A4 Jetta engine will not shut off

ibnzbass

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
Hi, I have a 2005 A4 Jetta tdi with 71K, and recently had the ac quit so I replaced the fan control module, and this fixed the ac, but since then the car will not shut off when I turn the switch and remove the key. The only way to stop the engine that I have found is to remove fuse #5, which according to my research on tdiclub, controls the ac, comfort controls, and steering wheel module.

When the key is shut off all of the electronics in the car shut off with the key, but the engine keeps running. I have already replaced the switch, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You might have a faulty FCM, or faulty wiring to it.

Could it be that there is a short that is passing current from pin 9 (fuse 5 from fan and AC selector)to pin 4 (fuse 16 and ignition) of the 14 pin FCM connector? or wiring?

Question. Does the car turn off normally when the AC button is not selected or the cabin fan speed is set to OFF.

Dan

ibnzbass

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
Hey, sorry for the late response, I just moved to Tampa for college and have been very busy. I did not replace the FCM myself, but a friend replaced it with a $50 new FCM that he had found online.

Dan, that sounds like it would make sense for the cause of the short, where as I have noticed that when the car is off, the recirculation light will stay lit even when fuse #5 is removed? I also have seen that the lights on the multifunction steering wheel remain dimly lit with the recirculation light?

The car will intermittently shut off normally when the fuse is still inserted, but I have tried everything when the car will remain running with the only answer being to remove fuse #5.

I will check to see if there is any obvious wire damage close to the FCM connector.

Thank you very much for the help.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Won't shut off

Hey, you have Keith Scarbrough a TDI guru located in Tampa! Why don't you give him a call?

ibnzbass

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
I have talked to Keith once when I was still in Pinellas county, and he was more than willing to help me with the problem. I will probably be going to see him sometime soon for the airbag light that had come on.

I believe that the problem with my car is due to the cheap FCM that I had purchased when I replaced it a few weeks ago. Prior to replacing the FCM the car would turn on and off normally, but after replacing with the $50 new Chinese FCM(Junk) the problems started.

Dieseld was having the same exact problems in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256641

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Could you post the source for your poor quality cheap FCM?

I have heard of plenty of guys getting good Polish ones for $50 off of the internet. They were pleased with the product.

ibnzbass

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
I can not recall the website where I bought the module, but I will ask my buddy that referred me to it.

I did look on my credit card statement though and the payment went to Auto Tech USA in Florida and their phone number: 954-321-6898

I will be giving them a call on Monday to try and get a return on the defective part.