K&n air filter tdi

matt_covan123

TDI
Vw jetta, audi A4
I have an 07 2.0tdi jetta, was considering a new air filter, probably a k&n panel. Are these any good and will i gain anything from this?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
No use only oem filters . K&n are snake oil that can damage your MAF sensor.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I've been running a K&N for 35k miles, it came with the car and ive oiled and cleaned it twice and had no issues with the MAF yet, but when i do, i will be upgrading to a stock paper element filter.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The maf is one thing but I've seen pics of turbo impellers with a lot of pitting, makes you wonder what that thing lets through

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I believe in K&N on semi-trucks and larger diesel vehicles. but not on smaller engines including our diesels.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Surely you'd go for a better brand than K&N if anything though? There considered to be pretty cheap things over here. I think folk go for stuff like piper cross instead as well as others. Maybe something to do with a non oiled one.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Does make a paper filter generally used by those who are competitive racing. I would never use on of their oiled filters.

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
I wont run K&N on anything! Theres a reason they breath better, cause they let everything in! I put one on my ATV once, intake tube was full of fine sand, threw it away. Wont run one on my 7.3 psd either, I run large semi style paper filter to move more air in it. Moves as much filtered air as I need.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I was looking on idparts.com for an air filter for my 01 jetta tdi because I opened up the air box and discovered a k&n was installed by the last owner. Should I get the one with or without the pre filter? I live in Wisconsin, so its cold 4-6 months a year depending.

This is a quote from their site, "An air filter with white "pre-filter" media is available as a selection below. The white filter is specified for cold climates and was the factory filter on 2004+ BEW vehicles. The white pre-filter is designed to be a moisture barrier and prevent the paper filter from becoming damp, though it may decrease airflow."

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've run both on my 09s, and saw zero difference in MPG or acceleration. FYI...

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The problem isn't the filter, it's the oil. People go overboard with oiling them and thats what gets to the MAF sensor and tears it up. I run a AIRAID dry filter on my Cummins. I think my next filter is going to be a Amsoil with a prefilter cover. May see if they have one for my tdi.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The problem isn't the filter, it's the oil.
Wrong! The K&N lets particles in that have been shown to harm the turbo. There really isn't any advantage to replacing the OEM design unless you've souped up your car to the point that the filter element becomes a restriction on the amount of air you car an use. By that time, you've already upgraded the turbo, intercooler and clutch and have gone through several different "tunes"...

Yuri

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not wrong! Any filter will let particles through that can damage your turbo including a stock one if it gets dirty enough. But dust isn't what tears up the MAF sensor which is what I was referencing above...at least not in the short run when a oiled filter is installed. It's the oil that gunks it up and causes the problems. I agree that a stock filter on a stock car is good but they do make free flowing dry filters that work very well also. The key is keeping it clean. The faster the air supply is the more efficient your turbo will run even at stock.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just love a good discussion (!). Yes, the oil is nasty. That makes sense.

"Any filter will let particles through that can damage your turbo including a stock one if it gets dirty enough."

However, a good, OEM stock air filter flows plenty of air. As it gets dirty, the risk of particles getting through to the turbo decreases, doesn't it? At what time does an OEM filter allow particle through? I would say never.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Actually wouldn't a dirty filter catch more particles, thus the reason your home HVAC filter should be changed because it lets the system breath better?

Same thing should apply to the tdi air filter, if it gets dirty it blocks more stuff from getting through. If a dirty filter prevents air from flowing, it certainly should prevent dirt from flowing...?

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I believe in K&N on semi-trucks and larger diesel vehicles. but not on smaller engines including our diesels.
Been running one on my jeep for the past 80k miles. I clean it when it looks dirty. Re-oil it every oil change (4-5k miles). And I did see performance gains and about 1-2 miles per gallon in fuel economy. I don't think it's "snake oil" as someone said. But because the diesel pulls more air, the oil used on the K&N filter can screw up your MAF sensor as stated. I venture onto "Off Road" forums and the ones overseas who have mostly diesels say DO NOT USE them if you like your ride. :cool:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I can't say that the K&N won't harm the TDi engine or any other, but I have operated them on my 2002 Prius and 2009 JSW for years and have 120, ooo miles on the K&N on the Prius and 185,000 miles on the JSW with no ill effects I can tell.
I started using these filters since where I lived the correct filters were hard to come by at the time.
I have seen reports on the web that the K&N let sticks and twigs etc through and this is just ridiculous.
My turbo has no eroding fo the impeller I can notice, but it may fail tomorrow ar 225,+ K miles.
I think that the paper filter is just fine and there is no power to be gained in this area.
If someone does not know how to oil a filter then they should not use one.
I started working with oiled filters in 1966 with airplanes and they worked OK.The oils were not as stickey then and of course the airplanes all have carbs or mechanical fuel injection.
Probably the best thing for the majority of users is the stock filter. I only switched because of being in the backwoods and not being able to get the filter when I needed one.
I have posted pictures of my air filter housing (the clean side) with no dirt build up and got banned for it.
The K&N discussion leads nowhere. No one's mind will be changed and no good will come of it. My experience not withstanding. They work for me and no one else.
Of course I don't over clean them and oil according to instructions and so far no branches, leaves, twigs, small birds etc in the engine and as far as I know the MAFs are still working fine. No stickey residue in the airbox that I can detect.
It would seem that there is a learning curve and making a mistake could be expensive. But then the CR TDI has a number of GOTCHAs anyway.
At 225,000 miles heading for 300,000 (towing, and doing other things not approved by VW USA). Obviously a rebel and malcontent on the loose, but enjoying all of it.
By the way the dirtier the filter gets the finer it filters and the higher the resistance to air flow. The Stock filter has LOTS more surface area than the K&N and works quite well and there is no reason (other than that I stated) to use anything else. The auto parts dealers close to me just don't carry them. Of course you could go to the dealer or mail order them with little trouble these days.