Review of New 2014 BMW 328d Diesel Wagon

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Now that the diesel wagon is available in the states, TDD seems to have been the first to take it out for a review.

2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon – Review and Test Drive

The first station wagons (which are called estate cars in the rest of the English-speaking world and Kombis in the German-speaking world), evolved from trucks, not cars, and, in their earliest days, were a status symbol. Indeed, the Chrysler Town and Country wagon was the most expensive car among the automaker’s 1941 offerings.

While the station wagon’s popularity has waned in the U.S. since the mid-1980s following Chrysler’s introduction of the first minivan, they remain popular, however, among enthusiast drivers who want the versatility of a wagon with the handling of a true sports sedan. BMW addresses this need head on with the BMW 328d Sports Wagon, a diesel-powered four-door wagon.

The latest BMW wagon comes on the heels of BMW’s recent introduction of a 3 Series diesel sedan (a 328i wagon was introduced with the launch of the current generation 3 Series). DSC_0120-EDThe 328d Sports Wagon carries a slightly higher yet still reasonable $1,500 diesel premium over the gasoline variant. By comparison the 328d sedan costs $1,300 more than the 328i.….

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife offered me a BMW a few years back. Maybe this is the one? I'd have a hard time signing that paper work for a $50+K car.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
You got me dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!

It's only $42K in Edmunds, and with a $750 discount.

180hp, and AWD, I'm beginning to dream about moving on from VW.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I just made the move today. Letting go of the faithful Jette TDI and going 328xd. Getting the sedan and not the wagon though.
Congrats! Please share details: options & colors. And photos when you pick it up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just wish you could get it with a manual transmission, rear drive, and no run flat tires.

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Technical engine specs?

Can anyone tell me, or provide a link, to engine specifications of this car? I know it is a 4-cylinder, 16-valve, and DOHC. But what about:

1. Timing belt or timing chain?
2. Injection pump model?
3. Urea or DPF, or both?

This is a real interesting car for me. I could see myself picking up a CPO model with a factory warranty in a few years ...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can anyone tell me, or provide a link, to engine specifications of this car? I know it is a 4-cylinder, 16-valve, and DOHC. But what about:

1. Timing belt or timing chain?
2. Injection pump model?
3. Urea or DPF, or both?

This is a real interesting car for me. I could see myself picking up a CPO model with a factory warranty in a few years ...
  1. Timing chain
  2. HPFP is Bosch CP4.1. Same set up as the Passat.
  3. Both. FYI- all diesel cars sold in the US & Canada since 2007 have had a DPF.

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Thanks for the reply Tom. How does that CP 4.1 favor against the HPFP I have in my 2010 JSW, which I believe is a CP 3.x?

Are there any interesting tidbits on that BMW engine that a nerd like me would find interesting?

Thanks, Jim

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its the same pump, but operating at a lower pressure in the BMW.

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
Just turned over 4000 on our new 328d. I kept the '05 passat TDI. I will contrast the two cars. We wanted a sedan with a diesel motor, so it was a failrly short list to chooose from. Then I decided I wanted a rear wheel drive, which made the list even shorter. The BMW diesel is also only 1500 more than the gasser version.

Engines:
BMW is smoother, quieter and more powerful. Also gets better mileage. Generally get 45 on highway and can often get 50. Averages 40 on a mixed tank. Passat engine is much noiser and has more vibration. Wife now calls it the "tractor". It never gets higher than 38 and gets 30 in mixed driving. The A.S.S works really good.

Ride:
BMW has a harsher ride than the Passat, but handles way, way better. Passat has a softer ride and more body roll. It does have 140K on the factory suspension though. Steering is much more precise on the BMW.

Features:
The BMW is loaded with all kinds of gadgetry and electronics. Heated seats warm up faster. USB, Aux input, bluetooth and built-in 20Gig hard drive make music and phone use so much nicer. I got the sport line package, which came with excellent seats, among other things. Was worth it for the seats also. BMW also has on-the-fly pushbutton selection of eco, normal, sport and sport modes. Changes steering feel, suspension dynamics and transmission shift ratios. Pretty cool, but I bet it is hideously expensive to repair. The driving position is much more cockpit- like than the Passat, but is harder to get in and out of. Has run flat tires and no spare or no place to put a spare.

This was our first BMW and I bought it for my wife as a present for putting up with me over the years. It is also somewhat of a bribe to ease the tension when I purchase a 3rd motorcyle early next year. Ok, it is a blatant bribe, but if it works...

So, far, both of us are very happy with the car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The run-flat tires and the hard ride would be a deal-killer for me. I went through two sets of wheels and three suspensions on my '12 Golf before I got it the way I want. I don't think I could afford that on a BMW. Smaller wheels and taller tires might do the job, but not having run-flats and no spare would worry me.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rparnel1-
Thanks for that review. Has your Passat had the BSM mod done on it? That may explain the noise.
I test drove a 328d and was very impressed. That one did not have the sport suspension and I found the ride just fine compared to my 98 Mercedes and 09 Camry. I've been following the conversations over at bimmerfest and your fuel economy review is right in line with most folks over there.
Enjoy your new ride!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm surprised the Passat isn't getting higher mileage. My 03 gasser runs around 33 mpg on the highway.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rparnel1's fuel economy reported on the B5 Passat matches the performance we saw on ours.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Engines:
BMW is smoother, quieter and more powerful. Also gets better mileage. Generally get 45 on highway and can often get 50. Averages 40 on a mixed tank. Passat engine is much noiser and has more vibration. Wife now calls it the "tractor". It never gets higher than 38 and gets 30 in mixed driving. The A.S.S works really good.

Ride:
BMW has a harsher ride than the Passat, but handles way, way better. Passat has a softer ride and more body roll. It does have 140K on the factory suspension though. Steering is much more precise on the BMW.

Features:
The BMW is loaded with all kinds of gadgetry and electronics. Heated seats warm up faster. USB, Aux input, bluetooth and built-in 20Gig hard drive make music and phone use so much nicer. I got the sport line package, which came with excellent seats, among other things. Was worth it for the seats also. BMW also has on-the-fly pushbutton selection of eco, normal, sport and sport modes. Changes steering feel, suspension dynamics and transmission shift ratios. Pretty cool, but I bet it is hideously expensive to repair. The driving position is much more cockpit- like than the Passat, but is harder to get in and out of. Has run flat tires and no spare or no place to put a spare.
Your review of your 328d sums up my experiences with my 535d. :cool: I have the ///M-Sport version. I am finding VERY hard to want to go back to another VW in the future after owning the 535d for the past 4 months. :cool:

While I have been a diehard manual transmission driver, the I'm finding the 8-spd ZF auto tranny in the 535d is one automatic transmission that I really DO like. I also have the flappy paddle option for shifting. I've been getting around 35 MPG with it while driving it like I stole it. :cool:

I'm at just under 20k miles on the 535d and it gets its free 20k mile service a week and a half from now. I recently had to add some BlueP!$$ (AdBlue/DEF) to the AdBlue reservoir because it was low and the car was nagging me about refilling it. The mileage countdown to no-start begins at 998 miles and I was down to about 300 miles before adding some stuff. I used the AdBlue/DEF I picked up at TDIfest2013 in Maine. The reservoir will get filled up during the $20k service happening soon.

As for getting in and out of the 535d, it too is a cockpit and I use the memory seat presets to save my normal driving position. For getting in and out, I use the controls to raise the steering wheel up and telescope it all the way in before I get out so I will be able to get in easier. I use the memory preset feature to restore my normal steering wheel position after I'm in the car.

I love my 535d!! :cool:

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Just turned over 4000 on our new 328d. I kept the '05 passat TDI. I will contrast the two cars. We wanted a sedan with a diesel motor, so it was a failrly short list to chooose from. Then I decided I wanted a rear wheel drive, which made the list even shorter. The BMW diesel is also only 1500 more than the gasser version.

Engines:

Ride:

Features:

This was our first BMW and I bought it for my wife as a present for putting up with me over the years. It is also somewhat of a bribe to ease the tension when I purchase a 3rd motorcyle early next year. Ok, it is a blatant bribe, but if it works...

So, far, both of us are very happy with the car.

How big is the tank? What is the range ? I would love to be able to go 700 miles on a tank like my ALH can.

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
The '05 Passat has never gotten lower than 27 mpg on a tank that was all short distance, hot hot weather driving. Usually averages 30mpg on mixed driving.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
15 gal fuel tank @ approx 45 MPG gives a 675 mile range.
Maybe you can vent it :p

But honestly....I wish this wagon wagon wasn't 50K. Although I priced one out at 45K without all the bells and whistles. I wonder how it will fair in the used market.

They are claiming 64.9 cubic feet of storage with the rear seats down. Slightly less than the 66.9 of the current Jetta Wagon. And way more than the 51 cubic feet of the MKIV Jetta Wagon.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, but the one benefit the MKIV Jetta wagon has over all of the newer wagons is a more vertical hatch. This allows you to fit large items (like a dresser) in the back and close the hatch. The MKIV cargo area is so square that I could fit more stuff in there than in my B4V. Not something you take advantage every day, but after all it is a wagon.