TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I know......it is like Local GTG's going away.....Not sure if we will see another Fest...

I went to the hotel today to look around. They have some great isolated lots that would look great filled with TDIs and [other] diesels. I can see pulling a "mini-fest" together for 2017.

Besides. 1997 was the first year of TDI, wasn't it? I know I started calling my dealer for a Windsor Blue Jetta, Orlando package and dark interior in 1997.

I'm willing to step up if there is interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I went to the hotel today to look around. They have some great isolated lots that would look great filled with TDIs and [other] diesels. I can see pulling a "mini-fest" together for 2017.

Besides. 1997 was the first year of TDI, wasn't it? I know I started calling my dealer for a Windsor Blue Jetta, Orlando package and dark interior in 1997.

I'm willing to step up if there is interest.

1996 was the first year. We celebrated 20 years of TDIClub last year. :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I suppose I could visit my family in Connecticut if this really kicks off. I drove there in April in my 2003 Jetta (by myself) and it was a nice 3,700 mile round trip ride. Plus, I had some quiet time to myself.

Upstate NY would be nice and maybe cooler than Texas in September.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'd show up with or without a diesel just to hang out and see everybody.
I'd have to debate which diesel I'd show up with - the Golf or the JSW. We're now a 6 diesel household (3 TDIs, a diesel side by side, and 2 Ford diesel tractors).

As for location, I'm open to wherever, so long as it's nothing remote like northern Idaho, Montana, or Maine (even though I love Maine and would probably still make the trip, anyways). And I'll also pass on Upper Cracktown.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The way things are going is that I would show up without a diesel:(. We are looking at 2017 Jetta TSI's right now and I will have the 1971 Beetle if that falls through. No A/C in the old beetle though.:rolleyes:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
That is more acceptable than a gas powered CHEVY HHR. Lore has it a certain member here showed up at a Fest in a HHR and lived to tell the tale... :rolleyes: ;) :p
Lore is Correct!! However in my Defense the HHR was a TDI turbo direct injected!! and actually the HHR SS which was Red attended 2 FEST's OHIO and DC and my Jetta SEL Hybrid attended the first Maine Fest.....and chances are if we have a Fest it will be attended by My new to me 2014 Glacier Silver BMW Xdrive 328D

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
To all thread viewers:
What are your plans for this year's upcoming Labo(u)r Day weekend?

Me? I'm going through withdrawal....

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
The new hotel near my parents' house was interested, and they have a nice-sized assembly room, but no in-house food service, other than the "complimentary breakfast." Food can, however, be brought in.

I've had challenges tracking down the people who will give me room rates, but I am assuming

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Hey, Old Timer!

Bug Out.....
When did I meet you there? 1997? '98? Seems like last century, and just yesterday...

I'm planning a long trip to burn up vacation days and to get the wanderlust out of my system. A bit over 2k miles in 4 days. Not TDI related, but that's that.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wow - I haven't been to the Bug Out in forever!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The Bump

Mid August bump.

My wife mentioned to me the other day about whether an upcoming Fest this year is being planned as she had such a great time at last year's. I told her that no plans are made and she seemed disappointed.

It's somewhat of a good thing for us as she is having open heart surgery next week to replace a leaking Mitral valve and would no way be in any condition to make a Fest this year if there was one.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tony,

I'm glad your wife had a good time at last year's Fest! She certainly looked like she was enjoying herself throughout the weekend.

I wish her well in her surgery next week and a speedy recovery afterward. :)

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Mid August bump.

It's somewhat of a good thing for us as she is having open heart surgery next week to replace a leaking Mitral valve and would no way be in any condition to make a Fest this year if there was one.

I had my open-heart (and yes, Tomo, they found one) surgery a year ago this week. PM me if you want any advice or help. After a year, I am feeling almost normal again. All the best to her for a smooth and swift recovery.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I had my open-heart (and yes, Tomo, they found one) surgery a year ago this week. PM me if you want any advice or help. After a year, I am feeling almost normal again. All the best to her for a smooth and swift recovery.

Thanks J_S, we may take you up on that once she is home. The Doc did the replacement using the "keyhole" procedure which is thru the rib cage from her side as her osteoporosis is bad enough to take away the traditional sternum breaking to access her heart. She's in ICU tonight on a breathing machine and I will be there tomorrow as they will try to take her off the machine to get her breathing on her own. Tough day around these parts.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Pdx

Let's throw Portland, OR in the running. Cascade German has a huge parking lot! What do you think Aaron? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
For those of you jonesing for a GTG, I'll be posting the annual Detroit Auto Show GTG (aka Winterfest) thread in a few weeks. :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Let's throw Portland, OR in the running. Cascade German has a huge parking lot! What do you think Aaron? :D

Careful there is a fine line for the membership to be aware of regarding vendors and Hosting events. You would be advised to read the rules first. This has been a much discussed problem for every fest planning committee.

We had a great fest in PDX in 2010.

Last edited: