Rolling Coal, the Real Deal, Steam Locomotives

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Take a look at this video, 21 seconds in. You can see what an environmental nightmare steam locomitives were. This was the world's biggest coal-fired locomotive going all out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz14zIBWspA

There is one of these at the B & O Railroad Museum that I saw (non-operational) and it is truely massive.

I've ridden in a few restored steam locomotives and I may post a few shots of the last trip I took. They are really neat machines.

--Nate

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I've been to the Henry Ford Museum 4 times now, the first in 1967. That monster never ceases to amaze me.

:)

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Here is a clip of the biggest Locomotive ever built the UP "Big Boy" 4-8-4-8. At 1.25 million ponds these locomotives are too heavy for today's rails: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8f9VFlNyDQ&feature=related
My grandfather was an engineer running Big Boys from the early 40s until the early 50s. He was exempt from being drafted for the war because his railroad service was an essential job. Very impressive machines, but easily outclassed today by diesel-electrics.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
they still run a coal burner up mt washington everynow and then, the soot can be seen for miles, brings a tear to my eyes each time i see it!

other times it's a modern biodiesel loco

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I've had the privilege of riding on a steam train before. I'll never forget it, great time.

I feel sorry for the operators who had to keep those fed with coal in constant 135'f+ degree heat.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I've had the privilege of riding on a steam train before. I'll never forget it, great time.

I feel sorry for the operators who had to keep those fed with coal in constant 135'f+ degree heat.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I've ridden on a smallish (in comparison) steam loco (great smoky railway) and also seen them run past in the New River Valley of Virginia. One thing that surprised me was how quiet they were. The films make them seem loud. I guess maybe the big ones are!!!

What impressive machines.