cost $165).