Rear Suspension Noise

tdiflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI. Gone to the kids but still maintaining: 2002 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS
At 160K km, my '02 Jetta is now producing the same noises as my earlier A4's with the same mileage. Even with just the driver on board, going over any sharp bump produces a loud "bam" from the back end. It seems to be worse on the passenger side but that may just be coincidental. How do I get rid of this?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Agree 100% with the Grizz...after having done this on a number of A-4's with the problem that you discribe.

The hyrdaulic bushing has died. You'll also find a lot of corrosion in the bushing "cradle". You will understand what I mean by the term cradle when you press out the old rubber bushing (which is fitted into a cradle).
This assembly (bushing and cradle) is then pressed into a sleeve.
The three parts bushing, cradle and sleeve are what makes up the whole hydraulic bushing.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
tdiflyer said:
Even with just the driver on board, going over any sharp bump produces a loud "bam" from the back end. It seems to be worse on the passenger side but that may just be coincidental. How do I get rid of this?
Your title on this post stated, Rear Suspension Noise ?

Is it heard in the rear of the car or in the mid-front section?:confused:

If it's the "rear" of the car it could be a couple things.

Perch mount under the rear spring worn clean

Rear Shock mounts, they wear out and causing a clucking noise.

I replaced mine this past summer, 210,000 km of use were spent and heard a clunking noise from wear.

Lower Control Arms are in the front area, different then hearing it from the back of the car. I had lower control arms that were spent after 320,000 km of use.

Here's my old ones.

Still attached to the car LCA.

I replaced the LCA's with Audi TT bushings. I'm not a fan of this modification, especially with the bad roads we have here in N.E. I find the suspension has too much feed back for my taste. Of couse I could be wrong, myself having Bilstein HD struts and rear dampeners adds further insult to injury on ride harshness.

What I like about the OEM "LCA" replacement is the ability to buy the entire control arm with the bushings in place brand new and complete ridding the vice and C-Clamp removal of the rusted in old bushings.

If it's a noise from the rear of the car it could even be the set of 4 bushings in the rear main solid beam axle assembly [whatever that's called].

BrianCT

tdiflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI. Gone to the kids but still maintaining: 2002 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS
Thanks guys. The noise is definitely in the back, so the control arm bushings aren't the problem - yet! I was worried it might be the rear axle bushings which were a nuisance on earlier models but now they're not replaceable so I was hoping for another solution. Looks like the shock mounts are the most probable source of my noise. How long to swap them out?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
rear axle bushings

tdiflyer said:
Snip...Snip.. I was worried it might be the rear axle bushings which were a nuisance on earlier models but now they're not replaceable so I was hoping for another solution. Snip...Snip
The rear axle bushing ARE replaceable. In-fact these hydraulic bushings are having a rather high failure rate. VW has come out replacement which is a solid rubber unit.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
tdiflyer said:
How long to swap them out?
Not very long. It's pretty easy to do actually, it took me in my driveway about an hour. I not only replaced the rear shocks themselves, I also replaced the shock mounts too.

There's a how to guide on rear shock replacement, but I didn't see it in the "How To" section itself. However, I did find the rear axle beam bushing replacement "how to" and it is posted way below. I plan on doing a GTG for rear axle bushings this winter, after January and the holidays. Maybe keep an eye out for that because alot of use around CT area have complained of the noises and rear alignment trailing of these cars on highway speeds.

How old are your shocks in the rear? That also could be an issue as well concerning thumping noises.

Do it yourself rear axle beam bushing replacement.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
A banging sound in the rear is definitely the rear axle bushings..

Do yourself a favour, pick up 2 new bushings, drop the rear axle and take it to a shop. Get them to press the old bushings out and press the new ones in. Should take them about 5 mins and probably 20-40 bucks out of your pocket.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
LNXGUY said:
A banging sound in the rear is definitely the rear axle bushings..

Do yourself a favour, pick up 2 new bushings, drop the rear axle and take it to a shop. Get them to press the old bushings out and press the new ones in. Should take them about 5 mins and probably 20-40 bucks out of your pocket.
Whats the cost of bushings?

tdiflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Guess that's what I get for believing what I read in my Bentley! It makes more sense to me that it's the axle bushings causing the noise although the shock mounts will be a bit easier to change. Thanks for the link to the replacement procedure. I'm putting together an Impex order this week anyway, but I suspect these jobs will probably wait till spring now. There are several standards of shock mounts on the Impex site, all showing applicability for 2002 Jetta IV 1.9 ALH. What's the difference?

To answer BrianCT's question, the shocks are original stock, 162K km since new.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI said:
Cost of replacing all 4 bushings in a jetta? How much are the parts themseleves and how much labour is involved?
About USD$60.00. Here is the part number here, 1J0501541C.

I have the possibilty to do this in Syracuse, NY too ....for those who are interested. We have a home with a 2 car garage and heat. There are many more who are from Canada and upper state NY who'd want to do this in a group.

The bearing/bushing bench presses are very portable. I think the best thing would be for me to do the job myself and see the short cuts or ... draw backs on time for those who have to travel far. You don't have to drop the entire rear calipers or do a brake bleeding from what I've researched either. That'll save time.

BrianCT

vwfarmgirl

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Rear clunk - revisited

Hey all;
I noticed this is an old thread, but i am hoping BrianCT... you mentioned the possibility of rear bushing change for interested parties, and i am interested.
i have an 02 Jetta tdi... with the same rear clunking issue. sounds like, from previous posts, that it is most likely the rear (control arm or axle??) bushings or the rear axle bearings. i bought this car about 3 years ago. already replaced the rear struts. springs looked pretty new. just replaced the front left bearing. nothing else i know of in the front or rear suspension has yet been replaced, although i know the front struts need changing too.
problem is... i don't have the tools to do this kind of work myself. we all know what shops charge, particularly for these kinds of things... anyone able to help me replace these for a fee, of course, but allow me to help and learn?
i am in putnam valley, ny 10579 at present but i am willing to drive to find someone who can help.

thanks!