Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 99 NB & 03 Golf TDI's
NB 1999 TDI
1 Fault Found:
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

ABS light comes on and stays.
Vagcom shows wheels all have same speed. Brakes feel fine. Not sure if it is a sensor problem since wheels record same speed. I just had the wheels balanced when this started. I hope the pump is not bad. Some postings say check the ground. I have not done that, yet.
What should I look for besides a bad pump or ground?

Thanks

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG

From Ross-Tech Wiki

Contents

[hide]
if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); }
[edit]
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)

[edit]
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64): Signal Outside Specifications

[edit]
Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
[edit]
Possible Causes

• ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Connector to Control Module faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) faulty
  • ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) faulty
  • Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) faulty
[edit]
Possible Solutions

• Check ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Connector to Control Module
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s)
  • Check/Replace ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
  • Check/Replace Brake Electronics Control Module (J104)
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/01276"
Categories: Fault Codes

TDIray

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 99 NB & 03 Golf TDI's
Thanks Starwarstdi,
I cleaned the electric connections and added some electric jell under the air filter box. The ABS light and code have stopped. I hope that takes care of it.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I had my abs pump replaced under warranty not long ago, 10k miles and now the car is out of warranty and I have an abs light on again. Would the replacement pump still be covered if it failed prematurely; or would VW just tell me tough luck since the car is no longer covered ?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
fruitcakesa said:
I had my abs pump replaced under warranty not long ago, 10k miles and now the car is out of warranty and I have an abs light on again. Would the replacement pump still be covered if it failed prematurely; or would VW just tell me tough luck since the car is no longer covered ?
Yes.

Or possibely, No.

Magic 8 ball says... Answer is murky.

There should be at least a years warranty on the part, but you will probably pay the labor.

Or they may tell you to go pound sand.

Or they may be a good dealer and take care of it all including getting to the actual root of the problem.

Be sure to stress to them that they just replaced the part and you need to be sure that they have found the root cause of the failure.

ghestrada

TDI
99 New Beetle, 02 Jetta
I had been driving around with the ABS light on for about a half year. Everytime I would go to Autozone to have the code pulled, they could not find any codes. Because of the all the snow and ice that we have had here in Indiana, finally went to dealer. They wanted to run a full diagnostic ($99), but I was able to get them to just do a "drive up courtesy code check" for free. They pulled the same code as you reference. Estimate to repair: $1638-1700 :eek:.

Went home and did some more research. Found a YouTube video that diagnosed the problem: melted fuse on top of the battery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--a6yUi9a4g). Cost to repair: $48 for a new fuse holder on ebay (with all new fuses - dealer part is twice the cost and has NO fuses). Man, I have got to open the hood more often!

PS. ABS light is out and functioning normally. I can now stop without sliding around :)

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver 5dr Golf TDI 5spd (RIP)
Man, I have got to open the hood more often!

PS. ABS light is out and functioning normally. I can now stop without sliding around :)
Just want to chime in to say my 03 Golf TDI did the same thing.

Vag-com said 01276 - 012

Pop the hood, the fuse box on top of battery melted around the ABS Pump fuse.

Last May was the coolant fan fuse (the green 30A one next door) in the same box that melted and shut off my AC.

This May is the ABS fuse.

Cleaned up the melted plastic, and it was good to go again. :)

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
I've got 01276
008 implausible signal-intermittent
012 electrical fault in circuit-intermittent.
I just pulled the fuses on the battery and cleaned them up haven't driven it yet. We'll see what happens.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I just fixed one of these by opening the control module and resoldering the connections on the circuit board to the pump plug. Both of the connections had broken, so at that point I had very little to loose. Getting the control module apart was an experience since it was glued together. It involved a sharp knife and a lot of nerve. When I was done, I resealed the module with silicone RTV.

Paul

Twin_Guns18

TDI
2000 VW Jetta GL
I was having the same issue and all it ended up being was a faulty fuse. My 30 fuse on top of the batter had burned and melted slightly. I replaced it and the light went away immediately. Give that a shot before you go replacing any control modules or ABS parts. Cheers!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thanks for the help, guys. The cause of my code was high resistance contact on the fuse on top of the battery. Pulled it and inserted it a few times, no more issue.
I ran the output test sequence to be sure all is good.

By the way, I run the output test sequence after each brake fluid flush. That module would be expensive to replace.

This site is still head and shoulders above any other automotive site I have ever used. This is not only due to good management, but also due to the members in general.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Dan, what code explanation were you getting? I just got the 01276 but with a "014 -
defective - intermittent"
I did just recently have to clean one of my green fuses on the battery tray because my AC didn't want to run the other day. This time I swapped the fuse with a different one, likely the ABS one.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I was getting
01276 twice
01276-014 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Defective - Intermittent.
01276-012 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent.

The only real problem was low voltage supply. No parts needed for short term repair.
It would not reset until after I cleaned the fuse blades, and inserted and removed the fuse a dozen times to wipe the fuse contacts inside.

For long term repair, I will have to either replace or repair the fuse panel on top of the battery, or modify it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I was getting
01276 twice
01276-014 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Defective - Intermittent.
01276-012 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent.

The only real problem was low voltage supply. No parts needed for short term repair.
It would not reset until after I cleaned the fuse blades, and inserted and removed the fuse a dozen times to wipe the fuse contacts inside.

For long term repair, I will have to either replace or repair the fuse panel on top of the battery, or modify it.
Where can one find these green fuses, or will any a normal replacement suffice? I feel the OEM green version is able to dissipate heat by having an open top??
Also, this is happening on average of once every year around spring/summer. I may go ahead and replace the now 16 year old battery cables.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Most auto parts stores have them. Any with the same blade size and spacing will work.

The real problem is not the fuses, it is the fuse holder. The clamping force for the fuse blades is too light, and get lighter with time.

These fuse assemblies can be taken completely apart (though it is not obvious how - take off all bolts and nuts then look for a seam to open to get to the copper sandwiched inside), cleaned very well, and the contact surfaces rebent, and even tinned with solder, so that they will make better contact and reduce the heating at the blade contact.

There are threads on this site about the topic.

The battery and alternator cables are a bit undersized in my opinion. I will replace mine at the first sign of trouble with either home made or custom cables that are at least one size larger.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273859

Many times the fuse holder melts under the 30 amp fuses from the poor connection.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
The real problem is not the fuses, it is the fuse holder. The clamping force for the fuse blades is too light, and get lighter with time.
It isn't even the clamping force so much as the small contact area and resultant heat. I generally just bypass the fuse entirely with an in-line fuse holder which has a much larger contact area. Normally only have to do this for the AC power circuit.

Edit: I'm sure that you understand this as well as anyone Dan. Just pointing it out for others. Also, I am moving to NC soon and I am looking forward to attending some "doin's at Dan's" GTGs.

There, I've said it.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, I have tapped off of the main fuse bus and used 40 amp circuit breakers, instead of fuses, for the 30 amp loads on top of the battery.

I moved from Texas to SC 35 years ago, and have pretty much felt at home here.

I just used your injection pump videos yesterday, thanks for doing them.

Looking forward to seeing you.