OK I'm an Idiot

blkpas

TDI
2005 Passat
I've got a 2005 Passat TDI and I just topped off my power steering reservior
with dot 4 brake fluid! Should I sell the car or is there hope or me.

Thanx

Acidhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
The answer is "Dunno". ...Sorry couldn't resist that one. The good news that both fluids are hydraulic oils.
Bad new is the the brake fluid is hi temp/ hi pressure. While the power steering is low pressure /low temp. You really shouldn't mix them. I know that you know that. But try to get the fluid out by opening up one of the lines on the bottom of the reserivor to let the fluid out. Hope this helps.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Get out the mity vac and suck the reservoir dry, then unhook the hoses down at the p/s pump. With the engine off, turn the wheel lock to lock to drain even more. Fill and repeat a few times with good fluid and I think you'll be there.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
My question would be why were you topping off the fluid in the PS or brake (intendend?) systems? Perhaps a leak/trouble brewing?

I haven't touched the PS or brake system in over 8 years on my 98.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
blkpas said:

Thanx
Selling the car in that condition without disclosing the screw-up would make you a dishonest idiot. Just drain and replace the fluid.

boulevard

TDI
98' Jetta
Have you started the vehicle? Is the Brake fluid still in the resvoir or have you pumped it through the entire system? Brake fluid is very damaging to almost any type of rubber. You can soak an O ring in brake fluid and it will swell to 4 times its normal size. I would try to get the brake fluid out of the system as soon as you can. ASAP!! Drain and refill the system several times to attempt to disipate the brake fluid. In my opinion this is not a good thing to have happen. This could get expensive if the seals in the stearing system can not handle brake fluid.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend do this. ;)

He (who will remain nameless) was doing a brake bleeding/power steering fluid change at the same time. He was trying to suck out the PS fluid with a baster and lets say that he tipped the bottle of used brake fluid in the PS reservoir. So, some (don't know how much, it wasn't a lot, maybe a quick glug) brake fluid was mixed in with the PS fluid.

My car, er HIS car has been running fine without any leaking from any PS for 2 years and many miles.

Last edited:

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
You obviously want to do work to the car, or you wouldnt have been messing around under the hood in the first place.

The simple answer is, now you will get your wish. I see frequent flushes in your future. I doubt it will cause any damage, but its going to take a lot of flushing to ensure its all out.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
boulevard said:
Have you started the vehicle? Is the Brake fluid still in the resvoir or have you pumped it through the entire system? Brake fluid is very damaging to almost any type of rubber. You can soak an O ring in brake fluid and it will swell to 4 times its normal size. I would try to get the brake fluid out of the system as soon as you can. ASAP!! Drain and refill the system several times to attempt to disipate the brake fluid. In my opinion this is not a good thing to have happen. This could get expensive if the seals in the stearing system can not handle brake fluid.
I must point out the brake system is full of seals as well. are they a different type? The one's i have worked on all seem to be rubber.

boulevard

TDI
98' Jetta
Brake fluid

bugablue said:
I must point out the brake system is full of seals as well. are they a different type? The one's i have worked on all seem to be rubber.
The rubber components in the brake system are designed to be brake fluid friendly. Brake fluid is used often by dishonest people to extend the life of a wornout automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions begin to slip because pressure is leaking around the O rings on the clutch packs. When you add brake fluid it swells all the O rings and seals and makes the transmission work,atleast for a little while about 10k miles until the seals are so soft they blowout. Then the trans needs rebuilt for sure.
Brake fluid will also remove paint and absorbs moisture if left in an open container. Don't mix up brake fluid with Hydraulic fluid because they are not the same not even close. Most Hydraulic oil is just 10 weight motor oil with some conditioners added.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You can order liters of Pentosin PS fluid (the VW OEM stuff) from Impex for about $15 each, I think.

--Nate

boulevard

TDI
98' Jetta
It sounds like putting power steering fluid in to your brakes is a whole lot worse than putting brake fluid in you power steering???

KROUT

persona non grata
Brake fluid mixed with oil will swell the seals and any rubber parts is contacts. I have seen many contaminated brake systems when oil was added to brake system. I would flush the whole system as soon as posible or you will need a new steering rack and pump.