HOW TO DISABLE SIDE AIRBAG

RussellMoat

Veteran Member
I HAVE MY PASSENGER SEAT OUT TO REUPHOLSTER IN LEATHER. I KNOW THAT THERE IS A "TEST HARNESS" THAT CAN BE INSTALLED AND IS REFERENCED IN A TSB. I CAN NOT FIND THE REFERENCE CAN ANYONE ASSIST. THANKS

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Go to http://www.zelenda.com/VW/newtools.html and you will find the tool you are looking for.

I am almost positive the tool you need is the following. Some brighter person can tell you that.

VAS 5061
Price $16.50
AIRBAG-ADAPTER

Used to prevent unintentional triggering of the side airbags during removal and installation of the driver and passanger seats except audi A8

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
FWIW, the Bentley depicts tool VAS 5094. They do not quite look identical. The hardcopy Zelenda catalog I have lists the 5094 for $21.50.

It also says that "Before working on any airbag, steering wheel or steering column component, always disconnect the battery first."

But your common sense told you that already, I'll bet.

Just be sure the upholstery is designed to split for the airbag if it deploys. You probably already did that too.

I don't know if Bentley is brighter than Curious Chris.
I have my doubts.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: MIGolf ]</p>

vaccineman

I received my Bentley manual after the fact, so I didn't know better, but I simply removed my front seats without incident. I was 'alarmed' after reading that I needed a special tool to prevent deployment, but the fact of the matter is that they did not. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I didn't have the ignition turned to 'on' either. Blind luck on my part, but fortunately good enough here. I removed them to remove my waterlogged carpet and reinstalled when the new carpet arrived.

Thinking through this, though, you'd have to remove the seat before you could install the device anyway, right? I mean, the device plugs into the airbag wiring harness, so you'd need to disconnect it prior.

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
Is the seat easy to remove? I'd like to take my seat out to investigate the heated seat element, but haven't got around to it yet.

BRBarian

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Five Golf TDIs!
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BMW Guy:
Wouldn’t it just be easier to disconnect the battery?
Just a thought.
<hr></blockquote>

Not good enough... A dischage of static electricity could trigger a boom. Not nice if you're trying to put some leather on.

nuke

Veteran Member
Definitely disconnect the battery and the 5094 cable shorts the airbag terminals in the seat so that an accidental spark of static electricity will not fire off the explosives in the airbags.

I had my frontseats done by a pro shop and they even had the VW shorting harness as depicted. I think they take that seriously.