HPFP Complete fail - Warranty but Will it fail again?

brumey

TDI
2013Jetta AJ
Hello:
I recently purchased a used 2013 (VW Fixed) CPO VW Jetta TDI replacing our 2003. Its been 3 months and we have a problem. Flashing Glow plug light, tow to dealer, diagnosed with catastrophic fuel system failure. Dealer told me its covered under the CPO warranty and from what I read, its a $6-11K fix. I have a few questions from folk who have been through this. I am trying to understand the risks going forward as I was also looking to get a Golf TDI in the next few months.

1) Has anyone had this repair (full fuel system) and had another pump failure? I ask because the repair would be about the value of the car and it leaves us with a ticking time bomb.

2) Does anyone have a complete parts list so I can be sure they are changing everything?

3) Did the dealer replace the fuel tank or just empty and flush?

4) As the dealer did the diagnosis and said the repair is fully covered, is there any fuel test by VW to validate its all diesel? I have read threads that they do but my dealer gave confirmation within 2 hours of looking at the car.

5) I read that the 2012 owners got a letter extending the warranty to $120k because of the fuel pump issues. Does anyone know if they extended to the 2013?

I love the TDI power and fuel economy and usually keep for 300K. I just can't afford to pay $6K-10k for repairs when out of the CPO warranty.

Thanks,

Kevin.

brumey

TDI
2013Jetta AJ
Thanks for the warranty document. Looks like its for Canada. I am in the US. I'll look for that equivalent tonight unless someone has it.

Seansf49

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Oops, my bad. If you search for tdi warranty I'm pretty sure you can plug your VIN into VW's website to get your warranty info.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

brumey

TDI
2013Jetta AJ
An update from the dealer that I would like the you guys to see and comment on.

1) They did provide a loaner car when I pointed out the warranty stipulaterd that a emmisions related repair taking more than three hours gets a loaner.
2) I asked the service advisor if she had seen any TDI vehicles come back for a second repair after the fuel system was replaced. She said she has personal knowledge of 5 HPFP blowups in 2 months. Only one retunred but the customer was using BioDiesel not regular fuel.

The advisor went on to say that during the VW fix, a fuel line was changed to the HPFP and its causing the failures due to not enough lubicity.

I then asked about addatived like DieselKleen and stanadine. She warned against using them as the dilution of the fuelmay also hurt the pump.

So, I am really wondering if the fuel flow to the pump was changed causing the HPFP to disintergrate. Has anyone heard this?

As for addatives, I've used Stanadine in my F350 truck for a while and switched to DieselKleen. I use it with every fill in both our 300K Jetta TDI and my truck. I also used it in the new 2013 that is at the dealer with a blown pump. Should I stop using such addatives?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Using fuel additives does not dilute your fuel nor hurt your HPFP, that advisor is a nincompoop.

I've used many for over a million miles in my driving history and never had a problem because of them. Some VW dealers even sell the Stanadyne stuff, so definitely not a problem there.
As for the "updated" fuel line causing failures, if that were true then just about every other fixed TDI would be blowing up HPFPs and I haven't heard of that being the case.

Let them fix it, they'll warranty it for 12k miles or 1 year, the rest of the engine, exhaust and fuel system is still covered under the extended emissions warranty package so you can just motor on.
Good luck.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd stay away from any additives while it's still under warranty. The dealerships use a very crude fuel testing device to deny coverage. It's possible the additives could cause the testing device to indicate fuel contamination.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Only one retunred but the customer was using BioDiesel not regular fuel.
The advisor went on to say that during the VW fix, a fuel line was changed to the HPFP and its causing the failures due to not enough lubicity.
She is full of it! Biodiesel does not cause HPFP destruction if anything just the opposite....and since when does a fuel line effect lubricity?

brumey

TDI
2013Jetta AJ
andreigbs - Thanks for the reply. My understanding and perhapes hope is that if the HPFP self-destructs again its again covered under the Emisions warranty. I get the 12K at the dealer but for us, that is 8 months. As the emissions warranty covers the whole fules system, if it goes again, I guess its back to the dealer. Anyone feel free to correct my understanding of the warranty.

turbobrick240 - You have a point. I will say that we routinly use the DieselKleen product at every fill. I may actually be a bit heavy handed in the dosage and probably need to measure and only put in the recommended just in case. This is assuming they tested the fuel prior to agreeing to the warranty coverage. Therefore, maybe the addative I use is okay????

Michael B - I did not understand the fuel line issue either. I'd like to know if the fix did anything to the fuel system that could possibly destroy the pump.

I will call a few dealers next week to ask if they are seeing many return visits under warranty for the same pump issue.

Thanks all......

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A lot of times dealer service advisers are clueless. Part of that is because many customers are clueless and wouldn't understand a technical answer to a question as well. However, my hat is off to those dealer folks that are competent and knowledgeable. They are out there.

In any industry, it only takes a few bad apples to make an industry look bad and the trick is to identify those bad apples and avoid them.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's quite possible that the DieselKleen wouldn't cause a false positive test result for contamination. But if you were using it heavily leading up to the failure...... well, maybe it's not such a huge help in regards to pump failures.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Just curious is the 2015 Jetta affected by this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brumey

TDI
2013Jetta AJ
Just got my wife's Jetta back. Looking at the parts list and took a quick "look-see" under the hood. I think I read somewhere that if the replacement pump has an "X" character as the last digit on the part number, its refurbished. So, the big questions now for a very paranoid owner are:

1) Should VW fit NEW pumps and not refurbished?
2) Repeat question from original post. Has anyone had the repair and had the pump fail again?

Thanks,
Kevin.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Warranty A - emissions warranty. You have X months or Y miles remaining, whichever comes first.
Warranty B - replaced part warranty. You have 1yr or 12k miles, whichever comes first.

Your replaced part is covered for the duration of either Warranty A or B, whichever is LONGER.
If my emissions warranty is up in 2 months, but my covered part was replaced 4months ago, that individual part (and associated labor) is covered for another 8months.

As for your last question about a refurbished HPFP....? I would think not, but I’m curious as well.