Sterring wheel horn stuck on?

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok do here is the deal,
bought a gti steering wheel yesterday to replace my old nasty 4spoke one. I assembled everything and when i plug the battery and turn the key on the cars horn goes of(one constant beep). soo i unplug the battery and take the airbag off.. i check for anything block the steering but that dosent seem to work i unplug the two grounds but it still beeps..

Anyone kknow what to do?? is the harness the same as thr gti harness

Please help!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
The horn should not be going off if the wires that plug onto to the steering wheel are not being grounded. Not the yellow plug for the airbag, the other two wires...

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
yeah i did plug the two wires to the steering wheel(the black ones)..

i highly doubt it but would it change somthing if i changed the lenght of the wires (one didnt reach the metal tab on the gti steering wheel

Has anyone done the swap from the oem 4 spoke to the gti 3 spoke wheel??

Thanks!

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
the problem is i dont know were to plug the second ground wire because there are only two mountting tabs(on the same top metal plate...) i dont find any other mounting spots to put the other wire beside the two that are one the top plate(as i mentioned)

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Here is a picture of the inside of the wheel..is there anything missing??? i circled in yellow the two metal tabs to which i can plug my wires but then the horn stay on permanently.

http://img830.imageshack.us/i/imagefsk.jpg/

Your problem is that there is no air gap between those two tabs you're plugging onto. Those tabs are on the same piece of metal. The air gap is what makes a switch a switch. When the air gap goes away, then the two contacts join to make a circuit which sounds the horn. Without that air gap, your horn sounds 24/7 just as you've already found out.

Look around more and figure out how it's supposed to work. Without it in my hand, I cannot tell you were the second wire is supposed to go. There should be some "springs" that separate the parts that make contact when you depress the horn. If you look at your old 4-spoke wheel, you'll see what I mean.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Your problem is that there is no air gap between those two tabs you're plugging onto. Those tabs are on the same piece of metal. The air gap is what makes a switch a switch. When the air gap goes away, then the two contacts join to make a circuit which sounds the horn. Without that air gap, your horn sounds 24/7 just as you've already found out.

Look around more and figure out how it's supposed to work. Without it in my hand, I cannot tell you were the second wire is supposed to go. There should be some "springs" that separate the parts that make contact when you depress the horn. If you look at your old 4-spoke wheel, you'll see what I mean.
Yeah i took appart the top plate on my old wheel and fout that on the back there are there cooper coloured tabs that make the connection when pushed..on the gti wheel that connection is made too but i think the second qire needs to be pluged on the backside of the steering wheel thru this little square hole next to the main M12 screw.

Im goin to try that tommorow see if i can figure it out..

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
yeah i figured it out..
the first black wire(at the end of the harness plug should be touching the top metal plate and the wire in tye middle located bettween the 2 airbag wires an the other black wire should be touching the actuall steering wheel or the bolt..

the problem was i was doing the reverse...

also since i dont have any mounting brack on the actuall steering wheel i ended up stripping the last black wire and wrapping iy around the m12 center bolt soo it is guaranteede to stay in contact..