Mazda CX5 Diesel coming this fall

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
About 3-4 years ago HONDA was coming out with a Diesel.
Where did it go???

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I remember seeing the Mazda 6 diesel at the 2012 or 2013 autoshow... I also saw the Mercedes c300 wagon bluetec at the autoshow last year... Until these cars pop up on dealer lots it's all talk

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
A friend ordered his CX-5 diesel, delivery end of August. BUT, I agree you never know they may pull the plug at the last minute. As Dodge did with my order of RAM Eco Diesel earlier this year.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hyundai sells diesel SUVs in other countries. Why not here?
Go to Europe and you see more diesels than anything else.

North Americans still remember those s h i t b o x e s GM sold back in the 1970's where they converted regular engine blocks made for gasoline into diesel engines.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Go to Europe and you see more diesels than anything else.

North Americans still remember those s h i t b o x e s GM sold back in the 1970's where they converted regular engine blocks made for gasoline into diesel engines.
No they don't. Those driver are seniours now and have little influence on the current market.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mazda 2 diesel was announced and even advertised about 10 years ago and it never made it to these shores. So I'm not beleiving anything until I see a car sold by a dealer anymore.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That statement is a bit misleading.

First, most any consumer that is looking at cars today has no idea those Oldsmobile diesels even existed... heck, some folks may not even realize Oldsmobile existed, let alone had the single best selling model here in the country in the late '70s.

Second, while it is true to some extent that the basic design of that Olds diesel was lifted from their gasoline V8s (and they also made a V6 version, which was a chopped down V8 like many other domestic V6s), it was quite different in the key areas. Also, with the exception of the V10 TDI, every VAG diesel sold here since 1977 was also based on a design shared with their gasoline engine. You take an ALH apart down to its bare block, and it looks exactly like an AEG block. They even use the same main bearings. Another very popular diesel that was also based on a gasoline engine? Navistar's 6.9L, 7.3L, and 7.3L Powerstroke engines. Those were based on IH's old 304/345/390 gas V8s, and I am pretty sure nobody has much complaints on the durability of those diesels. Also, around that same time Mercedes-Benz was selling some really tough, reliable, durable, and frugal diesels here. These models are arguably among the best ever, near legendary, of the compression ignition road going passenger cars. So if all you remember of 1970s + diesel is GM, too bad, there were others that were very good. My 1979 Rabbit was an excellent little machine.

FWIW, EVERYONE sells diesels in other markets. And if they don't make one, they put someone else's diesel engine under the hood of their car. For political and consumer reasons, we have not had much choice of them here, and thanks to VAG's recent chicanery, likely will have fewer in the near future.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
That statement is a bit misleading.

First, most any consumer that is looking at cars today has no idea those Oldsmobile diesels even existed... heck, some folks may not even realize Oldsmobile existed, let alone had the single best selling model here in the country in the late '70s.

Second, while it is true to some extent that the basic design of that Olds diesel was lifted from their gasoline V8s (and they also made a V6 version, which was a chopped down V8 like many other domestic V6s), it was quite different in the key areas. Also, with the exception of the V10 TDI, every VAG diesel sold here since 1977 was also based on a design shared with their gasoline engine. You take an ALH apart down to its bare block, and it looks exactly like an AEG block. They even use the same main bearings. Another very popular diesel that was also based on a gasoline engine? Navistar's 6.9L, 7.3L, and 7.3L Powerstroke engines. Those were based on IH's old 304/345/390 gas V8s, and I am pretty sure nobody has much complaints on the durability of those diesels. Also, around that same time Mercedes-Benz was selling some really tough, reliable, durable, and frugal diesels here. These models are arguably among the best ever, near legendary, of the compression ignition road going passenger cars. So if all you remember of 1970s + diesel is GM, too bad, there were others that were very good. My 1979 Rabbit was an excellent little machine.

FWIW, EVERYONE sells diesels in other markets. And if they don't make one, they put someone else's diesel engine under the hood of their car. For political and consumer reasons, we have not had much choice of them here, and thanks to VAG's recent chicanery, likely will have fewer in the near future.
Well, FWIW, even in Europe we might start to see a decline in diesel sells since dieselgate happened... Especially now that major western European cities are trying to limit/ban diesels from the city centers by a certain year. Here's an article I found the other day, it relates only to the UK but interesting read none the less

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/dieselgate-is-finally-causing-a-huge-drop-in-diesel-car-sales/

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I read somewhere that EU has already passed a bill of completely banning internal combustion engine whether diesel or petrol/gasoline, at least for passenger cars by 2030. Self driving electric machines for mass transportation.... I hope it doesn't happen in my life time :)

oilhammer

TDI
I think internal combustion engines may be the least of Europe's problems right now, sadly. :(

Shame because at some point before I die I really wanted to spend some time over there.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
"Wants to" is very far from "will".

I have little doubt that EVs will have a large share of the market by 2030, but they won't be across-the-board.
I agree, time will only tell what the future of IC engines will be

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In addition to my regular driving, I drive 2,950 miles (4,700km) every fall to Mexico and return in the spring. Not a hope in blazes I'd try to do that in an EV. It would take a month one way. Either I give out or the Passat will, but that's what I'll be driving.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree, time will only tell what the future of IC engines will be
Sames future as the steam engine faced when the IC engine arrived. We are at the begining of an era like that and just as then, there are many that think the IC will be here for a long time.

oilhammer

TDI
Sames future as the steam engine faced when the IC engine arrived. We are at the begining of an era like that and just as then, there are many that think the IC will be here for a long time.
Except steam is still very much in use today. Maybe not in cars, but in power generation it is fairly common.

Horses are still around, too. And lots of "outdated" technology is still in use all over the world. Why? Because it works, it's cheap, and it's reliable.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Power generation uses steam turbines and not steam piston engines. The piston version is more or less a novelty. Horses are used in third world countries not becauee they work but because they have no money for machinery. The IC engine will be around but it will become a novelty. All is needed is a jump in battery technology and the end will be here for them.

oilhammer

TDI
Steam locomotives are still very much in use in many parts of Africa even today.

They are still in use in Cuba, Indonesia, and China was still using them (heck, they were still building them) up until just a few years ago.

Poland still has a handful of them in use too.

No, these are not major networks of trains necessarily, but in this country we've sadly moved away from major train networks too, and replaced it with hordes of giant semi trucks all over the Interstates... not sure that is a good thing. :rolleyes:

ICE vehicles burning gasoline and diesel will still be in widespread use in much of the world for a long time to come. Even if the rate of increase slows down (or stops) and just stays at the status it is now and every new vehicle sold is electric, that will STILL mean we'll be seeing them for 50+ years yet.

They may change and morph somewhat, but clearly there has been no desire to even embrace the advancements we already had 20 years ago when the Prius first came out. Back then, Toyota stated that they'd have a hybrid version of every car, truck, and van they make within 10 years, and that within 20 years, EVERY car, truck, and van they make will be a hybrid. It will become standard. Well, guess what?

That has not happened. Not even close. Toyota's own non-hybrid sales outpace their hybrids by a HUGE margin, despite adding a few more hybrid models to their lineup... all of which are an "optional" version of an existing car save for the Prius models and those stillborn sales Lexus models like the HS.

But you can go to a Toyota dealer and buy a giant V8 powered pickup truck! :p

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
On a totally different vein .... if you get a Mazda, get good rustproofing. I have seen rot on their cars in the last few years, that rivals mid 1970 fords! 2009 5, never accidented, and both rear 1/4 panels rotted right thru! And that was last year. So spend a litttle money on a good undercoating if you plan to keep it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steam locomotives are still very much in use in many parts of Africa even today.

They are still in use in Cuba, Indonesia, and China was still using them (heck, they were still building them) up until just a few years ago.
Well 2 years ago I was in Europe and to me it looked like they were completely converted to electric locomotives.

A year I go I was in China and from what I saw they were also all electric.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
On a totally different vein .... if you get a Mazda, get good rustproofing. I have seen rot on their cars in the last few years, that rivals mid 1970 fords! 2009 5, never accidented, and both rear 1/4 panels rotted right thru! And that was last year. So spend a litttle money on a good undercoating if you plan to keep it.
the exact reason why I will NOT buy a Mazda - the rust issue !!!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
So far all 2010 Mazda's and up that I've seen on the road haven't shown a sign of rust... So I don't know if the rust issue is as prominent anymore...

Tabou

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Highline - 6MT
From google searches, it appears the rust issue is not as bad. Wify has a 2013 Speed3 and so far no problems. To the original subject, I'm also keeping an eye at the CX-5 diesel as an option. (others are Chev Equinox Diesel, gas GSW, subbie outback). Sadly, all of these choices are a downgrade to my current GSW. I will lose some sort of a feature, most notably, the manual. *sigh*