B4 - Bentley says G50, ETKA says G52

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
I have just read many postings on the B4 transmission fluid. The Bentley and almost every poster says G50. Was at the dealer this evening picking up some axle bolts and fluid. Didn't have the G50 part number with me so they looked up the fluid. Showed G52 which updates to G60. I said hmm, that's odd. Got home and looked at my world version of ETKA Revision 7.0 Update 673 and sure enough on screen 300-10 it lists non-synthetic G052-726-A2 which updates to G60-726-A2 for both US and other markets. What I drained sure smelled and looked more like gear oil than ATF. I'm inclined to stick with G50 as I'm a big believer in sythetics, the vast majority of opinion is for G50 and there seem to be plenty of members running it with no failures.

I'm still curious if anyone can provide a reason why there is a discrepency between Bentley and ETKA. There seems to be a dramitic viscosity difference between the two.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'd be more inclined to go with ETKa as that is VWAG. Bentley Publishers is dependent on obtaining information from VW for their publications. There is undoubtedly some delay in information dissemination when it has to come through a third party.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just put the newest fluid in. I change my '91's out every time they come up with a new 'flavor'. Running G060 in it now, no problems.

bembasound81

TDI
Polo 2006 BNV JCZ
Hi guys,

I actually read most of this thread. I either missed it, or the info was not clearly stated. I have a 2006 Polo TDI BNV JCZ transmission. In 2007-2008, the car had a service action (as they call it), and they replaced the gear oil. Part number used: G052512S0. As I found out, this is an internal part number. We can buy it as G052512A2. At around 100k km, I bought gear oil from the dealer - part number G070726A2. At around 200k km - same part number. I didn't pay any attention to the part number. I thought they will sell me what the car uses...
What do you think I should buy now: G052512A2 or G070726A2. Does anyone know for sure the difference between the two?
I'm thinking about this because I have 2 different noises from the gearbox:
1. something like "hhhhh" when under 0C, at first start in the morning. it stops when the clutch is completely disengaged (everything in the gearbox stops). if it's only half, sound is still there. after 5-10 min of driving, the sound goes away. If over 10C, sound is not present.
2. after wellwarmed up gear box, when over 20C in the air, just before the car comes to a complete stop, so 1-2 km/h, it makes a knocking sound but not continuously - it's like the sound can be heard every 45 degrees of the wheel. car can stop and the noise may or may be not present ( depends on where the wheel or driveshaft stops). if the noise is present, it goes away if trying to engage 3rd or 4th gear without pressing the clutch, or if turning the steering wheel !! it also goes away gradually if pressing the clutch. if the car stops and the noise is not present, I can be heard if turning the steering wheel.
if there was a gearbox issue, why is it affected by the turning of the steering wheel?
the car has no abnormal noises when driven: hard accelerating, hard decelerating, turning hard uphill, breaking hard downhill and turning.
someone gave me the idea of checking the tapered coned bronze ring from the flanged output shaft that comes out of the diff, and when doing so, I will put fresh gearoil in. now, what should I use G052512A2 (the service action oil) or the G070726A2 (the oil that the dealer would sell me now according the VIN) ?

Thanks!

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Buy the newest manual trans fluid VW uses. They have superceded the older formulas with their newer version. It's supposedly a lot better (smoother shifting, happier with worn synchros). The book says what was correct when it was written, the dealership has the latest information. Personally I run GM Synchromesh fluid as that's what the builder of my transmission recommended.

Your noises probably aren't fluid related. I doubt there is a chemical solution for your probably mechanical problem. I'm actually led more towards CV joints by your description of the sounds and conditions.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

bembasound81

TDI
Polo 2006 BNV JCZ
Thanks for your quick input. This January I took out the left inner cv joiunt - no play.
After many threads read, I came out with this: the G052 might be thicker than the G070 (and I suppose it might make the gearbox more silent). A VW Tehnical Service Bulletin said that (for Jettas '99+) if humming noise is present while sharp turning at low speeds, G052171 should pe put in. Many users (with or without the noise) said that G052 made their trannys more quieter. Now, there are at least 2 types of G052: ..171 and ..512 (also ..171). If G070726A2 supersedes G052512A2, why would they still make and keep on stock G052512A2?
The noises of my gearbox a I agree - they may not go away if I put in another type of oil. I just want to use the best possible OE oil. It's like with the engine oils. After 5W40 505.01 they came up with the 5W30 507.00 (not sure of the 507, but anyway, a spec that includes also 505.01). I don't agree. Neither with the 30 or with the 507 (if so). In my opinion it's just a marketing issue. The 5W30 has no advange over the 5W40 505.01. The cam shaft wears out at the same milage, fuel consumption is the same, etc. I'm not saying it's bad for the engine, but I don't trust things "good" for more than 1 purpose. If a PD engine, usa 5w40 505.01. If anything else, use whatever the manual says.
I even sent an email to a local VW dealership, asking why they don't recommend the same oil as in the action, and what are the diffrences between G052512A2 and G070726A2. I don't expect any answer. They couldn't care less for anything else than the paycheck, and it comes with no condition of knowing what they are selling or doing :) - trust me - I worked at www.pbn.ro .... no need to say what would be the answer if asking to know which is mineral and which is synthetic, poor points, viscosities, etc

bembasound81

TDI
Polo 2006 BNV JCZ
just put in G052512A2. Obvious smoother shifting (25 Celsius outside) cold and warm. I expect the lever to move like through honey in the winter for the first 10-15 min but I won't mind.
When I took out the filling plug (car leveled), about 100-150 ml of oil bursted out, so that confirmed my "suspicion" that I did overfill the gearbox, which is good :).
When refilling, I tilted the car for about 10-15 degrees, and it took about 1.8 - 1.9L of oil before starting to overflow. Then I put the filling plug back in quickly so I guess I overfilled it also this time.

difference between G052512A2 and G070726A2: G052 seems to have a bit darker colour. At room temp, to the naked eye they seem to have the same viscosity.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Mine seems happy with Penzoil "GM" syncromesh fluid...
I no longer have a VAG transverse car, but I would recommend penzoil / gm syncromesh for any 02a/02j - kept my cars very happy. good shifting when cold .