Electronic Immobilizer Big Big Problem

coleslawter

TDI
2001 Jetta
A few weeks back, I had started fiddling with my valet key to switch the casing to a 2000 Passat key. I gave up after accidentally breaking the chip inside the plastic.

So I have now been using one of the flip-keys without any problems. No problems until today, that is. My parents went to move my car but used the valet key (I had previously been using it all the time and didn't tell them that it was broken) to try to start the vehicle. I can only assume that the car gave the usual routine of turning over but stalling as soon as the key was let go of as it had given to me when I realized that the chip I broke really WAS crucial to operation. I don't know how many times they tried but sooner or later they called me to say "the Jetta won't start."

I came home and used my key that had worked just 12 hours before. No dice. The Electronic Immobilizer warning light flashed as soon as the key was turned to "on," regardless of which flip-key I was trying. So I referred to my owner's manual. I have really come to hate this wretched book that has warped to the shape of my glove box and answers no questions. I tried to resync the key to the car, thinking that was the problem. I tried setting the other key up as the master, to no avail. After much swearing, saying "why the F$%^ didn't you call me as soon as it wouldn't start," and blah blah blah... I gave up.

Now here I am: stuck in the after-math of a snowstorm, with no car, no money to get it towed to the dealer, and work at 11:30AM tomorrow. The short of it is this: what should I do? Has anyone else here experienced something along these lines? I had found a similar topc that resulted in success from VAG-COM, but since I lack that, what can be done at this point? Thanks a lot, anyone.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Can you explain further what you did when you "tried to resync the key" and "tried setting the other key up as a master"?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And do you have the 'secret number' tag that came with the car?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have the 'secret number' you can temporarily disable the immbolizer.

Emergency start function, activating without VAG 1551

Using the emergency start function , a vehicle with a faulty anti-theft immobilizer can be started and driven under its own power to a VW dealership.

Requirements

Customer must provide proof of authorized vehicle operation/ownership with vehicle documents and identification

Key tag with covered secret number is available

Mechanically correct key available

- Switch ignition on.

- Twist setting knob for clock (on instrument cluster) clockwise while simultaneously pressing reset button for trip odometer counter.

In the display for the trip odometer counter "0000" appears and the first digit blinks.

Using the reset button for the trip odometer counter, the first digit can now be moved from "0" through "9":

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid first digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "5"

In the trip odometer counter display "5000" appears.

- Twist setting knob for clock.

In the trip odometer counter display "5000" appears and the second digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid second digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "3".

In the trip odometer counter display "5300" appears and the third digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid third digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "4".

In the trip odometer counter display "5340" appears and the fourth digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid fourth digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "9".

In the trip odometer counter display "5349" appears (example).

- When all four digits are entered, simultaneously twist clock setting knob and press reset button for trip odometer counter.

If the valid secret number has been input correctly:

trip odometer display is shown again in trip odometer counter

warning light for anti-theft immobilizer stays on

Notes:

The immobilizer system is now deactivated.

Three attempts to input the secret number correctly are possible immediately. The next three attempts will not be possible for at least 10 minutes if the ignition remains switched on continuously during this time.

After the secret number has been input incorrectly three times, and the ignition switched off, the control module is locked. "FAIL" appears in the trip odometer display counter in the instrument cluster.

The waiting time between each set of attempts doubles each time to a maximum time of 255 minutes.

If during the input procedure no key/button operation occurs for longer than 30 seconds, the emergency start attempt is interrupted.

- Switch ignition off and then start engine.
The emergency start function is not operable again and must be reactivated if:

- 5 minutes have elapsed since the ignition was switched off and the ignition key removed from the ignition lock.

- 45 minutes have elapsed since the ignition was switched off, but an ignition key remained inserted in the ignition lock.

- Upon beginning an adaptation function with VAG 1551.

coleslawter

TDI
2001 Jetta
By "resyncing" the key, I just followed the directions in the manual for "resetting the remote control." My mom read me the directions and I thought it would work until I looked at the book and saw that it really didn't fit the problem I was having.

Should I try that process? Are there any severe repercussions with VW dealerships? Also, is there any explanation for how this happened?

EDIT: I decided to go give it a shot. I assume I did it wrong; my odometer reset button seems to stick as does the clock reset. Oh. And my glow plug light was flashing by the time I got out of the car. I've never seen that before.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Without a VAG-COM to retrieve the info about what the ECM and cluster are seeing, any explanation at this point would be speculation.

There shouldn't be any repercussions. Take note of the time delays that occur if you don't do it right.

coleslawter

TDI
2001 Jetta
I just can't get the trip odometer to blink. I've turned the clock reset clockwise and counter-c while holding the reset and nothing happens.

I need to kill my family.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
MOGolf said:
If you have the 'secret number' you can temporarily disable the immbolizer.

Emergency start function, activating without VAG 1551

Using the emergency start function , a vehicle with a faulty anti-theft immobilizer can be started and driven under its own power to a VW dealership.

Requirements

Customer must provide proof of authorized vehicle operation/ownership with vehicle documents and identification

Key tag with covered secret number is available

Mechanically correct key available

- Switch ignition on.

- Twist setting knob for clock (on instrument cluster) clockwise while simultaneously pressing reset button for trip odometer counter.

In the display for the trip odometer counter "0000" appears and the first digit blinks.

Using the reset button for the trip odometer counter, the first digit can now be moved from "0" through "9":

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid first digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "5"

In the trip odometer counter display "5000" appears.

In the trip odometer counter display "5000" appears and the second digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid second digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "3".

In the trip odometer counter display "5300" appears and the third digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid third digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "4".

In the trip odometer counter display "5340" appears and the fourth digit blinks.

- Press reset button for trip odometer counter until valid fourth digit of secret number is displayed, e.g. "9".

In the trip odometer counter display "5349" appears (example).

- When all four digits are entered, simultaneously twist clock setting knob and press reset button for trip odometer counter.

If the valid secret number has been input correctly:

trip odometer display is shown again in trip odometer counter

warning light for anti-theft immobilizer stays on

Notes:

The immobilizer system is now deactivated.

Three attempts to input the secret number correctly are possible immediately. The next three attempts will not be possible for at least 10 minutes if the ignition remains switched on continuously during this time.

After the secret number has been input incorrectly three times, and the ignition switched off, the control module is locked. "FAIL" appears in the trip odometer display counter in the instrument cluster.

The waiting time between each set of attempts doubles each time to a maximum time of 255 minutes.

If during the input procedure no key/button operation occurs for longer than 30 seconds, the emergency start attempt is interrupted.

- Switch ignition off and then start engine.
The emergency start function is not operable again and must be reactivated if:

- 5 minutes have elapsed since the ignition was switched off and the ignition key removed from the ignition lock.

- 45 minutes have elapsed since the ignition was switched off, but an ignition key remained inserted in the ignition lock.

- Upon beginning an adaptation function with VAG 1551.
I'm having IMMO issues with my 02 Jetta after not driving it for most of the winter I found a 4 digit number on a sticker in my trunk since I didn't get a tag when i bought the car used. Not even sure if this is the SKC but I was going to try it using this proceedure. My cluster does nothing when I simultaneously trurn the clock knob and push the odo trip reset with either of the keys switched on. Anything else I can try before I have to tow it in for a key reread at the Stealership?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They have a bad habit of scribbling the radio code on that sticker.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to extract the radio code from the salesman, "it was like pulling teeth" but I was clueless about SKC codes when I bought the car used. The radio code in an 02 jetta resets itself as long as the radio has not been removed as stated in the manual. I found this to be true as I already tried diconnecting the Battery in an attempt to get some type of a reset of the IMMO3.
:rolleyes: At least I get to listen to the radio while waiting for the tow truck:rolleyes:

Last edited:

decan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls dk.blue
MoGolf
Thank you for your description in Post #5. We all may be having an immobilizer issue at one time or another and it's great to refer to the possible solutions given by you. I for one find it important enough to have copied it as a reference in one of my TDI folders.
Interesting what you discover 'underneath something !!' Clem

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the procedure that MoGolf has for the Immo is probably worthy of the How To's page so it would be right on top and easy to get to in a Immobilizer search.

I was unable to get my odo to flash 4 digits but who knows how many others could avoid the Tow Hook by using this procedure.
Just my 2 cents

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Mcgink said:
I think the procedure that MoGolf has for the Immo is probably worthy of the How To's page so it would be right on top and easy to get to in a Immobilizer search.

I was unable to get my odo to flash 4 digits but who knows how many others could avoid the Tow Hook by using this procedure.
Just my 2 cents
Don't quite know how I avoided the tow hook with my Immobilizer issue but this is the sequence that seemed to fix it :confused:

First,
This is what happened
My car was only driven once since last November.
The Battery had discharged.
I charged the Battery.
When I started the car it would shut down within a couple seconds and the Immo light was flashing.
After approx 15 seconds,the Glowplug light would flash together with the Immo light.
Second,
I came to the forums and did some reading since my owners Manual was useless about the Immobilizer system. It seems that Immobilizer 3 drops the key code if the car isn't driven regularly for 3-4 months. I discovered that I need an SKC code to unput into the cluster via Mogolf's info to get it to the dealer for a key reread. I discovered a sticker in my trunk w/ 4 digits which was not my radio-code. I'm not sure if this is an SKC code or not but figure I'll try it.
Third,
I was trying to use the MoGolf procedure and was unable to get my trip odo to flash four zeros. I tried as many variations of it as I could think of.
At the time my Immo light was still flashing along with the Glow plug light.
This is what got the Immobilzer light to go off.
I left the ignition key switched on
I walked away from it for prob about an hour. There was a battery charger attatched and the E brake was set (DRL's off) and the tranny was in Park.
When I came back, the Immo light was off. I shut the key off, and then the car started right up and ran like the champ I remembered. I'm not sure if there's a time frame that the cluster looks for the correct key when it's switched on or what. Anyway, I wanted to share my experience with members in case anyone else has had the same problem.
Epilog,
If anyone has any input as to what fixed it or if leaving the key switched on for a certain time period is the way to go, let all members know.
My next step would'hve likely been to tow/trailer it to the stealership for a key reread.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mcgink, you've got an '02 so you've probably got an Immob. III, unlike the original poster. The procedure you used is similar to what is needed to be done if key programming is done incorrectly too many times. There is a timeout feature for that and, as you found, is probably invoked for an "erroneous" blocking by the immobilizer. Thank you for adding it to our pool of knowledge.

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a Jetta 2003 with an immobilizer 3, and I want somebody to hack it before the car is fully depreciated. I don't want to pay VW hundreds of dollars to allow me to start my own car.

golfcart

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Immobilizer Gone Crazy:

Reference: Mcgink post

Under the same conditions, low battery, I incountered the same problem, so I tryed this procedure. It Works Great!! Actual time was between 10 to 15 minutes.

Last edited:

abranz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB & Jetta
I had a similar experience with my 2000 Jetta. It finally cost me $1200 for a new instrument cluster, keys, and labor to start my own car. As much as I loved the car, I sold it and vowed never to buy a vehicle which the dealership is over 100 miles away.
Anthony

jurgen01

TDI
passat, 2005, grey
My 2005 came with a tag embeded with a single wire I-Button. I assume that it is readable by some adapter and should contain the SKC.
Is that correct?

mkc

TDI
Golf IV
Immobilizer III Reset

Thanks so much McGink. Your post was a real boon to me.

No idea why it immob'ed on me, other than I had the battery disconnected while doing the big maintenance job for four days.

Just leave the "ignition" turned on for about 10-15 minutes and the flashing stops. Turn off. Turn on. Car starts right up.

-MKC
Golf TDI 2002
Second Timing Belt, New shocks, New Alt., water pump, idlers,pulleys etc.
Orig. Battery, Race pipe, Delvac 1 (camshaft still looks like new.)
160,000 Trouble Free miles (other than the damn alternator pulley falling off
and the window lift clips breaking, but fixed under secret warranty.)

NELLY64

TDI
110 GT
I had an immo problem which was solved using the key in, ignition on method.Took about ten mins for the immo light to switch off.The glow plug light was flashing by this point but my car started first time. :D
MK 4 Golf 110 GT TDI

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
There a good many people at GTG that have the software to get the code from the cluster I would highly recommend people asking around for the number before trouble hits you.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Thought I'd bring this one back up, as I had a little row with my immobilizer last week.

I had been having intermittent problems with the immobilizer not allowing a start... only in the morning when cold. Cycle the key a couple times, it starts, I move on. I thought it was my key as it was getting old, coming apart from the remote, and just basically in bad shape.

I ordred a couple of keys, and went out to match them to the car. Could NOT get the keys to match to the car at all. Checked cluster fault codes:

01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2)
35-00 - -
01176 - Key
65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent
01176 - Key
07-00 - Signal too Low
01179 - Incorrect Key Programming
35-00 - -

Hmmm.... removed cluster, tested across pins 2 and 17 on the green connector. 30ohms. Put everything back together. Cleared Fault Codes. Matched keys. Go to start the car.... blocked again!

Hmmm.... remove cluster, test pins 2 and 17.... No connection! Must be a bad pickup coil after all. take steering wheel and column trim off. Study little connector that plugs into the pickup coil..... not fully seated. Push connector fully into socket. Measure pins 2 and 17. 20 ohms.

That little connector must have just worked its way loose over time.... it's not a very robust locking system that keeps it in place. Glad it was a "free" fix instead of another part to by for the car.

Just another thing to check when you're having immobilizer problems!

moondawg

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Only the early cars 99.5-2001 and a few 02s IIRC had the 4 digit code in the car when it was sold and dealers can no longer give you the code. Anyone reading this should at a GTG find someone with the proper software and cable and ask them to get the code for you. Keep it in a safe place as you will never know when you will need it. It also will allow you to program new keys saving big bucks over having a dealer do it.

mam19582

TDI
2002 Jetta
Got immobilizer icon off and car started

All the trial and error fixes and the final one that worked was to leave the key on with the battery charger hooked up (so the battery didn't die so quickly with the headlights on) and came back about 20 minutes later and it was off. Car started up and hopefully will when my son needs it tomorrow. All from sitting for over a month, maybe the battery being low. Thanks to this forum once again. Saved me some TNT cause I felt like blowing the thing up. Next, premium timing belt kit w/waterpump), (I think the water pump is leaking)
2002 jetta tdi 127000 miles constantly needing something !!!

findingatdi

TDI
none
My 2002 golf tdi recently froze up after I used an unprogramed key to try to start it that I got with the car. The Electronic immobilizer light was flashing and the car would not start - even with the programed key. I called the vw dealer to ask them what to do they said I would have to bring it in. I was saved from the ordeal by seeing this thread and trying the trick of putting the key in the ignition turning it to the on position and leaving it for 20 minutes whew thank you.

RJ40

TDI
05 Jetta TDI std
I've been searching this thread to find an answer for my Immobilizer / no start issue also. Not knowing to guard against this I let the batery out of my 02 Jetta for a couple mo. for a repair. Naturally it wouldn't start, IMO llight on and flashing. I tried the key on w/ charger for about 1 1/2 hr.
no luck.
Dealership said they couldn't pull the SKC for anyone anymore ? But they did suggest disconnecting the battery, both cables and connect them together for a half hour or more. I did for over an hour and it worked !
Hope this might help someone else. The idea is it discharges "stuff".
Rick

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
So has no one thought about getting a new switch blade top off ebay. swapping your blade to the new head, mating it to your remote, and gluing the immobilized key top inside the steering column cover so that no any key is immobilized?

this is who you bypass immo for remote start applications ... seems like it would save tons of headaches down the line. Going to be modding the 06 Jetta for this if I keep it. But my rule of thumb is don't buy immo cars!

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
Where is the secret number?

So for my Brazilian '01 Golf the previous owner wrote "key #" and then a 5 digit number.
Is this the IMO "secret number" or no? Numbers I have are:

• key # (5 digits)
  • Dlr stock #, (7 digits)
  • VID #, (17 digits)
  • radio #, (4 digits)

.....if 'key number is not it ***[edit: I have a key tag but there is no sign of a covered number]*** then besides VAG com where might I find it the secret #?

Last edited: