Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
“Gentlemen please, rest your sphincters.” There's plenty of blame to go around for both parties.

Now tell me why all the truck stops that years ago were the bargain bins for D2 are so darn expensive. Used to be I could routinely trust the Flying J to be the cheapest on my travels. Now, they're often the most expensive. Same with Pilot and Love's. There's a Love's in Canton, Miss that wants $3.149 for D2, while just about 10 miles down the road in Jackson the Kroger was selling it for just $2.759. Even across the highway from that aforementioned Love's, D2 is 10-15¢ lower usually. So what gives?

I ask because Love's is building a new truck stop up the road a piece from me, at an exit with two existing stations that charge incredibly outrageous prices for all their fuel. I was hopeful that the truck stop would bring those prices down until I saw the big yellow sign go up. *sigh* I feel sorry for all the out-of-towners who stop at that exit, then drive three miles south on the interstate and see fuel prices 30¢ or more cheaper.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Yes, Why?

:)

We are seeing the same action arould here. :(

Arco used to be the lowest price. Now Arco is the highest! :(

All the others (Shell, Mobil, Chevron and Union Oil 76) used to higher, and all are now less than Arco. :eek:

Go figure. :confused:

:D

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
rotarykid said:
And How can you blame the Dems for the debt........is this a little of rewriting history on the right again :confused: ????/:mad:
Who said anything about rewriting history? :confused:

Both parties are to blame for this, in reality, when it comes to politics the US House and Senate are almost as corrupt as a South American country or Former Balkan state. No wonder Iraqi elections are a Farce, they are modeling themselves after the US...:eek:

No bill can be passed in the House or Senate unless someone gets a new Pork Barrel rider attached... This type of thinking knows no party lines.

Now I speak of the Future :eek:

Welcome to the realm of ever increasing spending (Health Care et. al.). The US national Dept may reach a number with the "quadrillion" notation beyond it in a few years at this pace :eek:

Watch http://www.usdebtclock.org/ and be afraid, be very afraid...

MrVermin

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Diesel price are in par with the premium gas, about 3.29. The regular gas is 2.95 (at Costco) Sams' diesel at 3.24. So if you have a gas or hybrid car, now is the time to use it more and park the TDI until the diesel price drops. This way you will capture saving of both fuels.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question.

Dodoma said:
Diesel price are in par with the premium gas, about 3.29. The regular gas is 2.95 (at Costco) Sams' diesel at 3.24. So if you have a gas or hybrid car, now is the time to use it more and park the TDI until the diesel price drops. This way you will capture saving of both fuels.

Are you speaking of Sam's Club? Where? :confused:

I didn't know they sold D2. ;) If so, I'd better join.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
This isn't really the thread for this but , it's not that politicians are dishonest but that we as a country are whiny children that don't want to be told the truth . I can only think of a couple of national leaders in the last 35 years that actually told the truth of this .

We can't have good roads , police & fire protection or health care without paying for it .

And if any polititcian tells us this truth those on the far right scream bloody murder .

All of our elected officials do what they can to bring home tax money . To the district that is getting the funds that lead to parks , roads or other types of jobs it's not pork .

All the current health care plan has done is protect the poor and disadvantaged from ins. companies that want to dump us for having had the misfortune of getting sick at some point . And what the reform has done is put the cost we have always been paying below board for the uninsured above board where it should be .

Everytime those of us that have ins. go to a doc or hospital we are charged for those that don't . And our taxes have been paying for the uninsured to get care for decades when they get sick . With the new health care law just passed all in the US will be required to purchase health care from "private" ins companies . This will make it cheaper for us all , I don't care what those on the right claim it will be far cheaper for us all .

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Derrel H Green said:

Are you speaking of Sam's Club? Where? :confused:

I didn't know they sold D2. ;) If so, I'd better join.

Yea Sam's Club has diesel here in Fountain Valley. I think the price is 3.17 or something. Kind of pointless seeing as though a few stations in the area are much lower.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're Right

boutmuet said:
Yea Sam's Club has diesel here in Fountain Valley. I think the price is 3.17 or something.
Kind of pointless seeing as though a few stations in the area are much lower.

Here's a local station in Fountain Valley that someone has listed. See:

http://www.orangecountygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D&area=Fountain Valley&dl=Y&intro=Y

Actually not lower, but the same price.

I post on that site in my area. Yesterday I posted prices for twelve stations selling D2.
Arco is now the highest priced for D2 here in Murrieta. Arco is usually
lower than the other name brands. What's their problem? :(

So why join Sam's when the price of D2 is the same at a know quality station?
Does Sam's sell that much fuel being as one must join before they can purchase? :confused:

If Sam's sets their pricing like Costco does for gasoline, only meeting and matching the nearby prices,
what's the point? Of course, sometimes Costco is considerably lower than the nearby stations.
'Gasoline.' There's that bad word again!

Now, with not owning one of those any longer, I no longer use Costco for fuel!

I'll check here in Murrieta and see if the local Sam's has added D2
to their fuel islands, and what their price is, just for kicks!

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
I have seen the Costco regular in par with Arco. However, Arco's fuel in blended with ethnol so you may not get same mpg as the one from Costco. Moreover, you get a 3% of the listed price with Cosco whereas Arco requres cash. If you are living on credit cards, Costco is the way. Unfortunately Costco does not sell diesel. It is their pricing that attracts long lines.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Around here

I don't think any stations here are selling blended fuel. So F E should be the same.

Where Costco is concerned, the station in Lake Elsinore sells their fuel for several
cents per gallon less than the Arco located right in that same area.

The biggest complaint I have with Arco is that I must use cash, as when you use plastic, they
gig you 45 cents, which of course raises the cost of their fuel X number of cents per gallon.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
At one time, that used to be a common practice where a station would have one price for cash, and a slightly higher price for credit. You are starting to see that come back again, because of how narrow a profit margin most, if not all, stations have on the fuel they're selling. At least that's what I've seen many truckstops doing with diesel. If you watch the signs along the highway for some of them, you will see them alternate between the diesel price and the cash price.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Still, with my Discover gas card that gets me 5% back it still pays to use the card at the higher price for credit. The higher the price per gallon, the easier it is to make that 5% cover the surcharge for credit.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Derrel H Green said:

Here's a local station in Fountain Valley that someone has listed. See:

http://www.orangecountygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D&area=Fountain%20Valley&dl=Y&intro=Y

Actually not lower, but the same price.

I post on that site in my area. Yesterday I posted prices for twelve stations selling D2.
Arco is now the highest priced for D2 here in Murrieta. Arco is usually
lower than the other name brands. What's their problem? :(

So why join Sam's when the price of D2 is the same at a know quality station?
Does Sam's sell that much fuel being as one must join before they can purchase? :confused:

If Sam's sets their pricing like Costco does for gasoline, only meeting and matching the nearby prices,
what's the point? Of course, sometimes Costco is considerably lower than the nearby stations.
'Gasoline.' There's that bad word again!

Now, with not owning one of those any longer, I no longer use Costco for fuel!

I'll check here in Murrieta and see if the local Sam's has added D2
to their fuel islands, and what their price is, just for kicks!

When I drove by a few stations nearby to Sam's Club today I found these prices for diesel:

United Oil at 1st st.: 3.13
Circle K on Harbor Blvd: 3.11
Chevron 1st st: 3.13
Chevron Harbor Blvd: 3.09
76 Westminister Blvd: 3.15
76 Ball Rd: 2.99
Arco Ball Rd: 2.97
Sam's Club on Brookhurst: 3.17

The question is why would you buy a membership to Sam's Club to spend more on the same fuel product. Even ARCO has cheaper or comparable prices for gasoline.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
rotarykid said:
The republicans blocked every attempt to increase CAFE or to raise the gas tax in the 90s which is how we pay for our falling apart roads . We haven't raised the federal gas tax in almost 20 years , that is irresponsible and just ridiculous . We should start a gradual rise today of say 0.15 a year for the next 10 years to get the US somewhere close to where we should have been 20 years ago .
It would be interesting to know how much of those taxes actually go towards roads and how much of that revenue is siphoned off into other projects. Like in California I know portion of gasoline and diesel revenues goes to transit projects and education. We need to consider different ways of taxation also because of the forecast increase of electric vehicles and home filled natural gas vehicles that avoids road taxes completely. I would be in favor of a mileage tax where you would record your odometer reading at the end of each year on your tax forms as long as any other fuel tax would be abolished and no gps system would be involved. The type of vehicle could be considered in the taxation.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
boutmuet said:
(snip) The question is why would you buy a membership to Sam's Club to spend more on the same fuel product. Even ARCO has cheaper or comparable prices for gasoline.
__. Not "Sams" but corporate. A new "super" Waw-Mott opened up in my little town just before Christmas; it has a "Murphy" station attached. They came out with low prices and diesel was $.20 less than the going rate (a Hess just across the road/exit from the Interstate and a local "No-Name" station). Prices at New Year were about $2.48. The other places around town matched the Murphy price. Now the Murphy price is drifting up; it's now $2.94 (the Hess and local station are $2.97); a Wilco-Hess in Kinston NC (about 50 miles away) is at $2.91.

__. It's all a "how much can we screw them for" issue; also, there's little competition. Everybody down here buys their fuel (diesel and gas) from the same couple of distributors.

__. From '02 (my first diesel year) until about '08, Flying J was consistently the lowest price I ever saw fuel. It was usually enough cents lower than anything around to make it worth looking at (even if the performance I usually got was crap). But stations near to it would often come near to matching their prices with good quality fuel. Then we hit the perfect storm a couple of years ago - US ULSD could be shipped to Europe and sold there for the first time, China and other Asian countries started buying up diesel, and refiners were feeling the squeeze from N American regs, making the competion less. About that time, "Jay" who founded "Flying J" and made the business on low fuel prices but high profit on other truckers' services killed himself in a plane crash and a "management team" came in to run things; within a few months, Flying J was in bankruptcy and the first thing that they did was jack up prices to higher-than-local -- and, since there was no competition from Flying J anymore, all the local prices eased way up from where they'd been and Flying J prices floated on up even more with them. That's what happened to Flying J.

__. In January, it looked like we'd be flushing our toilets with D2 by spring - a sudden cold snap actually burned up a bit of the suprlus as heating fuel on the East Coast - but there is still a glut. If there were any effective competition, prices would be falling like Tiger Woods's girlfriends' panties. It's the old story, the gummint is helping us where we don't need help and not helping where we do and in the process, we're all getting screwed.

__. The speculation thing is hurting too. Ever noticed that if oil goes up $4 a barrel, the retail price of D2 goes up $.20 overnight, then another $.05 over the next week; but when crude falls $4 a barrel, the price ambles down $.04 over the next two weeks? So, "Big Oil" is using the prices driven by speculators to justify stuffing it to us again.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
mrGutWrench said:
__. The speculation thing is hurting too. Ever noticed that if oil goes up $4 a barrel, the retail price of D2 goes up $.20 overnight, then another $.05 over the next week; but when crude falls $4 a barrel, the price ambles down $.04 over the next two weeks? So, "Big Oil" is using the prices driven by speculators to justify stuffing it to us again.
I just got my first diesel in May 2009 and the lowest price I paid for diesel here in California was $2.399 the first fill up of that car but I remember the price of D2 shooting up quickly after that. I believe it went up to around 2.69 shortly after that at that same station a week or two later.

As for oil speculation I know countries like China and India are building supplies of oil reserves and many speculators blame that for the high costs of oil. But it does appear that at least here in the US oil costs don't seem to be in line with market fundamentals.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
mrGutWrench said:
That's what happened to Flying J.
That was very enlightening. I remember reading about Flying J selling off all of some business — pipelines? And shortly thereafter the price shot up. That must've been the management team. :mad:

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Tom Servo said:
“Now tell me why all the truck stops that years ago were the bargain bins for D2 are so darn expensive. Used to be I could routinely trust the Flying J to be the cheapest on my travels. Now, they're often the most expensive. Same with Pilot and Love's. There's a Love's in Canton, Miss that wants $3.149 for D2, while just about 10 miles down the road in Jackson the Kroger was selling it for just $2.759. Even across the highway from that aforementioned Love's, D2 is 10-15¢ lower usually. So what gives?
I think I passed that Kroger today, it's the onejust South of the VW dealership, and it's still at $2.75.

I had to go to Jackson today, like I do every Tuesday and Thursday, but I went early to take care of some other business rather than making an extra trip on another day. I had enough fuel to get me to Jackson, but not enough to get home. I used to fill up at the Petro on Gallatan St. just off I-55. It was the cheapest price around, the pumps are clean and they have free air if you need it. It used to be 20-40 cents cheaper for me to fill up in Jackson, then Sprawl-Mart opened up a Murphy here and thee situation reversed, it was now 20-40 cents cheaper here than Jackson.

Then several months ago it started flip flopping. Some times it would be cheaper here, sometimes cheaper in Jackson.

Before I left home I checked gaspricewatch.com to see the diesel prices in Jackson since all of the truck stops update their prices regularly, and they were all showing $3.04. I drove by the local Kroger so I could see if I should fill up here or Jackson. It was $2.85 at my local Kroger ($2.75 with my 10 cent discount), so I filled up here.

Then I passed by that Kroger I was a bit ticked off when I saw that they had $2.75 diesel. I might just start filling up there from now on even though it's a few miles out of my way. If only I could see their price before leaving town to know which one is cheaper. I might try getting their phone number and calling them when I need to fill up again.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
boutmuet said:
As for oil speculation I know countries like China and India are building supplies of oil reserves and many speculators blame that for the high costs of oil. But it does appear that at least here in the US oil costs don't seem to be in line with market fundamentals.
Wholesale prices in the US are in line with wholesale prices elsewhere in the world.

On another note, often when a nation builds up huge stockpiles of strategic commodities, it is in preparation for waging war.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
jimnms said:
Then I passed by that Kroger I was a bit ticked off when I saw that they had $2.75 diesel. I might just start filling up there from now on even though it's a few miles out of my way. If only I could see their price before leaving town to know which one is cheaper. I might try getting their phone number and calling them when I need to fill up again.
Oh yeah, I've played that game quite a few times. Good luck calling, a lot of places won't divulge prices over the phone. :eek:

Another low-price hotspot to check in the area is the Kroger in Clinton on US-80 off the Springridge Rd exit. The Kroger used to be right by the interstate, but it moved to the old K-Mart location a few blocks away, so there's two Kroger gas stations. One next to the exit and one in front of the new store. The one by the store has diesel, although the last time I was there it was stickered for LSD and not ULSD. I don't mind running LSD in my '05 so that isn't a problem. Either the Clinton or the I-55 locations will have the lowest prices in the metro area that I've found.

Also along US-80 is an Orbit and another Murphy USA that are also pretty competitive.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have You Tried

jimnms said:
I had to go to Jackson today, like I do every Tuesday and Thursday, but I went early to take care of some other business rather than making an extra trip on another day.

this site for fuel pricing?

http://www.mississippigasprices.com/

Depending on how active members are in the area posting prices, it might be of some help? :confused:

Don't know the names of the smaller towns in your area,
but do a search and see what you come up with.

Good luck calling stations and getting any info by phone.

HTHs

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
If members had a choice between a station with a low price but low turnover of its diesel fuel and a station with a higher price and high turnover of its fuel, then which one will you choose?

I will choose the latter everytime, but that is only me.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Derrel H Green said:
Depending on how active members are in the area posting prices, it might be of some help? :confused:
Don't know the names of the smaller towns in your area,
but do a search and see what you come up with.
Good luck calling stations and getting any info by phone.
HTHs
I'm active on this site. There's also http://www.jacksongasprices.com/ for just the Jackson area.

nj1266 said:
If members had a choice between a station with a low price but low turnover of its diesel fuel and a station with a higher price and high turnover of its fuel, then which one will you choose?

I will choose the latter everytime, but that is only me.
I'd pick the one that balances price and turnover. :p

Edit to add: if it was just one or the other, I'd choose high turnover, too. In my old 00 Golf I had a knack for finding bad diesel everywhere I went, but in this 05 I seem to do better despite stopping at some iffy places in the past. :)

Last edited:

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Tom Servo said:
Another low-price hotspot to check in the area is the Kroger in Clinton on US-80 off the Springridge Rd exit. The Kroger used to be right by the interstate, but it moved to the old K-Mart location a few blocks away, so there's two Kroger gas stations. One next to the exit and one in front of the new store. The one by the store has diesel, although the last time I was there it was stickered for LSD and not ULSD. I don't mind running LSD in my '05 so that isn't a problem. Either the Clinton or the I-55 locations will have the lowest prices in the metro area that I've found.

Also along US-80 is an Orbit and another Murphy USA that are also pretty competitive.
When I got my car I did scout the old Clinton Kroger and discovered they don't have diesel. I know where the new Kroger is, I've driven past it, but I haven't stopped there. On Tuesdays I usually leave Jackson at 4:30, which gets me out of Jackson before the traffic, but puts me in Clinton just in time for their rush hour. On Thursday I leave between 8:00pm and 8:30pm, and I think the Kroger fuel stations close at 9:00pm.

Derrel H Green said:
Depending on how active members are in the area posting prices, it might be of some help?
I used to check that one too, but the updates weren't recent and most people only bother to post the gas prices. The station with the cheapest gas price should also have the cheapest diesel price, but that's not always the case.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
jimnms said:
When I got my car I did scout the old Clinton Kroger and discovered they don't have diesel. I know where the new Kroger is, I've driven past it, but I haven't stopped there. On Tuesdays I usually leave Jackson at 4:30, which gets me out of Jackson before the traffic, but puts me in Clinton just in time for their rush hour. On Thursday I leave between 8:00pm and 8:30pm, and I think the Kroger fuel stations close at 9:00pm.
I used to check that one too, but the updates weren't recent and most people only bother to post the gas prices. The station with the cheapest gas price should also have the cheapest diesel price, but that's not always the case.
The ones around here close at 11pm.

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
nj1266 said:

I will choose the latter every time, but that is only me.
I too would choose the latter. Precludes many other problems that could result from "old" diesel.