Chris Hill's car trouble

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
I heard that Chris had a problem with his Jetta and needed a lift to fix it Labour day morning in Montreal. Hope he got going - anyone know?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Something about his engine being seized at a gas station somewhere in Montreal. I have no idea. I just heard about it briefly before I left on Monday morning.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I got a PM from him about a part that arrived at his shop - so I guess he is home.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Basically, the engine would turn over to a certain point, then felt as if something were jammed in the flywheel. That's how it was described to me. He was planning to drop the transmission to assess the situation when I left.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
what meganuke said....
and EMS and company were headed back to Ottowa to pick up a trailor and wagon to tow his car back to Boston for him last night. havn't heard any word yet. I dropped MrsChill off at 11pm at their home, and heard he was on the road. I will check in to see if he made it home ok.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I wish I'd heard about this Monday morning, I wandered around the city for a bit and didn't leave until sometime after noon.

Hope all is well.

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver
He's back.. Me and JP (EMS) just got back from Boston about 10 minutes ago! We had no issues towing the car at all, but now I need some sleeeeep.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
ittrad said:
He's back.. Me and JP (EMS) just got back from Boston about 10 minutes ago! We had no issues towing the car at all, but now I need some sleeeeep.
You guys are amazing! Thanks for helping Chris out with his car woes.

EMS

Veteran Member
It's no problem...Road trips tend to give lots of good "US" time.

Besides - Chris has helped out so many TDI'ers out of a jam- I felt it wasn't right for him to be stranded in Mtl.

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver
EMS said:
It's no problem...Road trips tend to give lots of good "US" time.

Besides - Chris has helped out so many TDI'ers out of a jam- I felt it wasn't right for him to be stranded in Mtl.
Ditto, and ditto.

Jamie

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Chris is one of the heroes of the TDI community !!!

I'm sure that if he ever is in need of some assistance, there will be a very long line of volunteers offering to help... I know I'll be there!!!

Glad you guys had the means to get him home !!!!

All the best,

Yuri.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
The Vista Cruiser is super kewl! The boys and I had dinner in Burlington, VT on Tueday evening. They were on their way back to YOW and I was just heading back from YUL.

Its acts of kindness such as these that make this club what it is.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
VeeDubTDI said:
Nice Vista Cruiser, by the way. :)
As in Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser? Geez. I'd be willing to hit the "press to test" button on my marriage if I could find a 71 or 72 with a 455, no rust, and good glass:D

I know, it's a station wagon, but I grew up with one. I remember being so disappointed the day my dad brought it home. He only got the standard 455 package and not the high power package (3 dual carbs?).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes... they have a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser with a 455 V8. 12 MPG towing the Jetta, and 17 MPG without the Jetta. Not too bad for a 38 year old car with an apartment-sized V8!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
VeeDubTDI said:
Nice Vista Cruiser, by the way. :)
I can just hear in my head the sound of a properly running 455 Olds motor. The only thing that tops that IMHO is the Cadillac 500 CI of the middle 70s. Too bad they are a tad hard on fuel, because they are torque monsters!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That wagon is WAYYYYY SWEET!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
When I started out in EMS, I worked for a funeral home. We had two Oldsmobile low top, custom-bodied Miller ambulances with the 455. Going on calls was an adventure! God, I miss those days! :D

Sometimes, the best medical treatment is the liberal application of the right pedal.

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver
VeeDubTDI said:
Dubbers Of The Year, indeed!
Nope... all we were doing was returning some of the good Karma that Chris has built up over the years. If we hadn't done it, I will bet there would have been a tow-truck collection taken up pretty fast!

Jamie

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
leicaman said:
The only thing that tops that IMHO is the Cadillac 500 CI of the middle 70s.
Wasn't that 472 cu.in.? I seem to recall that the 8 liter (488 cu.in.) Viper engine was introduced to bragging that it was the biggest displacement since some Dusenberg.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Nope, Cadillac made a 502 in the early 70's. I had a friend who had one. In-dash 8 track player. Pass me some Foghat, man...

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I was at Hill's shop yesterday. The car is still sitting in front. The man is soo swamped with work that he has not had time to look at his own car. This is what I do know.

Lai and I picked up Chirs at the Ultramar on St Jean in YUL at 03h30 in the AM. Started the car, reversed out of a spot and it died. The engine is somehow locked up. It is not a timing belt issue. Chris things it may be something with the flywheel. However, he is not at all sure yet.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
:-(

I would love to heard the autopsy results and which flywheel it was - and anything else related to this not repating in the future for Chris or me or anyone else.....