Found this interesting: "VW Approved Diesel Fuel Additive"

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
That is indeed very interesting. But now the question is, approved for which engines? If they are relying on the old service bulletin, it may mean approved for pre-common rail engines only.

-dan

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
That brand has for a long time been "sanctioned/ sold, etc. " by VWA/local VW dealers. As of the 2009 TDI MY oem owners manual says NO additive is needed and/or recommended. The unofficial issue being low saps. I have heard nor seen no update in the 2010 MY owners manual or web thread.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
ruking said:
.. As of the 2009 TDI MY oem owners manual says NO additive is needed and/or recommended. The unofficial issue being low saps. I have heard nor seen no update in the 2010 MY owners manual or web thread.
The unofficial issue being low saps... ? Can you explain, thanks?

And...I use Standyne in my 2000 TDI all the time. Good or Bad?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Low SAPS-
low sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur. usually associated with engine oil- not fuel.

the issue with fuel additive is sulfur content. It needs to be <16ppm sulfur content to work with a DPF equipped vehicle.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
danham said:
That is indeed very interesting. But now the question is, approved for which engines? If they are relying on the old service bulletin, it may mean approved for pre-common rail engines only.

-dan
It's nothing new. VW released a TSB many years ago, probably starting around the Pumpe-Duse days in regards to using the Stanadyne All-Season formula to reduce the likelihood of of fuel gelling in the winter.

Just search and you'll find the TSB.

my old 02 manual also said, fuel additives are not necessary.

P.S. If VW printed in the owner's manual to only use the Stanadyne stuff, it actually violates the magnuson-moss act, which is why it is safer for them to write additives are not necessary

Last edited:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
the same one my dealer has at their shop. I bought the big jug of it when I first bought my car and have been using it since my first fill up.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I use both Stanadyne Performance Formula and PowerService- both with no issues at all. Knowing that a VW dealer is selling Stanadyne opens them up to all sorts of issues. Or the dealer could end up in the hot seat. Since the manual in the 09/10's stated "no additive", what happens when Mr. and Mrs. NewVWtdiowner stop in and buy this for their new 09/10, but the dealer failed to inform them NOT to use it in their 09/10?? The sign doesn't specify which car it can be used for does it? I would bet the parts guy doesn't know either.
Use a good additive- your fuel system will thank you for it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's approved for the PD cars only, AFAIK. They never approved an additive that I'm aware of for the rotary cars, nor have they for the '09 and '10s.

spence

TDI
'06 Golf
Hi there.
I just picked up my first TDI -- an 06 Golf (and I LOVE it).
When I picked it up, the sales guy gave me 4 bottles of this stuff and said that I should put 1/3 a bottle per fillup, every time. I was told that this was because of the high sulfur content in Canadian fuels. I have been wondering though, Shell V-Power is advertised as low (ultra low?) diesel, so is this still required?

Either way, I am thrilled to be driving such an efficient car -- I am sitting at about 505KM and the needle is just now hitting the mid-way point :)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
spence said:
Hi there.
sales guy...gave me 4 bottles...was told that this was because of the high sulfur content in Canadian fuels. )
Salesguy wrong! :rolleyes:
All diesel sold in Canada is low sulfur, 15 ppm, same as US. From Canada's version of the USA's EPA. "Environment Canada’s approach on the Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations is to align with the requirements (timing and level) of the U.S. federal regulations. "
See question five http://www.believeinit.ca/userfiles/pdf/ULSD_Q&A_e.pdf
That being said, I used Standyne Power Formula every fuel up - according to directions on label.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your sales guy was right if you replace the word high with low. ULSD is low on lubricity and the stanadyne helps.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
ruking said:
...As of the 2009 TDI MY oem owners manual says NO additive is needed and/or recommended...
Do you have a section/page number where it says it in the manual. I could not locate it.