TB Change Rapidly Approaching...

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
Hello to all fellow TDI folks in Ohio and Michigan...

Was wondering if anyone near the Toledo, OH area has done a TB change on a TDI. I am about 7600 miles away from the magic 80K mark on my 02 Jetta TDI automatic. I'm not afraid to do the change but would appreciate a watchfull eye from someone experienced in TB changes on the TDI.

I do not have the necessary "special tools" or VAG-COM at this time but will have them by the time I am ready to make the change...

Look forward to your comments...

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
Hey w8: I've done a grand total of one TB (all by myself). I just followed the detailed instructions from the FAQs. I have all the tools and VAG-COM. I'm in Monroe, so I might be able to help you.

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
mwalters...

Thanks for the reply... Sounds great... I'm probably about three to four months away from the TB change so at least it'll be warm. I have the Bentley manual and have done several TB changes on my old 85 turbo diesel Jetta so I am familiar with the procedure to some extent. Will most likely change the water pump at the same time. I'll most likely order the kit from dieselgeeks and have it ready for when the time comes along...

Thanks again for the offer...

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a garage we can work in, plus compressor and air tools. Definately go with the Dieselgeek deluxe kit. You don't want to mess with anything on that side of the engine for another 100k miles (well, 80k since you have an automatic). Basically, all you need to bring is your car, the parts, and beer!

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
How big a garage do you have?

I'm in Chelsea right up the road from the biodiesel farm. And I'm in that 80-to-100K neighborhood where doing the belt on my '03 Jetta Variant would be a good idea.

I brew beer, so that part would be easy! I've got any tool that keeps pre-1967 VWs running, but none of the "special tools" for the TB change.

Do you guys have a date in mind? And can I fit in?

JohnD

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Oooh! Is there a GTG a-brewin'? You can also put out a request on Geoffs' MiTDI email list and the TDI cavalry will ride to the rescue.
I'd be up for helping out on TB replacement. Have tools and done a few too.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Oooh! Is there a GTG a-brewin'? Have tools and done a few too.

You kind sir have undone more belly pans than anyone has the right to claim!!!

I'm proof.....If you host it.....they will come!!!

John_Hannigan

TDI
none
Any guesses as to an intermittent starting problem? My A4 2002 TDI usually starts fine. Sometimes, after a short city trip (and once after an hour on the interstate) it won't fire up for 2-4 minutes. Not cold weather. Bought it used with 43K miles. Dealer said they put an alternator on it recently. No maint. records. From Boilermaker country,
John

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
How big a garage do you have?

I'm in Chelsea right up the road from the biodiesel farm. And I'm in that 80-to-100K neighborhood where doing the belt on my '03 Jetta Variant would be a good idea.

I brew beer, so that part would be easy! I've got any tool that keeps pre-1967 VWs running, but none of the "special tools" for the TB change.

Do you guys have a date in mind? And can I fit in?

JohnD
I have a large, two-car garage, and my driveway (stone) is quite large. We don't have a date in mind yet - w8aii said he is still a few months away, so no need to schedule anything just yet. I'm up for a GTG anytime though!

BTW: Homebrew sounds great!

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
mwalters...

I'm about 3K away from the 80K mile mark on the TDI... What's your timing looking like in the next couple of months?

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
mwalters...

I'm about 3K away from the 80K mile mark on the TDI... What's your timing looking like in the next couple of months?
If you wanted to do it this weekend, there's a GTG at Jettah's in Fowlerville. See this thread.
I'll be doing my clutch there, but there's tons of guys there with TB experience - great time even if you don't do any work! If this Saturday is no good, I'm open just about any time, except I will be in Florida 6/18-6/25.

Mike

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
Hi Mike...

As much as I would like to do it this weekend at the GTG, family activities will keep me away... No problem on your week away as I'll be away the week before your gone... The same week your gone, I'll be playing catch up here at work... Sounds like somewhere around the second week of July might be the ticket... I'll keep you posted...

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Mike:
I hope to be doing my TB at JATaah's this Saturday. Will try to bring up at least a few bottles that are left of the homebrew-- to wash down 20 kinds of chili!
See ya there.
--John Deikis
Chelsea, MI

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
mwalters...

Well, the Jetta passed the 80K mark this past weekend. I just did the oil change/filter and other general stuff required. I'm going to order the TB kit from dieselgeek within the next week or so. Take a look at your schedule and let me know when it's convenient for you... Oh, don't forget to tell me what kind of beer you like too

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to let everyone know that we did Al's (w8aii) T-belt last Saturday, 10/1. No real problems, except that engine mount that's not supposed to come out unless you remove the engine - fell out.
Spent about a half hour trying to snake it back in.
Started right up on the first try - actually it tried to start when we were bumping the starter. Got the injection timing just perfect, between the nominal and upper end of advanced (right where I like it). I even did the EGR adaption (although his EGR looked pretty good for 85k miles). Must be that Biodiesel he's running!

Anyway, it's nice to be able to help out a fellow Army veteran.