Anyone Know Why My Brakes Squeak In Reverse Only?

Just Drifting

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I've noticed on occasion that my brakes will squeak when I am braking when backing up, but not when braking while rolling forward?

Why is this?

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Warped rotors.

Ever washed them when they were hot?

Guess why they tell you not to do that?

Maybe, if you put it away wet (which I often do) and then left it for awhile rust built up on them. (It's possible)

IGotaTDI

I have the same problem..... why in reverse and not in forward if they are warped? or if they have rust? if they do it one way, why not the other...???

Just Drifting

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I was thinking that maybe it's just moisture or condensation from the night and when I back up in the morning they'll squeak because they're wet.

By the time I move to forward and break, the moisture has been removed/dried due to the previous breaking?

I dunno, just a thought.

I'd hate to think I have bad rotors at 8600 miles.

Anyone else have a simpler kinder explanation?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
It's not warped rotors.
Sometimes I get the feeling that a bad injector will get blamed on warped rotors around here....

Could be 2 reasons.

Pads run forward 99.99% of the time, and get scrubbed in that direction almost exclusively. When run backwards, and at slow speeds this directional scrubbing makes the pads vibrate.

While that's possible.... it's more likely that it has to do with a small rust coating being scrubbed off that makes the pad vibrate.

Jetta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS
I remember reading on this board several months ago that there is a TSB on this. If I remember correctly, VW was replacing some pads to rectify the problem.

Mine does this too, but it's not a big enough annoyance for me to pursue having it fixed.

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Yes, yes, yes.
The brake pad composition can have an effect on the noise you hear, as well as the condensation
ala moisture and slight rust on surface and the opposite direction rub from the usual.
I just wanted to point out that people often damage their car w/o knowing it, then again
some dealer techs have been known to do some dumb things as well I guess.
Well, if you feel there's an issue with your shoe gear.
You have to take a look at how much of a squeak you hear, ie; is it a screech or peep?
How long does it occur, does it happen after driving for awhile, then checking again.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
My '01 does the same. The brakes squeal in reverse only, yet are silent going forward. My interpretation of this is:

a) The rotors are NOT warped
b) It is not indicative of anything faulty in the brake system itself.
c) It is a very high speed oscillation caused by the friction/interaction between the rotor and pad material.
d) Most often, it is the pad backing plate vibrating against the caliper housing that produces the squeal.

It is my opinion that the the natural wear pattern on both the pads and rotor combine to produce a polarization of sorts. In reverse, you are 'going against the grain' as it were, and the oscillation occurs. Many other makes of cars use 'leaf spring' and 'rubber mat' devices to prevent squeal. These essentially amount to dampeners between the calipers and pads. I wouldn't take this as a fault or dangerous but is somewhat embarassing coming from a new car. I am about to change out my pads to some Mintex Reds and hope that it will resolve the squeal problem as well. If, indeed, there was a TSB about this and the dealer will fix it for free, I would go for it. My pads are going to need replacing (rear only) anyway so that is my solution. I am hoping that the composition of the pad material on the Mintex's will not be as susceptible to producing squeal as the OEM pads.

Just Drifting

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
FYI:

Called dealership to see if there was a TSB on this and the Service Writer said no. He said that it may be "brake dust."

I'm not so sure about that one...

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
HEY!!!!
My B4 does that too! I started a topic on B4 forum and noone answered
BUT!!! My car squeaks when backing up ONLY if I steer too! If the steering wheel is in the normal position (I mean going straight) and backing up no sound can be heard. If however is rotated at least 30 degrees (1 or 11 o'clock) the sound can be heard no matter what direction I steer (left or right).
I addressed this problem to the forum and there was no answer.

WELL! if it is the pads why don't they squeak when I back up straight??! Only when I backup steering left or right.

How do they squeak at yours?!
Mine squeaks with pauses.

squeak!.......(pause).... squeak!.... etc.etc.

I just hope I get an answer here...

TIA!

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Question to you all.... Do you all drive in reverse?

It's not uncommon for disc brakes to squeek in reverse. As was mentioned earlier, the pads are used 99.999999999% of the time going forward. The pads wear in that direction and therefor when you go reverse, the pad in its entirety is pressing up against the rotor with the sharper(less used portion) of the pad touching. It then causes vibrations. It's not dissimilar to toeing in brakes on a bicycle to prevent the squeeling when braking going forward. But.. When you toe in a brake pad on a bike it squeeks up a storm when moving the bike backward and braking. The addition of the thin rust layer (after sitting overnight, washing the car, driving in the rain etc..) just causes more vibrations thus more squeeling. The original rear pads on my golf (2000) never squeeled in either direction. That's because they were soft but they wore down super quick. Now, the new pads are harder, wear a lot slower but occasionally squeel. There's nothing wrong with your rotors and there's nothing wrong with your pads. All's good. As long as it's not a metal to metal sound and there's plenty of meat left on your pads all's good.
Hope that helped!

cage

Top Post Dawg
Don't worry about it. It is the fact that the pads wear in going foreward. When you back up it is kind of like petting your cat or dog backwards. As long as the noise is only while backing there is absolutely nothing wrong. Friends Mercedes S500 does the exact same thing. My car is on it's second set of brakes and has always done that.

AusSalzburg

Veteran Member
The TSB was for premature rear brake pad wear. Not for brake squeek.
Intermittant brake squeek from any car is normal. It's a harmonic brake pad vibration caused by surface rotor residue being knocked off or certain temperatures.
The semi-metallic pads will squeek. If you replace them, they will sometimes squeek.
See ya, Michael.