GTG: Milwaukee, WI @ West Allis Auto Club, *Rocketchip attending* - Sept 29, 2018

Preferred date:

• Sat. Oct 6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
EDIT 8/2/18 - **Saturday, Sept 29th** date has been set and confirmed with Jeff @ Rocketchip.
Time: 10am - ?? (let's try and wrap up any 'major' work by 6pm if not sooner.)
Location: West Allis Auto Club, 1721 S. 100th St, West Allis, WI 53214

It's been a few years since I hosted a GTG, and since I have several TDI's in the family that need to get tuned I've contacted Jeff @ Rocketchip to see if he would be able to attend a GTG in the Milwaukee, WI area. Jeff's available dates are either Saturday, Sept 29 or Oct 6. I'm open to either date so I figured I'd throw it out to the TDI community and see if one date is better than the other. I have tentative permission from the West Allis Auto Club (which I'm a member of) to host this event at that location again.

The West Allis Auto Club is a working car club with shop facilities so light mechanical work would be allowed given space is available. We do have two hoists in the shop but availability may be limited, if you expect you may need use of a hoist, you should schedule that with me ahead a time. Any fluid changes will require a small fee be paid (~$2) to comply with our hazardous waste disposal program as we are required being considered as a 'shop' by the city.

Everyone attending will be required to sign a liability release waiver just as we did in years past. The Auto Club also asks that everyone attending either bring a bag of canned goods or a cash donation for the local food pantry.

We have a grill at the club if someone is willing to play chef. I'm willing to provide brats/dogs or something to put on the grill. Pot luck for side dishes??

Due to our insurance policy, the club rules are that no consumption/open alcohol is permitted in the building while work of any sort is being performed. Sorry it has to be this way, but this is a hard and fast rule. If you are of age and not performing any work, you may consume your own beverages outside but are asked to be responsible. Anyone that is obnoxious/intoxicated will be asked to leave.

NEW tune list:
1) 6x6man - 2001 Golf
2) 6x6man - 2003 Jetta wagon
3) Jim R. - 2002 Jetta
4) Jim R. - 2003 Jetta wagon
5) Nathan C. - 2004 Jetta wagon
6) John S. - 2004 Golf
7) John S. - 2004 Jetta wagon
8) tom318 - 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
9) DetailguywithaTDI - 2011 Jetta TDI wagon
10)
11)
12)
Loyce S 2015 TDI Touareg DSG tune and tune - **CANCELED**
PAW 2015 GSW TDI DSG tune and a tune - **CANCELED**

**Note: This is just a list of the people that are looking to have new tunes performed, not the order in which they will be performed, that will be decided by Jeff the day of the event.

Update to prior tune list:
1) Fix_Until_Broke - 2003 Jetta
2) scurvy - 2006 Golf BEW
3) arrowman - 2003 Jetta

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Two GTG's in less than one month both with a tuner......not so good.

After much thought and turmoil on when to have the cruise/gtg, I've decided that one fall gathering would work best for most. This way it gives everyone plenty of notice on when the cruise/gtg will be held and can make necessary plans to make it to the cruise/gtg. Plus it should be close to peak fall colors that weekend. :D
Your more than welcome to invite a friend that is into cars, but doesn't have a TDI. I figure the more the merrier.:cool:

Our shop will be the meeting spot for the cruise/gtg.
203 Keel Ct
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235

Our shop is 60x90 and has a 2 post lift for anyone that would be interested in getting underneath their car or just make it easier to rotate tires, change pads, bleed/flush brakes, etc. Please no major work unless I approve it.

Start time is 9am and we usually have a 15 minute meet and greet before we leave for the cruise. The cruise usually takes between 3-4 hours depending on route/speed if you just wanna come for the gtg portion or if there is someone that would be there tuning cars. You can figure we'll be back between 12:30 and 1.

If you can please bring a dish to pass(can be cookies, chips, water, soda, napkins, plates, plasticware, etc) for when we get back from the cruise and get the grill going to cook some burgers, brats, and if you wanna bring something else to put on the grill you're more than welcome to.

EDIT: Unfortunately Jeff at Rocketchip had to cancel his trip here due to a family obligation that came up. If things change I'll keep you guys and gals updated.

Feel free to pm me or ask here if you think others might be wondering the same thing. I look forward to seeing everyone this fall. :)

Here's a link to last years cruise/gtg: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480490

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Yes, I realize 3L3M3NT has an event planned for Oct 20th. I'm not trying to detract from his event, I'm sure the cruise will be spectacular with the colors at that time of year, worth attending for that reason alone. I just have five TDI's in the family fleet that are in need of being tuned (just added two in the last few weeks.) I'm sure Malone is a fine product, but I'm just loyal to Jeff at Rocketchip since he has tuned both my '99 and '01 Jetta's already and I have been very happy with the results. When Jeff had a schedule conflict for Oct 20th come up, I decided to reach out to him to see what dates he would be available. So, I hope you can make one or both events. Hanging out with a bunch of fellow TDI enthusiasts for the day, what's better than that.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes, I realize 3L3M3NT has an event planned for Oct 20th. I'm not trying to detract from his event, I'm sure the cruise will be spectacular with the colors at that time of year, worth attending for that reason alone. I just have five TDI's in the family fleet that are in need of being tuned (just added two in the last few weeks.) I'm sure Malone is a fine product, but I'm just loyal to Jeff at Rocketchip since he has tuned both my '99 and '01 Jetta's already and I have been very happy with the results. When Jeff had a schedule conflict for Oct 20th come up, I decided to reach out to him to see what dates he would be available. So, I hope you can make one or both events. Hanging out with a bunch of fellow TDI enthusiasts for the day, what's better than that.

So what your saying is.... you want to sponsor a WI GTG so you and your family can get Jeff in town to do tunes for you and your family. ;)

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Hmmm, October 6th, isn’t that the day before the Packers pass the torch to the Lions?

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Why yes, I do believe it is.
WEEK 5 · Sun 10/07 · 12:00 PM CDT

Packers AT Detroit Lions

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Why yes, I do believe it is.
WEEK 5 · Sun 10/07 · 12:00 PM CDT

Packers AT Detroit Lions
You didn’t disagree with me about Packers passing the torch, something fishy here. Either you’re not a Packers fan or this is a set up:D

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, I'm only a fair weather Packer fan. The whole 'take a knee' thing turned me off football last year. I much prefer the winter Olympics.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, politics can sure take the fun out of entertainment

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Either date works for me. Would love to come back - the West Allis Auto Club has a great shop! I could use some tweaks to my RC1 and hopefully take care of a few maintenance items at the same time.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I won't be there. Have an event planned elsewhere. I'd close the pool sooner so people can plan. You'll have a better turn out. And I agree about Jeff and his tuning skills. Many others leave a lot to be desired.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't be there. Have an event planned elsewhere. I'd close the pool sooner so people can plan. You'll have a better turn out. And I agree about Jeff and his tuning skills. Many others leave a lot to be desired.
Jason,

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. I'm leaning hard to just locking in the Sept 29 date for this event. Everyone that has voted in the poll has gone for that date and I know I've spoken with a few others that have not voted yet that the 29th works better for them also. I'm going to confirm with Jeff and the Auto Club board next week and will make the decision then.

I also want to confirm with Jeff how many new tunes he needs to have commitments for to make the trip worth while for him. I think we're currently at 7. I know a few people were hoping to have existing tunes tweaked.

tom318

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI and 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi guys, new to the forum but been driving a tdi for the last 7yrs. Just bought another one and JasonTDI informed me about this event. Im interested in getting a tune for 2015 wagon and getting to know some local TDI enthusiasts.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys, new to the forum but been driving a tdi for the last 7yrs. Just bought another one and JasonTDI informed me about this event. Im interested in getting a tune for 2015 wagon and getting to know some local TDI enthusiasts.

tom318,

Welcome to TDIClub, there is a wealth of knowledge contained within, and some pretty great people willing to help each other out. Looking forward to meeting in person.

TDI
2011 VW TDI Jetta wagon
Hello, JasonTDI also informed me about this upcoming event. We have a 2011 JettaTDI wagon we'd like to get tuned. The information contained in here, is very powerful.I struggle to find most information on this forum, and I'm sure it's just the lack of familiarity with it. If possible, I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to give me a tutorial on how to navigate. In regards to the tuning; I would like to put my name in, to get ours tuned. Wherever that link is, I would like to 'sign up' for it.......

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, JasonTDI also informed me about this upcoming event. We have a 2011 JettaTDI wagon we'd like to get tuned. The information contained in here, is very powerful.I struggle to find most information on this forum, and I'm sure it's just the lack of familiarity with it. If possible, I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to give me a tutorial on how to navigate. In regards to the tuning; I would like to put my name in, to get ours tuned. Wherever that link is, I would like to 'sign up' for it.......

No link to 'sign up', but I edited the tune list in the first post of this thread to add your name to the list.

We have WiFi at the club so I'm sure someone can help show you around the forum.

PAW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 5 spd bug, 03 Jetta 5 spd con, 06 5 spd Jetta, 15 GSW DSG, 15 Golf DSG
6x6man--there are two of us that would like to get tuned---Loyce S 2015 TDI Touareg DSG tune and tune-- then I 2015 GSW TDI DSG tune and a tune.

thanks, Phil

Last edited:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
PAW, you and Loyce S have been added to the tune list. Looking forward to seeing you there.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I'll add this. Custom tunes, complicated ones that take HOURS sometimes, you guys should wait to the end and let everyone with a simple flash get on with their day. Happens every time.....it's a total PITA for everyone else stuck waiting for "changes" to your set up. Just sayin'....

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Jason - I assume you're directing this comment at scurvy and myself? This is why there's a separate list for re-tunes/updates and why Jeff decides the order of the tuning activities.

I agree with your comment, though it seems a bit unsolicited. I'm assuming you've had issues with this in the past? Hope it hasn't been me - if so my apologies. I've always understood that re-tunes/updates are 2nd priority, but ultimately decided by the tuner.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The tunes list always seems to be a bit of a pain, and I do appreciate Jason's comment to help manage expectations - especially with new folks at GTGs.

All I'm looking for is immobilizer delete and going back to the 7v glow plug programming as the "improved" 5v plugs suck compared to the originals. Possibly upgrading to RC1+ or 2? Would have to talk with Jeff about that, and would do so directly. And yes, this is on my 2006 BEW Golf, 6x6man.

Also, anybody got some Golf fenders that are rust-free? Mine aren't and before I start hitting the pick & pulls wanted to see if anybody has some up for trade.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I stuck your thread for you. I hope the GTG goes well and you have excellent weather! :)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I thought Jeff (Rocketchip) tuned cars in the order they appear on the actual paper hard copy "tune list" he puts out on the day of the GTG where owners sign up in person? In other words, first come - first served excepting the rare cases of an under-maintained TDI he refuses to tune and/or a custom complicated tune where he may shuffle the order of tunes around a bit.

At least that's how he's always done it at Michigan GTG's for many, many years. Perhaps you Wisconsiners do it differently from what is being said here...

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
It is up to Jeff to decide the order he performs tunes, so I assume that he will do it the same way he has in the past.

The list in the first post of this thread is simply to give people an idea of how many people are looking for Jeff's services.

TDI
2011 VW TDI Jetta wagon
Tune appointment for GTG

Jason, and all in the forum; Thank You for the info, and help within. I can't find the first post of this thread; "No link to 'sign up', but I edited the tune list in the first post of this thread to add your name to the list." My apologies but I just don't know how to find the info in this forum. If I can find it, I'll put my name on it. I've looked on Jeffs website. The GTG is not there. I believe I'll just call him and see what he suggests. His Facebook doesn't look really active. I was unable to find the West Allis Auto Club event within it. I'll reach out to him via phone. I'm eager to get our 2011 Wagon tuned for Max mileage/efficiency, which Jason suggested will also improve our performance. Everybody's always very busy. I'm eager for anyone's suggestions, and Jason, Yes, that will be awesome to have a tutorial from someone at the event. Thank You, Brent

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Try this link, it should take you to the first page of this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=490794

Your name is already on the list for a new tune so you have no worries there. I don't believe Jeff lists/promotes what GTG events he will be at. The quickest way to reach Jeff is by calling him at (717) 676-8755 if you need to discuss what you are looking for in your tune.

Hope this helps.