mileage increase

smitty711

TDI
2004 jetta TDI Automatic 154,000
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI with the BEW engine. I commute from Sacramento-SF 3 times a week. 91 miles RT. I have 140,000 miles on it. I usually avg 38-40 mpg . Over the last few months i have noticed i have been avg 41-43 mpg. All that has been done is new tires all the way around. I find it hard to believe a new set of rubbers would increase the mileage that much. Any idea?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The tyres could have done it. The old ones may have had more drag than the replacements as well as they may have had low air pressure. I might also suggest the possibility of a different diesel formula "cetane" etc.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
That is a rather large jump, but it is possible. Just remember that life is a lot of trade-offs. The tyre with the best mileage, my have a shorter than average life and the net cost could actually be higher.

alloutdoorsboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta
right and the BP is 47 cetane as opposed to the 40 you were using before, theres your milage increase.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've noticed that different sets of tires give different mile results on the Odometer. Some will "under register" and some will "over register" miles in a given distance (GPS and milepost verified). I adjust my spreadsheet formula accordingly. It's typically no more than 1 to 1.5% plus/minus. Occassionally I have had a set that would be dead-on!