Stuck in Park

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
I can't seem to get the shifter out of park in my 02 Golf TDI.

Last time this happened, it was the brake light switch. But I've confirmed that my brake lights are working. And the little yellow brake pedal indicator on the shifter console goes out, but it just won't let the lever move into or past reverse.

This happened yesterday after lunch, but I managed to get it into gear after a few minutes of futzing with it. It didn't happen last night when I left work, or this morning when I left the house. But it happened again when I went to go to lunch today.

A common theme might be the increased temperature during the daytime. When I left last night, it was cold, when I left this morning it was cold and both times it stuck, it was on the warm side, like 60-70F.

Suggestions?

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Not my cure, but I picked this out of a previous posting. I don't have a schematic so I don't know if the light circuit is seperate from the signal to
the ECU/trans that the pedal is pressed.

"I recently was having intermittent problems with shifting my Jetta out of park as the brake switch was acting up. Called the dealer and one of the service managers gave me a workaround to get my car out of park and "limp" back to the dealer. I didn't see this anywhere in this forum so I thought I'd share it - might help someone out.
Here are the steps:

1. Put the key in ignition, turn 1/4 turn. Do not go so far that the dashboard lights go on.

2. Using right hand, shift car out of park to a spot between neutral and drive. Hold the shift lever in this position with your right hand.

3. Using left hand, reach through or under the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the start position to start the car. Once started, you should be able to shift to drive.

If you need to go in reverse to start out then you would want to hold the shift lever (step 2) in the position between park and reverse or neutral and reverse.

Worked for me - was able to get to dealer and have them replace the brake switch (under warranty) with the new model.

Good Luck!

Scott"

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
rdkern said:
Check your brake switch.
Is there "another" brake switch? Cause my posting specifically said that my lights were working and my yellow pedal indicator was going off. Just wondering if I'm missing something...

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
still think u have some soda or coffee down in there gumming stuff up i see this alot in the summer time cars wont come out of park but in the winter there ok reason is hot its very stickly and cold it isnt the solenoid might be hanging up in the PRNDL actuator. take console apart and check and see that u have power to the solenoid if so see if the solenoiod is stuck or not working by applying power to it. (A power probe is awesome for things like this)

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Antsrcool said:
soda and coffe down in the center console
This seems likely. Last weekend I spilled a fair bit of ice tea in there when I accelerated out of a stop on a hill... Whole cup flipped out of the cupholder.

Can I disassemble this part of the console without any tools? I'm stuck at work without nothing but a leatherman. My Bently manual is at home. :(

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
im not sure how to dissasemble off the top of my head but once u do get it apart WD 40 is electrical safe and will clean and unstick everything for u theres been times i had to manually work the actuator by hand for quite awhile b4 it woudl come back to life but 99 percent of the time they come back

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
I managed to pry the metal face plate off the console (it snaps in place), and get underneath. But it wasn't much help, since I couldn't figure out how to get the shifter knob and button off.

I fidgeted around underneath the cover a bit just kinda moving things around. It's definitely sticky. I got it into gear. I'll plan on getting it tore apart Friday or this weekend sometime.

Thanks for the suggestion.

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
I finally pulled the console apart to get to the solenoid that was locking the vehicle in park. I played with it for a few minutes, before deciding to disconnect it. With no power it stays unlocked.

Problem solved.