2015 Touareg TDI - Malone Stage 2 issue, limp mode, possibly stuck in regen

Status
Not open for further replies.

15TDIreg

TDI
2015 Touareg TDI Lux and 2014 Passat TDI Sel
Need some help here. Have a 2015 Touareg TDI with 14k miles. Bought it with 1000 miles on it. Went through the diesel gate stuff recently and had the "fix" done. I emailed Malone and rawtek and both told me "delete" tuning after the diesel gate "fix" was no issue. Last weekend we deleted the car by installing the rawtek delete kit and thus removed the Nox and DPF cans and replaced them with their straight pipes which are of great quality by the way. The rawtek kit reuses the DPF sensor but deletes the two sensors that were in the Nox can. Malone sent me a flashzilla 3 which I had issues with at first but somehow the 4th computer was able to get it updated. It kept reading "unit not configured". Once the flashzilla issue was fixed on its own i uploaded the stage 2 econo tune Mark sent and the car ran great for 100 miles or so. All of a sudden the DPF filter indicator light came on and the screen read diesel particulate filter, see manual. another 30 miles later the car went into limp mode and has been stuck there since with no DPF filter indicator illuminated and the VCDS oddly enough now reading no faults. I have double checked that the sensors are unplugged, everything appears normal but the car has a regen type of smell when sitting still at idle and may be stuck in a form of regen mode. Tuning it back to stock and re tuning the malone tune has not helped at all. Of course it is Christmas and am getting very limited support at this point but would like to get this thing running if at all possible before the first of the year. Thanks in advance.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sounds like the wrong file was sent, email their support they are pretty good.

Also you must use an Win 7 machine or newer for the flashzilla, thats what got me.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
ouch...wish you the best. Sadly my tuner shy'd me away from malone for similar reasons on my treg...i ran malone for years in my mk6 cr but.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I put JR stage 1 on my ‘13 today. Nothing but smiles so far. Upgrading to 2 first of the year.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I put JR stage 1 on my ‘13 today. Nothing but smiles so far. Upgrading to 2 first of the year.
You wont have any issues i have been putting it to the grueling test for over 2 years and its never given me single hiccup and stage 3 is QUICK

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
There has been support over the weekend on this and Mark sent a file earlier today.

Happy Holidays

Last edited:

15TDIreg

TDI
Got some support from Owain and later Mark over the weekend and last week regarding possible sensors still being plugged in which was appreciated. Nothing like your girls car stuck un drivable after you tuned it for her when she could have cared less!! After checking them all, they were in fact unplugged at connections. My guess is sensors were never the issue to begin with. The unplugged sensors if curious were the DPF sensor, two from the old NOx can along with the two prong pressure sensor in the engine bay area that used to run to DPF can and of course the def fluid nozzle. Today Mark sent a new Stage 2 tune and so far on two short test drives no codes or lights popped up (didn't have any codes before mysteriously) and full power has been restored (before was limp power at best, 45mph or so max). I did want to know what was changed and was told by Owain via email I was either sent the wrong tune or a small revision was needed but i still don't have a clear answer this yet.

Last edited:

Strapper

TDI
15 touareg exec
I too have a 15 touareg w/ Malone stage 2 and dpf delete. I got the dpf delete drove around 40 miles and the dpf alarm came on. I got the dpf delete programming done and took home the rawtek bypass kit to install. Installation was completed without the aft nox sensor installed. Plug with kit was installed. I assumed the Malone dpf delete programming would take care of everything else as no instruction was included with rawtek kit. 20 miles later I am in limp mode on way to a recommended garage to get help. Unplugged more sensors and no faults found that would reset the limp mode that deactivates turbo boost. I would sure appreciate specifics on disconnects under car and hood. Going into shop for malone diagnostic and more in depth analysis to program today. Unplugged now, urea pump and nox sensor. Thanks

15TDIreg

TDI
The following sensors are unplugged in the 2015 install. The pressure sensor in the engine bay that ran to the two black hoses that used to run into the DPF filter. These hoses should be left alone and not plugged off, just unplugged at harness. The DPF sensor (only one in the removed DPF) is reused and plugged into the delete pipe but the harness is to be unplugged upstream about 20 inches. The ad blue/ dpf fluid injector is to be unplugged at harness. The two NOx can sensors are both unplugged under the car, one of which is hidden under the ride side heat shield. One sensor is plugged back into the rawtek pipe and the other port is blocked off with the block off plug supplied. All of the above should be unplugged at harnesses. That said, with all of mine unplugged I had a similar issue that showed the DPF light on dash, later going off and leaving me in limp mode. I plugged the VCDS reader in a not engine codes found. Few days and many emails later I was sent a "recode" tune from Malone which addressed the issue for me so far. I have not yet been told what was different about the recode tune or if it just cleared out something or if the tune was bad or the wrong tune was sent originally, would be nice to know the particulars. Give us an update on what you find out, hopefully you have the same tune issue or something simple. If you cannot find a sensor or need some help send me a PM and I can help you over the phone.

Strapper

TDI
15 touareg exec
I went back into local Malone install shop with your reccomended sensors disconnected and they installed Mark's updated dpf delete software. They used your thread for reference and I am torquing once again. Thanks, Rob

15TDIreg

TDI
Glad to hear. Malone emailed as well and confirmed we both had the same issue with a DPF tune setting. Hopefully resolved for future installs on these models.

kerlyb

TDI
2015 Touareg
How much mileage improvement did you guys get with the delete and tune? My 2015 Treg lost 3-4 mpg since emission recall done and seriously looking at delete/tune.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
How much mileage improvement did you guys get with the delete and tune? My 2015 Treg lost 3-4 mpg since emission recall done and seriously looking at delete/tune.
Does your before and after mileage comparison account for the change to winter diesel, ie, all mileage computed on the same type of fuel? Not discouraging a tune, just curious as to whether mileage loss is solely due to the emissions fix (still waiting to fix our '14).

kerlyb

TDI
2015 Touareg
Yes I took into consideration winter blend fuel. 3rd winter with my Treg and definitely down on mileage compared to other winters. Treg is also markedly down, since emission fix, compared to my other diesel car and diesel pick up truck...all relatively driven and fueled equally.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Seeing as they've had the tunes installed for a couple of weeks they won't have long term mileage data to report. If you have any questions unrelated to the thread you're welcome to contact us directly or PM owners of modified vehicles.

Last edited:

15TDIreg

TDI
Not sure what long term vs short term difference you will find but over the last few tanks in the Stage 2 2015 Touareg I have seen 23.8-25.1 mpg overall. This is by resetting the average at each tank fill and also averaging this with a hand calc. I find the hand calc to be roughly .5 mpg or so lower than the digital read out. This is about 70% highway and 30% city driving.

Yamajet

TDI
Jetta, Touareg
Question for Owain......
I’m considering same tune and rawtek mod on my ‘14. Can I expect similar trial and error on the initial tune?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
No, we tune a large number of these vehicles, this was a minor hiccup following the emissions update and the customer received an updated file Christmas eve. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.