I just installed the Malone 2.0 tune - Holy Crap

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Prior to the VW TDI emission problems I had a Malone 1.5 tune on my JSW and loved it. But about a year ago (just prior to the emission scandal) I was forced to take my JSW to the dealer for some kind of VW modification and lost my tune. Before I could get my tune back on the emission problem occurred so I just waited patiently for the VW "fix" before putting a tune back on my vehicle. I've been working with Malone to get my tune reinstalled (I purchased a Flashzilla because the nearest Malone dealer is 3 hours from me) and I upgraded to the Malone 2.0, and holy crap, my JSW is now a little rocket. I had hardly left my driveway and was in 2nd gear and stomped it and knew I'd made the right decision. The engine spools up so much faster and pulls so much harder. I have no idea how much additional power and tq it now has, but my guess is it's substantial. I already loved my JSW, but now it's total infatuation.

Malone was great to work with and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for additional power from their VW.

Stan

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
MY JSW is a sp speed manual, so no DSG tune required.
Just curious, I still have one more fix to be done on my Passat next year and then want to install the stage 2 plus DSG tune.

On your 2014 do you have to get the stage 2 done by VW or not.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I suggest Malone Tuning. Not sure what kind of tuning your local dealer can do.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
some dealers around here sell APR tunes out of the shop but you'd be an idiot to get them on a Diesel, or anything for that matter.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Just curious, I still have one more fix to be done on my Passat next year and then want to install the stage 2 plus DSG tune.

On your 2014 do you have to get the stage 2 done by VW or not.
Your question has me confused. A VW dealer has nothing to do with Malone tuning. So please help me understand what information you're asking for.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I am thinking about a tune for my 15 GSW with a 6mt. My concern is the life expectancy of the dpf after a tune. Will it fill with ash much sooner? Any idea?

Last edited:

DkZ

TDI
Scirocco 2.0tdi 197bhp ( 140 stock )
I am thinking about a tune for my 15 GSW with a 6mt. My concern is the life expectancy of the dog after a tune. Will it fill with ash much sooner? Any idea?
How can you tell it will not have the same or even less Life Expectancy if stock ? that is something hard to get the right answer, my dad's 1.9 tdi Caddy have stage 2 for 12 years, 423K km's on the clock and still rolling like fresh and no major problems so far, i've saw many stock dead arround 250-300K ... so, how can we expect the engine live endurance ? it's all about how you drive it and how picky you are when you do its maintenance :)

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thinking about a tune for my 15 GSW with a 6mt. My concern is the life expectancy of the dpf after a tune. Will it fill with ash much sooner? Any idea?
Angus, I put about 50,000 miles on my JSW with a Malone 1.5 tune and had no problems with ash or anything else. I run Chevron diesel fuel and almost entirely on two lane roads with little traffic, if that would make any difference. My JSW has 73,000 miles on it, but my tune was deleted for a while with VW screwing with things, but I've had absolutely no problems with my car since the day I purchased it new.

Stan

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Need a bigger turbo for that, have them covered though ;)

DPF life is hard to predict, but we've had no real problems there. Seems that short city drives and granny driving are harder on the emissions components than anything else. Running the car harder and getting the exhaust temps up is if anything good for it. Of course to make more power, you also need more fuel.

And yes, we have multiple VW dealers selling tunes. They've been a little bashful lately though.

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
My objective was to gain enough power to pull my ATV over the mountains in caravaning with my group. They all have pretty new TDI pickups with gobs of power and torque and I didn't want them making fun of the "little" VW. The 1.5 tune allowed me to stay right on their butts and never lose ground, even on the steepest grades, and this 2.0 tune should make it even easier to "cruise" along with them.

I towed one of my motorcycles down to Los Angeles when I had the 1.5 tune (about 750 miles round trip) a couple years ago. I set my cruise at 80 MPH on I-5 to stay with the faster traffic and the car had no problem with that trip. I checked my fuel usage when I finished and if I remember correctly got about 34 MPG.

I won't say anything bad about any other tuners, because I haven't tried them, but I can honestly say that Malone has treated me fairly, and provided me with a great product.

When I get the chance I'll get my JSW on the dyno and post the results. It should be interesting.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Ash is a by product of burning diesel. If you use more fuel with a tune the DPF will fill up faster. It appears like most see an increase in fuel mileage so they use less fuel, the DPF should benefit from a tune.