What did you pay for your 'fixed' CPO TDi

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Picked up my 2011 Golf TDI 6MT with 52,000 miles for $8,500.
DieselGeek short throw shifter and 2micron return filter kit already installed.

Found the original owner from a hit & run accident report that was filed.
Cool dude that told me the history of the car, gave me some solid advise and gave me a heck of a deal on the Weather Tech floor mats he pulled out before the buyback.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Interesting: so you reached out to the previous owner? In the owners manual of my 2015 wagon is some paperwork with the previous owners information. Name, address, email address, DOB even.

I was tempted to reach out to him but refrained because it seemed kind of odd/creepy. idk

KG4BHR

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6M
Interesting: so you reached out to the previous owner? In the owners manual of my 2015 wagon is some paperwork with the previous owners information. Name, address, email address, DOB even.

I was tempted to reach out to him but refrained because it seemed kind of odd/creepy. idk
Yes I did, although I did hesitate for a while for the same reasons. In the end I just figured what the heck, nothing to lose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
Just bought 6speed man, JSW. 38xxx, sunroof. No nav (I enjoy being lost) and no camera. No CPO, $11,900. Body and interior mint for the mileage. Had to pound 300 mile on It to get it home before any maintenance. Fingers crossed.

spepin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just picked up a '14 Passat TDI SEL Premium CPO with 28k for $13,400. I know it's not much, but I had them include a current map/firmware update DVD (will be shipped to me straight from VW). I was going to look at a '13 version of the same car, with 21k on it for a few hundred less, but it sold the day before I was able to get down to the dealer.

CAJetta

TDI
2013 Jetta
2013 Jetta

Purchased 2013 CPO Jetta from Van Nuys Volkswagen for $11,700.00. Vehicle had 20k miles at the time of purchase.

Dealership provided me with the service records for the vehicle which were fraudulent. Cabin and air filters were not changed which was contrary to what the service records indicate.

I am Going to change the oil because I just can't trust what is indicated on the service records.

Have been going back and forth with VW Corporate regarding the actual CPO certification on the vehicle because the dealership sold me the vehicle with a recall.

VW said they are going to reimburse me for the cabin, fuel, and oil filters.

I installed a Kenwood stereo and a backup camera on the vehicle.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with the vehicle.

NOZR1

TDI
2013 VW JSW TDI
Purchased 2013 CPO Jetta from Van Nuys Volkswagen for $11,700.00. Vehicle had 20k miles at the time of purchase.
Dealership provided me with the service records for the vehicle which were fraudulent. Cabin and air filters were not changed which was contrary to what the service records indicate.
I am Going to change the oil because I just can't trust what is indicated on the service records.
Have been going back and forth with VW Corporate regarding the actual CPO certification on the vehicle because the dealership sold me the vehicle with a recall.
VW said they are going to reimburse me for the cabin, fuel, and oil filters.
I installed a Kenwood stereo and a backup camera on the vehicle.
Other than that I'm pretty happy with the vehicle.
I also Have a 2013 and want to get a backup camera. Which Kenwood did you go with?

NOZR1

TDI
2013 VW JSW TDI
I just got a 2013 CPO JSW DSG car with 35k on it for 12k. A couple small scratches on one side that I think will buff out while the interior is flawless. Love it so far!

spaktacular

TDI
2011 JSW, 6 stick
Noob here

Purchased a 2011 JSW with a 6 speed stick on Halloween 2019. Had 66,700 miles on it. Exterior in pretty decent shape for an 8 year old car, interior excellent. Outside of an oil change, haven't done anything else to it....yet. Have clocked 8,000 miles so far, pretty happy with it. Although the Bluetooth connection for my phone is extremely tempermental - not for calls, but for audio/music playback. There have been several times where it just won't connect at all, but the phone still connects and works perfectly.

37driver

TDI
2015 Passat 2.0 TDI SEL Premium
Hi folks, first post and first TDI. I just bought a 2015 Passat SEL Premium with 46000 miles for 13k that's absolutely pristine. It was a car that was delivered to the dealership immediately prior to all sales being stopped. It was fixed and sold in April of 2017 so the emissions warranty will run until 2028. Unfortunately a Honda dealership had it so no CPO. I tracked down all of the service records through Carfax and the dealerships emailed me all of the records.

Last edited:

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
Hi folks, first post and first TDI. I just bought a 2015 Passat SEL Premium with 46000 miles for 13k that's absolutely pristine. It was a car that was delivered to the dealership immediately prior to all sales being stopped. It was fixed and sold in April of 2017 so the emissions warranty will run until 2028. Unfortunately a Honda dealership had it so no CPO. I tracked down all of the service records through Carfax and the dealerships emailed me all of the records.
It is my opinion that you got a pretty fair deal. It sounds like your car never lived with someone who had the opportunity to poorly maintain it knowing they were getting a windfall in 6 months or longer. SEL would give it an additional $1k value to me, but I think the overall market values it more.

You'll get all kinds of opinions here, some worth more than others. I've seen it said by one who's opinion I rate among the most valuable (Oilhammer) that the "CPO" status has little to no value, so I wouldn't worry about not having that.

Drys

TDI
'15 GSW SEL
'15 GSW SEL with all options besides lighting package, 40,000mi for $17k. Came from a VW dealer with CPO, local 1-owner. Had DSG serviced along with the 40k interval.

It had the Phase 1 emissions service and under the diesel lookup, Phase 2 is "partial". Dealer said they haven't gotten the notice to fully complete Phase 2, is that something I will be notified by VW or doesn't affect me?

Last edited:

GoThingNC

TDI
2011 JSW-Toffee Brown
Local dealer by me has a UG 2012 CPO Golf, asking 13K with 45,000 miles.
I purchased a twin Golf last June for $11,500 with 43,000 miles on it.
Did prices creep up since early 2019?
Dealer still has it.
Dropped the price to $12K

Question, if the car sits on the lot for a year after the fix, does it mean the emissions warranty is now 3 years/48,000 miles.

spepin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Dealer still has it.
Question, if the car sits on the lot for a year after the fix, does it mean the emissions warranty is now 3 years/48,000 miles.
I wonder if they dropped the price because it can't technically be sold as a CPO any longer. According to the CPO report that I received with my car, one of the prerequisites for CPO status is "Vehicle is no older than current or 6 previous model years". Since we're in the 2020 model year, this would eliminate anything previous to MY2014 as being able to be sold as a CPO. The dealers are still trying to sell 2013's (and apparently 2012's) as CPO, but I would thinbk you could negotiate a much better deal since they can't technically be sold as such.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Dealer still has it.
I would think so as the warranty time is keyed to the fix date and/or the original sale date. One more year down the tubes I would say.

GoThingNC

TDI
2011 JSW-Toffee Brown
I wonder if they dropped the price because it can't technically be sold as a CPO any longer. According to the CPO report that I received with my car, one of the prerequisites for CPO status is "Vehicle is no older than current or 6 previous model years". Since we're in the 2020 model year, this would eliminate anything previous to MY2014 as being able to be sold as a CPO. The dealers are still trying to sell 2013's (and apparently 2012's) as CPO, but I would thinbk you could negotiate a much better deal since they can't technically be sold as such.
Per the ad it is still being listed as a CPO. https://www.leithvwraleigh.com/used-Raleigh-2012-Volkswagen-Golf-4dr+HB+DSG+TDI-WVWDM7AJ6CW180544

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I bought my 12 Golf TDI in December 2019 as CPO so I would say that won't matter.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
I've posted before about buying 2014 sport wagon from NW dealer so we would get CPO and extended warranty. All independents didn't offer the 10/120 warranty. $15K, 19k miles, black/beige with pano sunroof.

I took the wagon in for first oil change since purchase to a closer NW dealer. (I know was just plan lazy and had dealer change vs. myself...)

new dealer Service manager said the car was NOT registered as CPO! We have the extended warranty 10/120, but now I question that all required VW checklist, plus what we asked for (all fluids changed, Including trans, brakes, engine; also battery, some body work, new tires etc.)
Also, new dealership's Service manager said I should call original dealership to have registered CPO.
The only reason went to original dealership was to make sure we got the 10/120 and CPO on the car. Non CPO and 10/120 warranty not able to get from non dealers...and these cars are $1-2k less, at least, in most cases I have found.

I hope dealer won't pushback on registering CPO. Reason is that was told that dealers usually have to spend 400-600$ to have cert by VWoA to be CPO qualified. Noted that car had some cosmetics that should have been done to qualify and brakes are worn to what would be expected from car with 30K. Not the 9K we have put on it...so did they put new brakes on the car as agreed? Plus all the other requested items?

*Point is, you need to really push and understand what you want from dealer if purchasing.
*Any Experience / ideas when I contact dealer to make sure they register car and issues that they may need to correct?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The 10 year/120k mile emissions warranty is mandated the the court and has nothing to do with being provided by VW by choice or selling party. As long as the free emissions updates are done, the warranty is in effect. VW cannot get out from that. Regardless of the selling party this warranty will remain in effect. The CPO is another story and is provided by VW dealers. I would question and get approved from your selling VW dealer on this right away. I don't think cosmetics and such are required to be done to be CPO qualified, at least not the ones I have looked at and asked the VW dealer about.

ufdlim

TDI
'15 Golf TDI Manual
Mine was a 2015 Golf S 6MT for 11.5k with 55k miles (non-CPO) in the PNW back in Jan '20. Been loving it!

Question though - I only have the brown sticker, which suggest phase 2a complete. However, when I brought this up to the dealership they said all emission work was complete. The VW lookup site also says partial...

I assume that when I get to 65k I would be eligible for the phase 2b as I have a 6MT?

timestar

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hey guys,

I have a hard time understanding what the 2-year "limited" CPO warranty covers say for a 2014 Passat TDI with 24,860 miles.....the dealer also offers a third party extended warranty by JB&A for 5 more years or 94,860 miles with same CPO coverage for $2,740 which seems really high. Help!

timestar

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Help,
I am questioning the CPO warranty eligibility for a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 24,860 miles I am considering. The Volkswagen WorldAuto Pre-Owned Program Overview says this: To qualify for the Volkswagen WorldAuto Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a vehicle must be no more than five model years old and have fewer than 75,000 miles on the odometer. So the 2014 the dealer says is a CPO vehicle is not eligible other than for the 112 point inspection, Carfax report, and roadside assistance correct? See this:

https://www.usedcars.com/certified-pre-owned/info/volkswagen/

The real CPO Waranty looks good and it can be extended for 100,000 miles. You can also email me offline at: timestar@nc.rr.com

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hey guys,

I have a hard time understanding what the 2-year "limited" CPO warranty covers say for a 2014 Passat TDI with 24,860 miles.....the dealer also offers a third party extended warranty by JB&A for 5 more years or 94,860 miles with same CPO coverage for $2,740 which seems really high. Help!
We have a CPO Mk7 GSW. Honestly, I didn't pay too much attention to the CPO warranty b/c the emissions warranty is so robust. From memory, the CPO was 24mos/12k miles, and an extension of the initial bumper to bumper coverage, which obviously excludes fluids and consumables. There is a $50 fee which is per-item, meaning you pay that fee only once for each area that needs service, but pay again for a different item. That fee is negated if the item needing service is covered by the emissions warranty (but for many dealers, you agree to pay the fee in advance, and then wait for the dealer to decide if it will be refunded). Seems like a no-brainer for emissions work, but I can say from experience the dealer, when confronted with a DPF issue, refused to guarantee ahead of time that the fee would be waived (it was).

IMO, most extended warranties are not worth the price, and for TDIs covered by the emissions warranty, they rarely make sense. The emissions warranty is pretty amazing.

If you don't have a copy of the VW settlement emissions warranty book, you can get one fairly easily; same for the CPO warranty.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Help,
I am questioning the CPO warranty eligibility for a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 24,860 miles I am considering. The Volkswagen WorldAuto Pre-Owned Program Overview says this: To qualify for the Volkswagen WorldAuto Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a vehicle must be no more than five model years old and have fewer than 75,000 miles on the odometer. So the 2014 the dealer says is a CPO vehicle is not eligible other than for the 112 point inspection, Carfax report, and roadside assistance correct? See this:

https://www.usedcars.com/certified-pre-owned/info/volkswagen/

The real CPO Waranty looks good and it can be extended for 100,000 miles. You can also email me offline at: timestar@nc.rr.com

If I understand it correctly, the year and mileage requirements for a CPO vehicle are the minimum requirements- they do not mean that any VW meeting those parameters will be offered as a CPO. When we were looking at Mk7's, there were lots of cars at 3 years old, less than 24k miles that weren't CPO, either because they were too worn in a multitude of other ways to be sold as CPO, or because dealers were too lazy to offer make the effort involved in doing the work usually associated with CPO vehicles. Other times it doesn't make financial sense- a dealer doing things the right way might spend $2k to bring a car "up to" CPO standards, but would have made more money offering it as used, non-CPO. I use "up to" in quotes because, as has been said before in other threads, CPO for VW seems to vary wildly from dealer to dealer. They may all lay claim to 112 point inspection (each wheel bolt is a separate point), but some CPO cars have had almost nothing done, others have a full round of maintenance, fluids, and filters.

Bottom lines, IMO: (1) The emissions warranty is far more valuable than the CPO warranty, and is useful in a better time-frame, when you car is more likely to need work; (2) CPO cars vary greatly, and the condition of the car and service history trumps the warranty; (3) If your plan is to buy a TDI and rely on the dealer for non-catastrophic emissions service, it might not blossom into the best of relationships.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 2014 Passat, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
I picked up a 2015 Golf TDI SE Sportwagen for $15,997 back in April (truck-shipped from the dealer in Tempe AZ to me in CA). I did a lot of searching for months on Autotrader, had been looking at the 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagens but couldn't find one equipped as I wanted (the sunroof, 17" alloy wheels and most importantly, the Fender stereo system), finally started looking at the 2015 Golfs and found MY car. Sure, I would have liked the SEL but those that I found were a LOT more $. I am SUPER HAPPY with my new car, only had 38,000 miles on it. So far it's fantastic! (my old car was a 2003 Jetta TDI SEL Wagon, which had 294,000 miles on it). I would have kept the ol' 03 and put another few hundred thousand on it, but honestly I really wanted the newer car with all the fun stuff, and sure, my mileage dropped about 4 to 6mpg but for 140hp over the 90 I had, what a deal! (and to chip-tune the Golf to 180hp, HELLO!!) I had / have a bit of trepidation over buying the 1-year model engine the 2015's have over the older multi-year 2.0's (my wifes car is a 2014 Passat TDI SEL, and I LOVE that car!)...but I took a chance. How that plays out over the next decade plus as to parts availability is to be seen. In the meantime, WHAT A CAR!!!!

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
What is the extended emissions warranty (time, miles)?

Does it start from the day VW performed the repairs?

I'm looking at a 2012 Jetta to replace my aging 01 ALH. I have no illusions it will last as long as my 01 or get the mpg. But living in the rust belt is forcing me to move into something newer....this thread is giving me lots to think about.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Ok so partially answering my own question it looks like 4 yrs/48k miles from date of repair.

I'm assuming this is transferable? Any concerns I should have purchasing from a private seller?

I thought about starting a new thread but I see lots of experience here. I'm planning on looking at this car tomorrow, any insights you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Generally there are two parts and it is the longer of the two. One from the date of first in service (sale) date for miles/years or from last modification for miles/years.

Ciao998Duc

TDI
2012 Passat tdi se
2012 Passat tdi se, opera red, beige leatherette, no Nav, no backup camera , does have sunroof. 17 inch wheels, new tires. New brakes, no fog lights. Car is nearly perfect condition. Non cpo, couldn’t strike a deal for a cpo car with the dealers rashed and beaten cars. 55k miles, 9750 US.