TDI BEW into 88 4runner

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Hello Everyone,
Ive been lurking on here for a while and kinda wish i started this build in the begging
I started my swap January 2016
i bought the 4Runner from Copart for 1250$
the engine was blown and it was an automatic but the body and interior was super clean
I have the following installed:
2005 1.9 BEW with 87k miles
22r ACME adapter /w dowel pins installed
r151 bellhousing mated to an r150 tranny
solid axle swap
rear tacoma axle w/ E-locker
4.56 gears
35" tires
VNT17
Malone Stage 4 tune
4runner by lex kiselev, on Flickr
4runner by lex kiselev, on Flickr
So far I have put 3k miles on the swap
im having some problems
im having overboost issue,
compressor surge sometimes,
when im in high altitude sometimes when i start taking off in 1st gear i feel loss of power and tons of black smoke
Any ideas what it could be?
the only CEL i have is for coolant temp

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Sounds like an awesome rig! Confused on the 22r acme adapter and then the r151 bell housing. Is it just the ACME r-series adapter plate or did you modify the 22r plate to fit the r151 bell?

Can you post some under-hood pictures so we can see your set-up?

Have you been having the boost control problems from the beginning or did they come out of nowhere? It's rare to see true compressor surge on on a VNT-17, even at altitude. Where did your turbo come from and have you ever adjusted the stop-screw?

Have you gone through the standard inspection of the VNT actuator system to confirm the lever arm moves freely, the actuator holds vacuum, starts to move and hits the stop screw at the appropriate levels of vacuum?

If the VNT actuator is set-up in more or less correctly, it sounds like you should run some logs of actual vs. requested boost and Malone needs to adjust the tune.

Hopefully a dumb question - but are you and Malone on the same page regarding what MAP sensor you're running? (2 bar, 3 bar, 4 bar?)

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
thanks Guys :)
r151 bellhousing is from a 22rte which was a rare turbo option for some trucks and 4runners, the bellhousing matted to the 22r bolt pattern enigine on one side and to the R series tranny on the other side
[/url]Untitled by lex kiselev, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Untitled by lex kiselev, on Flickr[/IMG]
ive had the problem since the begging. i started out with he stock kp39 and a stage 2 malone tune, later i upgraded to vnt17 thinking it would fix the boost creep.
the VNT17 was new from AARodriguez, i have not adjusted the stop screw but i did inspect and adjust the starting(3-5") and stopping(18") two weeks ago and it seems like the turbo is surging more often now.
@Owain thanks for posting the log

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Looks right at home in there. I forgot about the turbo 22r bellhousing. I will have to remember that in the event I kill my w59 and want to upgrade to r-series fun.

For some reason I can't see logs that Owain posts links to. But anyways - Did you upgrade to a 3 bar MAP sensor from the factory 2.5? Does that log Owain posted show what your N75 duty cycle looks like before and after overshooting the boost target?

In terms of surge - I have read one instance of someone tracking it down to a collapsing or restrictive turbo inlet piping. Usually seems to be due to requesting too much boost too soon when using the larger turbos. I assume Malone requests appropriate boost down low and populates the atmospheric boost limit map accordingly. With such a small turbo I wouldn't think you could stall it very easily even with poor mapping - so I would almost suspect you have something different going on.

Have you checked the condition of the cam? If the lobes were really in bad shape I guess they could reduce lift and thus airflow through the engine. You checked the vacuum level at the hose where it connects to the VNT actuator?

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Nice swap. With the overboost issue is it worse with hot IAT? I found mine was worse above 100F and almost none existent below. Im working on putting a much larger intercooler in.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Definatly, R series is the way to go.
The MAP sensor has been upgraded to 3BAR, i did have a slight kink in my turbo intet hose.I fixed the kink and just recorded a log.
http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/3...Ow5rCm8OjZlLDlsKZwq1qw7sJw6EHd8Ojw4LClsKNAAAA
i havnt checked the cams, ill look more into that.I just checked the vacuum line going to the actuator and im getting 20"Hg
Thank you @Motohead. I didnt even think to look at the IAT. Would i be able to log IAT and Boost together?

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Yes you can log them together but there in different groups in vcds. Not a problem though you should still see enough resolution for the most part.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Sounds like your vacuum system is healthy. What sort of boost/rpm levels are you getting surge at? Is it altitude dependent?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
IAT and altitude won't affect boost that heavily, because the tune accounts for changes in air density. Difference in air density at -40C and + 40C is about 30% and sea level vs 1km up is another 12% or so, tunes have to account for such a wide variance.

Last edited:

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Usually i can hear the compressor stall after i shift out of first gear. Im not really sure about what rpms or boost, i didnt really pay attention.

It usually happens when my boost gauge starts buzzing and let off the acceleration.

I honestly dont think that there is anything wrong with thee tune.
i will try a differnet MAF and N75 and will report back

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
I installed the new N75 and MAF and decided to check for a boost leak again. i found a tiny leak where the MAP senor bung is, i must have stripped the threads when swapping out MAPs.

im going to order a new bung and weld it.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Careful with that much overboost at that high of RPM, turbo is spinning very fast. Can cut fueling a bunch if you'd like but that can only do so much.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Got some updates :D

i havnt touched the overboost issue since but i have started taking the runner apart.

i am going to redo the whole front suspension in order to lower the Runner.
With the leaf springs i can not lower it because the pitman arm will hit the leaf spring. So i will be reusing the factor fj80 Land Cruiser suspension.

parts that i have so far:
fj80 land cruiser axle with factory locker
ballistic fab adjustable coil bucker
radius arms / panhard bar / sway bar
frame stiffener plates
coils

ive started taring apart the leaf suspension this weekend
i got the frame all cleaned up, its fready for the frame reinforcment to be welded on

Untitled by lex kiselev, on Flickr

Untitled by lex kiselev, on Flickr

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
The fj80 will be 2.3" wider than what i have right now (mini axle w/ IFS hubs and 1.25" spacers). I was thinking about matching the rear but not anytime soon. The rear axle is offset by 3.5" to the passenger side right where my gas tank is. I would have to modify the tank to clear the driveshaft

KBCB

TDI
none
I'll be watching to see how this goes, as I might to have to consider something similar. I installed cross-over steering on my 4R and because I don't have much lift on mine I had to make my own, nearly flat, pitman arm and I have concerns that the linkage is going to contact the pan significantly.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
That axle looks beastly under there, but what's really catching my eye is those jackstands. They are pretty hardcore looking!

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
haha :D Yeah i know, they look russian ghetto fab. My brother built for one of his projects. I need to invest in some proper stands

KBCB

TDI
none
No, I had considered moving it forward but decided against it. Don't remember why.

KBCB

TDI
none
I'm curious, why did you decide to go with an 80 axle, instead of adding coils to the axle that you already had?

Inquiring minds... :D

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
There are a few reasons why i chose the 80.
The mini axle isnt wide enough for coils springs, i could have used coil-overs but thats out of my budget
I wanted to retain the factory arms and suspension to keep the cost down
The 80 is wider, so i wouldnt need to run any spacers and ifs hubs ( more stress on trunion bearings)
the birfields are bigger and stronger... nothing compared to longfields, but those are also $$

Last but not least, a high pinion 3rd w/ ELOCKER :D