FS: Nice 96 Passat B4V

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
FS: Nice 96 Passat B4V, Eugene, Oregon Area

B4V is sold. 3/9/18

I am regrettably selling my 96 B4V. After driving a stick-shift for more than a decade, my wife finally gets an automatic transmission SUV, which will be able to take the place of our wagon, when it comes to hauling what needs to be hauled.
I'll put the information into the Spaghetti Western "Good, Bad and Ugly" format. Here 'tis...
The Good
* Custom-built engine by Hans Geittmann (previous owner) has 150% of stock VW engine horsepower, with typical B4 MPG
* New timing belt, etc., done at 198,617 miles by oldpoopie (Justin), up in Portland. Current mileage at 216,272 miles.
* Carefully driven between 2000 and 3000 rpm, using Mobil One fully-synthetic oil.
* Body, tires, brakes and clutch are good
* Rebuilt calipers, (one brand new)
* Custom grill and wheels but stock wheels and parts still available
* DieselGeek Short Shifter
* Stainless Steel Brake Lines
* Custom carpeted mats along with the original set of stock VW mats
* Temp and Boost gauges
* It's the largest wagon Volkswagen ever made, with one of the best engines
The Bad
* You turn the key twice in the driver's door to open it. (Never fixed that.)
* The stereo is original equipment and could be replaced
* The fuel gauge shows three gallons left when you actually need to refill
The Ugly
* The paint is beautiful from a distance, but up close, the hood has some road-grit wear
* The Chrome Wheels are also beautiful from a distance, but chrome shows its age
* The leather seats are old and could be replaced
* The top of the rear bumper is scratched from my utility trailer tongue, when I backed into place

The price is $4900 for tdiclub members. I'd love to see someone appreciate it. Email me @ tdijim@hotmail.com and I will send a picture album. (If someone will send me a PM and tell me how to add them to my ad, I would be very grateful.) They are available now in my Craigslist Eugene, auto/trucks ad.

Last edited:

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
Hans Geittmann

Hans Geittmann was a tdiclub legend. Good luck with the sale
It was a pleasure doing business with him. I called before I flew back to Colorado to get it and asked him, "Is it in shape to drive to Oregon right now? He said, "Absolutely," and it was totally solid the entire trip. That's how I've kept it...ready to drive across the country right now.
Thanks for the good luck.
Jim

HeyZeusBC

TDI
"Hope" 2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd & "Triumph" 2003 Jetta TDI 5spd Wagon
from one Jim with a white tdi wagon to another, thats a great looking one youve got here. glws

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
"The Bad"

I forgot one for "The Bad." Hans never could get Cruise Control to communicate with his ECU after he did his build. His thread was Cruise Control troubleshooter, from March 15, 2009. He thought it was the newer, modern ECU that was the problem, or perhaps turning off the rocketchip program might fix it, but I didn't want to lose the power, so I just drove it without CC.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I forgot one for "The Bad." Hans never could get Cruise Control to communicate with his ECU after he did his build. His thread was Cruise Control troubleshooter, from March 15, 2009. He thought it was the newer, modern ECU that was the problem, or perhaps turning off the rocketchip program might fix it, but I didn't want to lose the power, so I just drove it without CC.
Its not the tune, cruise is easy to diagnose. It can be toggled off and on with vagcom - ie. 11463 login to enable. There should be a "G" in the header in vagcom screen. Cruise enable assignment lives in eeprom, not flash.

You can also diagnose switches and pedals with field 006 in measuring blocks.

It can be USA or Euro (two flavors) firmware. I specialize in fixing cruise for many projects. VW euro AFN uses 12v High signal on clutch and brake, while audi AFN ground low signal to make switches.

Many times it a broke ribbon 12v lead on outer radius - broken copper trace. Many plastic heat cycles in the car. plastic and copper expand and contract a bit different and traces break over time. Sometimes the auto conversions to 5spd have missing wire from clutch switch. (ie B4 gas conversions to tdi).

Jeff ;-))

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
Its not the tune, cruise is easy to diagnose. It can be toggled off and on with vagcom - ie. 11463 login to enable. There should be a "G" in the header in vagcom screen. Cruise enable assignment lives in eeprom, not flash.

You can also diagnose switches and pedals with field 006 in measuring blocks.

It can be USA or Euro (two flavors) firmware. I specialize in fixing cruise for many projects. VW euro AFN uses 12v High signal on clutch and brake, while audi AFN ground low signal to make switches.

Many times it a broke ribbon 12v lead on outer radius - broken copper trace. Many plastic heat cycles in the car. plastic and copper expand and contract a bit different and traces break over time. Sometimes the auto conversions to 5spd have missing wire from clutch switch. (ie B4 gas conversions to tdi).

Jeff ;-))
That sounds great, Jeff. I'll pass this on to the buyer and they can figure it. Hans used a Euro EPU, I believe and he said I could try a different EPU. I think you're right on this.

gq1

TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 97 F250 7.3
Dang, I wish I had the cash on hand for this. Hopefully it will still be available when I do.

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
B4v is sold...

Thank you, everyone, for all the interest in this car that has been mine for nine years. It was everything it should have been; powerful, reliable and economical. Anytime it needed something done, I knew what to do or who to ask online. So, my gratitude to everyone who contributes and makes this an outstanding club. It felt kind of interesting, watching it drive away, you know?