Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
lowest price I have seen is 2.49 in NH for D2, and lowest RUG so far is 2.04. ya, so winter is upon us, the ULSD change over and the otherwise slow fall of D2 compared to RUG when crude prices fall.. BUT.. if oil prices rise, expect RUG prices to shoot back to our current level, and we will hardly feel much difference... for a while anyways....

I still wouldn't drive a prius.. yuckkkk!

BillsTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI with DSG
Left Raleigh, NC on 10.15 and filled tank for $2.55/gal. Saw D2 for as low as $2.27 just north of Florence, SC. Around Charleston and Savannah, D2 was ~$2.38. URG was running $1.99 to 2.10. In Decatur, AL, D2 is around 2.49 while RUG is 1.98 to 2.07. Alot of variability in D2 price and running 0.20 to 0.60 more than RUG. I think we're getting hosed!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
On the NYMEX, heating oil closed Wednesday at about 22.5 cents/gallon more than RUG. Add about 4 cents/gallon for diesel, and an average of 6-10 cents/gallon for higher diesel taxes, and you can expect to pay around 35 cents/gallon more at the pump, on average.

The price differential will vary, of course, in different regions. Here in SoCal, the cheapest diesel is $2.479 and the cheapest RUG is $2.259... so about 22 cents difference. AAA says the average price of diesel is about 33-37 cents more than RUG. (But I never buy average-priced fuel.)

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
still doesn't add up

Yeah, Tornado but WHY is it still trading higher than RUL? Latest stocks from an article today state:

"...In its latest weekly report, the Energy Department said crude oil supplies grew last week by 5.1 million barrels to 335.6 million barrels, or 7 percent above year ago levels. The supply of distillate, which includes heating oil, stood at 145.4 million barrels, or 15 percent above year-ago levels even after a larger-than-expected 4.5 million barrel decline..."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061019/oil_prices.html?.v=18

So distallates are more than 2X above last year's levels at this time and more than 2X above where crude levels are now vs. last year. Yet, diesel is averaging 20% more cost for users. This is diesel's big "dirty secret," that nobody really cares enough to ensure that it is a fair price vs. gasoline and that the oil companies can "justify" the higher cost since we get better mileage. I know that eventually it will likely get more even, but it just really irks me and really plays into making Hybrids the defacto gas mileage champ in cost per mile. So all those new diesels might not ever get off the ground...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
trapperkeeper said:
Yeah, Tornado but WHY is it still trading higher than RUL? Latest stocks from an article today state:

"...In its latest weekly report, the Energy Department said crude oil supplies grew last week by 5.1 million barrels to 335.6 million barrels, or 7 percent above year ago levels. The supply of distillate, which includes heating oil, stood at 145.4 million barrels, or 15 percent above year-ago levels even after a larger-than-expected 4.5 million barrel decline..."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061019/oil_prices.html?.v=18

So distallates are more than 2X above last year's levels at this time and more than 2X above where crude levels are now vs. last year. Yet, diesel is averaging 20% more cost for users. This is diesel's big "dirty secret," that nobody really cares enough to ensure that it is a fair price vs. gasoline and that the oil companies can "justify" the higher cost since we get better mileage. I know that eventually it will likely get more even, but it just really irks me and really plays into making Hybrids the defacto gas mileage champ in cost per mile. So all those new diesels might not ever get off the ground...
High-mileage diesels are such a small percent of diesel sold it's not even a factor! :eek:

Diesel is sold to folks with trucks, construction equipment and busses.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
trapperkeeper said:

(snip)
So distallates are more than 2X above last year's levels at this time and more than 2X above where crude levels are now vs. last year. Yet, diesel is averaging 20% more cost for users.
It's great that our domestic stocks are at a comfortable level. But diesel is a globally-traded commodity. The US doesn't import very much (about 250k bbl/day versus over 1 mil bbl/day of gasoline. But if our price dropped, not only would imports dry up, but there would be an incentive to export diesel to other parts of the world that are willing to pay more for it.

This is a seasonal pattern -- not just winter in North America, but winter in the Northern Hemisphere. If you don't like to pay more at this time of year, do what wjdell does -- install a 250 or 500 gallon fuel tank and stock up when it's cheap. (OTOH, he probably filled his tank when diesel cost 50 cents/gallon more than it does now!)

Txst

Veteran Member
TDI
Shadow Blue 06 Jetta TDI
Dunno513 said:
I still wouldn't drive a prius.. yuckkkk!
For real!!! Can't believe how ugly those things are!!!:eek: They should be fined an "Ugly Tax"! But for some reason, the Gov. feels sorry for those ugly ducklings and cuts them all kinds of breaks so people will be moved to buy them. They'd have to give a whole lot more incentives for me to ever want one! (Like pay me to take one!)

Anyways, $2.39/gal for D2 here in San Antonio and $2.08/gal for RUG.

Last edited:

gbangs

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Here is Central Florida, D2 prices are ALREADY starting to go back up.
It was about two weeks ago local stations bottomed at ~$2.39 and today are ~$2.46.
RUL is still going down!

This is total crap!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
gbangs said:
Here is Central Florida, D2 prices are ALREADY starting to go back up.
It was about two weeks ago local stations bottomed at ~$2.39 and today are ~$2.46.
RUL is still going down!

This is total crap!
If you go here
http://www.etrucker.com/apps/promiles/fuelprices.asp

you'll see that diesel prices in the West are still dropping slowly, but they are up in most of the rest of the country.

I have no interest in the direction of gasoline prices.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Here where I live in Wisconsin diesel has risen 7-10 cents per gallon in the last 2 weeks. Was pretty much a 30-35 cent spread from regular, now it's 50 cents at some stations. You can say what you want about global demand but don't most refineries sell their diesel right in their own region? Do the refineries in the midwest supply heating oil to the northeast? I doubt it. I feel that prices are being manipulated to allow the refineries to re-coup some of the hundreds of millions it cost them to switch over to ULSD (but I also see UFOs frequently too):eek:

Vitoarc

TDI
2006 Jetta
GaGolfSup said:
Why is it the responsibility of politicians? Why is fuel any different than any other product? Do you write your senator about the price of bottled water, which is way more ridiculously priced than fuel? I don't like the high prices any more than you do, but overregulating prices is not the answer. In fact high prices are the only true motivation this country has to develop alternatives to petroleum.
Show me how buying bottled water is a necessity, for getting to work, and helping the American economy, then I'll answer your question about why I don't write my Senator about outrageous bottled water prices in North Carolina. North Carolinians pays some of the highest taxes in the country when it comes to filling up at the pump, and ohh by the way, I notice that you don't live here. I'm not talking about "overregulating" such as you leaped to that conclusion. I am talking about North Carolina not national prices, and the hosing that we are getting here in North Carolina. Don't jump to conclusions, and be glad that where you live you are not apparently getting hosed. And by the way, I write my Senators because my Senators are supposed to REPRESENT me. Hello???

Last edited:

Vitoarc

TDI
2006 Jetta
BillsTDI said:
Left Raleigh, NC on 10.15 and filled tank for $2.55/gal. Saw D2 for as low as $2.27 just north of Florence, SC. Around Charleston and Savannah, D2 was ~$2.38. URG was running $1.99 to 2.10. In Decatur, AL, D2 is around 2.49 while RUG is 1.98 to 2.07. Alot of variability in D2 price and running 0.20 to 0.60 more than RUG. I think we're getting hosed!
Yes we are getting HOSED in North Carolina, it is obvious. Why is it so much more expensive here to buy D2 than any other state? We are getting ripped off by paying $.50 more than SUL, plain and simple. Write the Senators, and don't listen to those peddling the bottled-water answer to apathy.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Vitoarc said:
Yes we are getting HOSED in North Carolina, it is obvious. Why is it so much more expensive here to buy D2 than any other state? We are getting ripped off by paying $.50 more than SUL, plain and simple. Write the Senators, and don't listen to those peddling the bottled-water answer to apathy.
You're not alone my friend. D2 is $2.45 (truck stop) to $2.60 (in-town stations)

RUG is 2.06

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gas is cheaper, diesel is cheaper, but milk is still too damned expensive. Why?

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Vitoarc said:
Sorry, Vitoarc, I'm have a hard time feeling sorry for you. I'm still paying $2.95 for D2. So... I don't think you have the high price record. Of course RUL is still $2.69 here too.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Sept 27, 2006:
Montague, NJ
RUG: $2.299
D2: $2.439

Oct 8th, 2006
Montague, NJ
RUG: $2.15
D2: $2.31

Oct 12, 2006
Montague, NJ
RUG: $2.07
D2: $2.27 (not ULSD yet)

Oct 22, 2006
Montague, NJ
RUG: $1.98
D2: $2.24 (not ULSD yet)

ltstanfo

TDI
2004 Passat GL Sedan
Huntsville AL Update:

ULSD $2.43 / gal at "generic" stations (Mustang, Cowboy)
ULSD $2.53 / gal at "name brand" stations (Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc...)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
Diesel continues to be 25% HIGHER than RUL in the Burlington, VT area. Oh yeah, and that's NOT ULSD since it can't be found anywhere. I am starting to regret owning TDIs. At least I kept my 6000lb SUV and can start driving it again...

RUL = $2.15/gal
D2 = $2.69/gal LSD

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
pretty sure it is ULSD

trapperkeeper said:
...and that's NOT ULSD...
are you sure? it was supposed to be mandatory at all stations nation wide Oct 1st (i believe) unless specifically indicated otherwise.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
trapperkeeper said:
Diesel continues to be 25% HIGHER than RUL in the Burlington, VT area. Oh yeah, and that's NOT ULSD since it can't be found anywhere. I am starting to regret owning TDIs. At least I kept my 6000lb SUV and can start driving it again...

RUL = $2.15/gal
D2 = $2.69/gal LSD
Why waste your money driving the SUV? Your TDI probably gets double to triple the MPG of the SUV.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
BioD = sweet

Sapp Brothers, Omaha NE

D2 or B20 = 2.499
RUG = 2.129

i like how they charge the same for D2 as BioD. in reality they probably get the BioD cheaper since it's all midwestern grown, but at least this way no one can use the "it's more expensive" excuse to not run BioD.

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
Yes I'm sure it's still not ULSD

The stickers on the tanks still say LSD and I still see a bunch of smoke from my cars. It also looks and foams the same. I believe that the ULSD law says something like 80% of the on road diesel needs to be ULSD by 10/15/06 and they have until 2010 to be 100%. As a side note, it's kinda strange that it's not here yet since VT is a treehugger state and the environmentalists forced VT to adopt the CARB rules a few years ago, but then not a peep about ULSD which in and of itself is cleaner from a particulate point of view. Hypocrites! Anway, latest fuel prices in the BTV area:

RUL = $2.05
D2 LSD = $2.69

I'm getting more pissed by the day and don't like being taken advantage of which I now feel I really am getting shafted by driving a diesel. Thus the reason that I will start driving my truck again. If gas is going to be $2/gal or less and diesel has a $.70 price premium, I sure ain't gonna pay it. I'd rather pay more in gas to drive my nice, large, spacious truck then get taken advantage of by diesel sellers who are sticking it to me and every other diesel owner in the area. They are making HUGE profits on diesel for no reason other than they can since there is not enough passenger diesel owners to do anything about it. The longer this delta is there and the fact that it's there at all will fuel gas hybrids and not diesels. Kinda too bad since I really do like how the TDIs drive. Time will tell, I still keep hoping it's a hiccup that will get fixed in not too long, but I fear the worst, that the price delta is here to stay.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I now feel I really am getting shafted by driving a diesel.
It is still going to cost a lot less to drive the TDI than your truck. Even at the local spread ($2.09 for gas, $2.69 for diesel) it is cheaper to drive a TDI Golf than a 2.0 gas Golf... much less a big truck.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
McBrew said:
It is still going to cost a lot less to drive the TDI than your truck. Even at the local spread ($2.09 for gas, $2.69 for diesel) it is cheaper to drive a TDI Golf than a 2.0 gas Golf... much less a big truck.
$2.69! ACK!

BP in Edgewater is $2.57 and the cheap station by Lee Airport is $2.54