Acceleration hesitation

bradleyjc

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My 2001 jetta tdi (automatic) has a weird little quirk I can't figure out. It accelerates up to 2200rpm and then hangs up for a second and then continues to rev normally through the power band. I have noticed it in all gears, but most of the time it is when I first take off in 1st gear. Could it be my VNT actuator sticking in the same spot everytime. I am new to diesels and turbos, so I don't really know. Anyone having a similar problem or got any suggestions?

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
I wouldn't rule out the VNT, but I think I remember others with this problem a year or two ago. I want to say it was related to the MAF, but that could easily be wrong. See if you can find it with a search.

bradleyjc

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I replaced the air filter, maf, and the fuel filter recently. But I think it is possible I got a bad maf. It was one from Ebay and could be the one for the 2.0 Jetta. The car does rev normally in neutral.

therod

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
quick check to see if it is the maf. Unplug it and see if the problem is still there. If not, you got a bad maf...

bradleyjc

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
We'll I'm pretty sure it is the MAF. I unplugged it and the car had noticably less power but no hesitation. Everything I've read says a bad MAF can definitely cause hesitation (even the back of MAF cleaner can says it is one thing that it can eliminate). I just assumed that since I had a new MAF that it couldn't be the problem. Just goes to show... beware of what you buy on EBAY! Seems to me that the VNT could still cause the same problem though.

Corbin

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
I solved the same problem by replacing the MAF. I had several "holes" in the power band. Don't know why, but the MAF seemed to misreport air flow at several points during acceleration. You would think a bad MAF would be incorrect consistently, or linearly.

I would wager its a bad MAF plaguing you. I have replaced one and have another on its way out now. Annoying part to have to replace more than once. $$.

bradleyjc

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
apparently the new Bosch (the one thats on TDIparts.com for $130) is supposed to be an updated version and a better quality part. We can only hope!