infotainment display issue

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
Yesterday the infotainment screen in my 2015 Golf Sportwagen went black. The "brains" in the glove box still work, for example I can play a CD. The touchscreen responds to touches, but since the screen is all black I have to guess where the buttons would be. I have owned the car for less than 4 months. The infotainment screen worked a few days ago although the display would often flicker with ghost images. The 36 month bumper to bumper warranty just ended a few days ago, so I missed my chance for a free repair.

I tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds many times. I hear a little crackle after 13 seconds but nothing else happens. My guess is the backlight to the touchscreen has failed. I had electrical and radio gremlins with past VWs. I made an appointment with a local VW dealer for next Tuesday. I gave the service guy my VIN and he told me the warranty just expired but he said we could work something out which might mean a discount on the service.

I started to take the trim pieces off around the touchscreen after watching a YouTube video, but the clips are on pretty tight and I don't want to break the trim plastic. Should I try to put an aftermarket touchscreen radio in or fix the factory infotainment? Are other Mk7 golf owners having issues with their touchscreens?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The only issue that I've had with our display screen is some flickering when the back-up camera is on. Couldn't make it happen the last time the car was in for service, but the dealer is aware. Luckily, ours is a CPO with the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
In reverse the screen will go blank if car moves over 4 mph. Like all electrical try cycling the power and see if it does come out of it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I doubt that I ever drive over 4 MPH in reverse, and it sometimes flickers even with the car sitting still. It's actually more of a pixillation than an on-and-off flicker.

In reverse the screen will go blank if car moves over 4 mph. Like all electrical try cycling the power and see if it does come out of it.

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
I disconnected the battery for a hour but the screen is still blank. I think it's the backlight because the touchscreen still responds. I could buy a used 5G0919605 from eBay for $100 but I would still have to get the dealer to unlock it and maybe they would refuse to. There is some kind of anti-theft called CP so I can't just swap another display unit without unlocking it.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I have my old display (5G0 919 605H) since I did the MIB2 upgrade if you want. Just PM me if you're interested in buying it off me.

Last edited:

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
I have my old display (5G0 919 605H) since I did the MIB2 upgrade if you want. Just PM me if you're interested in buying it off me.

Thanks for the offer. The dealer service guy said I am so close to the end of the warranty that they are going to replace it for "good will" and he told me not to buy anything.

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
Thanks for the offer. The dealer service guy said I am so close to the end of the warranty that they are going to replace it for "good will" and he told me not to buy anything.
I know I'm late to this party, but that's exactly what I was going to suggest you push for. Glad they offered it for you.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Any updates? Did they figure it out?

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
They replaced 5G0035878AU with 5G0035878AX for free

I just got it back from the Cutrubus dealer in Layton Utah. They fixed it for free as a good will repair. I asked the service advisor if these units are glitchy and she said somewhat, mine was the third one the dealer has replaced in the 2015 models. The service advisor Ashlei claimed they saved me almost $1000 by repairing it for free. The 5G0035878AX control unit which they installed is a $400 part while the 5G0035878AU which they removed is a $150 part. I think it's just a revision of the same part which is the CD player and "brains" in the glove box. The new unit should last 5+ years and by then we can expect better or cheaper aftermarket options.

Here are the service notes from the invoice:
Installed 5G0035878AX CTRL unit Qty 1
Core Chg 5G0035878AU CTRL unit Qty 1
Verified that radio has sound but screen does not work. Checked fault codes using GFF and found fault for B1297F6 multimedia display wire open circuit. Removed trim and display unit/radio and display is ok. Removed ECM for information control head and checked wires between ECM and display and all are ok. Replaced and coded ECM for information display control head and now display works properly. Cleared all faults and reinstalled center dash trim. Good will repair per service manager. $0

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I believe the "X" suffix in VW p/ns normally indicates the part is a reconditioned, not new or a redesigned part. The core charge seems consistent with that.

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
I believe the "X" suffix in VW p/ns normally indicates the part is a reconditioned, not new or a redesigned part. The core charge seems consistent with that.
When I google 5G0035878AX the results show a $400 part and when I google 5G0035878AU the results show a $150 part. I don't know how they program the ECM or the CP to accept the new part when they swap it.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
If I'm right and the X part is an unimproved, reconditioned U part, no recoding may be necessary. And the $400 price would not reflect the core credit. The availability of the X part suggests the U is no longer available, regardless of whether its still listed.

finkadelic

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI S
Just wanted to add that i experienced a flickering screen issue in my 2015 sportwagen tdi s. I found a replacement control unit (glovebox) on ebay pretty cheap. Foolishly didn't realize that it would be locked out for theft prevention. Took it to the dealer and they unlocked for about $70. Works great, glitching gone.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
My screen went black this week. If I knew where to press, the touch screen still functions. It just has no backlight, I guess. I have an appointment Monday, since I'm still in my 3 year warranty period. I'll scan the car before my appointment to see if any error codes are present. I wonder how common this failure is.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If I'm right and the X part is an unimproved, reconditioned U part, no recoding may be necessary. And the $400 price would not reflect the core credit. The availability of the X part suggests the U is no longer available, regardless of whether its still listed.

I thought each electrionic device now is vin tied through the control protection that needs dealer or ODIS to have the CANBUS accept the new component?

Thus the dealer or someone with ODIS needs to "program" it.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
My issue turned out to be that the main infotainment unit in my glove box was at fault and not the display. The dealership replaced the "brain" under warranty.

Were it to die outside of warranty, I guess I'd be looking for a MIB2 upgrade of some sort, as the MIB1 parts would be just as expensive.

I planned on scanning the car with VCDS while it was acting up, but was too busy to do so. I wonder if a dealership would also charge extra to program (remove cp and code to car) for a new OE replacement outside of warranty.

At any rate, it had me wondering what a MIB2 upgrade would cost/entail if I needed to do so outside of warranty, and left me with one question. I know the glove box unit has CP, but does the display also have it?

I've seen a few spots where you can buy a "brain" itself with CP removed, but that would be kinda of pointless if I also had to remove it from an Ebay or junk yard-sourced display as well.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
From what I gleaned from my install (MIB2, and then a year later, the AID), the display is pretty much just a "dumb" monitor - doesn't really factor into the CP. I may be wrong and maybe it's partnered with the MIB2 head unit.

Regarding your question of whether the dealer would charge you for removing CP....unless you have compromising information on them, I'd suggest "yes". And that's assuming you could get the to do it. Some dealers will balk at doing something "off-book" like that.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I also have the flickering screen which started this morning. I'll check connections in the glove box and see if that makes a difference. The flickering happens with the reverse camera on, as well as with audio info displays. It's maddening to even leave the radio on. Assuming it's still on warranty [25k miles, new in Sept, 2017]

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've messed around a bit in the glove box and no change or improvement. As much as I avoid it, dlr appointment a week away. I'll remove the Polar unit before I take it in. As I've looked at it more carefully, it's only the lower half of the screen that is jumpy, but it is continuous. The appointment writer was being nice to let me know that warranty coverage is vague at best. I'll hit them hard if they want me to pay for it, since I owe more on the car to VW credit than it's worth. Yeah, that was intentional.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Mine is flickering to the point where it’s unusable. I bought my 2015 new in May 2017 but now have 99,500 miles on it. Am I out of luck here now with VW covering it?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, mine was replaced on warranty. Seems it's a known, but pretty rare, issue. Check with your dealer and see what they say. If no luck, begin checking eBay or junk yards.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Anything infotainment issues will be covered under 3/yr 36k bumper to bumper, so yeah i think you are SOL.

If it's the head unit (not the display), good thing is many people want to ditch their old MIB1 systems for newer MIB2, then you just have to deal with the stupid "component protection".

If it's the display it's plug and play and any ebay display will work.

earlyd

TDI
2009 JSW TDI
I had a blank screen, but sound issue as well on my last 2015 sportwagon. Tried an ebay screen, but it flickered. Took it to the dealer and they covered it although it was out of warranty ( by miles, not time). They ended up changing screen and box in glove box. Car was totalled a month later. Found another 2015 TDI wagon as a replacement. Hope not too common of an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Same issue here - My screen has been flickering towards the bottom of the screen for about 4 months now, I had talked with the tech at the dealership and they said its the module in the glovebox (my cost was $624 for a new one), but if you let it go for awhile it can take the screen out. I chose not to repalce that module due to the cost of it, however my screen went dark yesterday, still have sound, but can't see anything on it.

I'm going to run codes on it tonight. The tech said they've started to see a few of these do this.

rydhxb

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI bought new in 2017 with the exact same problem!
I heard that is was very common and could cost $1000 to repair and that it was the "head unit" in the glove box.
If this is so common you would think VW would cover it?
I have 80K miles on mine, all cross country miles, 54 MPG!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
MIB2 upgrade on the cheap: ebay unit and some guy/gal for jailbreaking won't ring you $1k...and yes, it is the brains in the glovebox.

...MIB2 upgrade requires a larger screen at the same time. MIB screen resolution is different to MIB2

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Mine failed a few weeks ago. New display is right around $1K retail from VW. You'll also need the dealer or a savvy third party to help you sync the new unit to the rest of the infotainment and your car's comfort module.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I can't tell exactly who has what problems, haha. But if you're just replacing the screen it doesn't require any coding. You can plug it in and go on your way. If you are replacing the unit in your glove box then you need a dealer or savvy third party, as mentioned.

If you care about having an error scan of 5F Infotainment after a screen only replacement you can clear the system version management soft code that you will have. It will only show in a scan, and can stay there forever with no ill effect. But if you want to clear it...

As an aside, a Sirius XM subscription is also required if you want to have a really error free scan of 5F :LOL:.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I can't tell exactly who has what problems, haha. But if you're just replacing the screen it doesn't require any coding. You can plug it in and go on your way. If you are replacing the unit in your glove box then you need a dealer or savvy third party, as mentioned.
You sure about this? If so that's good news. I want my guru to do this. I haven't taken a VW to a dealer for anything since 2004.